The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 11, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Rourke

Combat Vest/Carry AR-15 Magazines

Hello all - I am looking for opinions on the best way to carry multiple AR-15 30-rd magazines. I see a huge amount of vests on the net - looking for experienced opinions on what works the best. I am on a budget - so please keep that in mind.

Thanks - Rourke
Old January 11, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
sam1chlt

Look here

I found some stuff here for very cheap!! I don't know what you budget is, but I bought the 30 round pouches for $8 and got a bunch of them to fit onto my belt!

http://www.qm-supply.com/zenstore/in...=index&cPath=2
Old January 12, 2009, 07:02 PM   #3
mskdgunman

It really depends on what you plan on using it for. If you're going to the sandbox either as military or as a contractor, your needs will be different then say someone in law enforcement. It may even differ if you are a contractor who is working a static security detail as opposed to someone who is running convoys or patrols.

Most military sets ups will carry anywhere from 8 to 16 rifle magazines along with grenades, smokes, commo, medical kits, handgun mags and probably a bunch of other stuff. LEO rigs tend to be smaller carrying 2 to 4 mags, maybe some shotgun ammo, a radio and a couple handgun mags.

I have several different rigs for three gun matches and such and a couple dedicated for work. I've had good luck with Specter Gear, SORD, Tactical Tailor and SpecOps. If you are not sure, get a good basic MOLLE set up (possibly with internal mag pouches for 6 mags) and then you can add and subtract other stuff as the mission changes. The choice of vest or chest rig is purely personal as both have pluses and minuses in certain situations.

This is a good overall place to shop for gears as they carry most of the major brands and their prices are competitive.

http://www.optactical.com/mollevestsrigs.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom Multicam rig.jpg (57.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg Specter Gear Mk3 rig.jpg (262.9 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg Spec Ops Brand.jpg (64.3 KB, 356 views)

Tags
ar-15 , magazines