The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2018, 07:33 PM   #26
hounddawg

think of it this way, 30 - 06 brass is cheaper than a new rifle or corrective surgery
Old February 19, 2018, 07:37 PM   #27
Dufus

Quote:
I was too wondering about making 308 outta 30-06. I have purchased a bunch (200-300) of inexpensive 7.62x51 LC once fired cases that work quire well in my 308. I just clean, FL size, measure and trim if necessary, remove primer crimps and load just like I do my 308 brass (different powder charges reached in a work up). I get several 7/8" groups and an occasional 3/4" group in my Ruger bolt gun, just as good as Hornady or Nosler brass...
What does this have to do with the OP????
Old February 19, 2018, 10:14 PM   #28
Yosemite Steve

Why is it suggested by some to have .002" headspace? What is wrong with having .000" headspace? If set my die to give me a full chamber will that cause me some grief?

Redding's Todd Spotti: http://www.redding-reloading.com/tec...with-headspace Says that zero headspace is best.

I have very carefully measured to get a perfect gap between my die base and shell holder so that when I full size a case there is a very slight bit of feel just as the bolt handle gets to the fully closed position. I keep seeing others who say to give .002" of headspace. Can someone enlighten me?
Old February 19, 2018, 11:30 PM   #29
Slamfire

Quote:
I could do it the Slamfire way and lube the bullets up so that they slide back as they are fired preventing case head stretching.
It is surprising how few shooters know about the mechanisms that used greased/oiled cases.

This is one, the Oerlikon. If the cases were not lubricated, they tore in half. How do you think this mechanism worked? Probably never heard of it, right?

Lightly apply lubricant on the outside of the case, and fire it in a mechanism with a claw extractor. That's what I am doing. No jamming the bullet in the throat, no fillers, no air or air head.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:39 AM   #30
F. Guffey

Quote:
It is surprising how few shooters know about the mechanisms that used greased/oiled cases.

This is one, the Oerlikon. If the cases were not lubricated, they tore in half. How do you think this mechanism worked? Probably never heard of it, right?
The only way they could get it to work was grease it, Garand did not grease it, Browning did not grease it etc. etc. after that? They did not build another 'grease your bullet' gun, and then there were the beaches, they had to be careful someone did not run by and kick sand in your into their grease box.

F. Guffey