The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 12, 2018, 09:36 AM   #26
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof50 View Post
Only in forums...where you're likely to read just about anything. Why ask the question? Seems odd.
^^^This. Heck, iffin it wasn't for caliber wars, forums like this would only have about two thirds of the active threads that they do. Take out "what gun for bear?" threads, and you would probably only hear crickets chirping.

Folks repeat misinformation they glean from the interweb. Folks have a caliber that works for them and believe it is the holy grail. Other's just like to stir the pot. Nature of the beast. No need to feed the fires.
Old February 12, 2018, 09:37 AM   #27
Charlie98

Quote:
Folks have a caliber that works for them and believe it is the holy grail.
Same same with firearms.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 12, 2018, 12:06 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nothing ever equals something else, especially in handguns.

They are, however, in the same class.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 13, 2018, 09:48 PM   #29
ThomasT

My bud bought a 10mm about a year ago to wear while fishing in Colorado and needing bear protection. He has never been chased by a bear. He has never seen a bear while fishing. He has a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag he has never worn while fishing but he felt the need for a gun for bear protection. I strongly suspect he just wanted a new gun. No problem with that.

I have owned 3 41 mag revolvers so am familiar with them and the power they put out. I shot a mag full of 10mm and was not over whelmed with what I felt for power. But I understood right then why people like them.

It is a powerful handgun. It has a good usable capacity. It is lighter in weight than a revolver. While not quite as powerful as a 41 mag it is still a step up over the 357 I like so much. It is a gun I have under consideration if a new gun is wanted. I liked it.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:35 AM   #30
samsmix

Quote:
Heck, iffin it wasn't for caliber wars, forums like this would only have about two thirds of the active threads that they do. Take out "what gun for bear?" threads, and you would probably only hear crickets chirping.
Quote:
No need to feed the fires.
I get it, but without this stuff we would have precious darn little "gun stuff" to talk about. Name a purpose, and I'll get we all have our favorite caliber/gun/bullet for that job, and I'll bet they all work for us, mostly.

What shall we do, just close down the forum because it's all been said before? I pop in here now and again for the past 12 years to talk guns with gun people. I'm not sure where the harm is in spilling a little digital ink?

Getting back to the main topic, there seems to be a big difference in the two when we compare apples to apples, by which I mean high end loads to high end loads, and low end to low end. I like both calibers, but it doesn't seem to me that they are in the same class. One seems to be an upper end defensive cartridge, while the other is a true magnum hunting round.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 14, 2018, 11:44 AM   #31
pete2

I see no reason for the 10 or 41 or the 40 for that matter. .357, .45 and .44 mag. are better.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:46 AM   #32
Lohman446

I don't see this as the traditional "caliber war" where we discuss calibers and their use for certain things such as self defense or hunting.

The comparison of the 10MM to the .41 magnum is simply a poor comparison because when one compares them across their entire range the upper 10MM rounds only reach into the lower .41 round territory. When you compare the top end of each load the 10MM does not equate to the .41 in any manner.

Its a simple formula. The 10MM, when comparing loads that sit equivalently in their own charts in regards to max. energy for the cartridge, does not compare to the .41

Its like saying a Fiesta compares to a Ferrari in speed because you once saw two of them driving side by side on the highway at the same speed.

My favorite round is the 10MM. I don't own a .41 nor do I intend to.
Old February 14, 2018, 02:53 PM   #33
RickB

There was good article on the S&W Model 58 in Firearms News, a few months ago.
They rehashed the issues with the dual nature of the .41 Mag cartridge, the resulting size/weight of the .41 Military & Police, then they tested the gun with three types of ammo, all within the normal range for 10mm.
The 58 was intended as a service revolver, just as the Bren Ten was intended as a service pistol.
The "magnum" rounds for both were part of the guns' lack of success.
Old February 14, 2018, 04:30 PM   #34
Charlie98

Quote:
I see no reason for the 10 or 41 or the 40 for that matter. .357, .45 and .44 mag. are better.
The .357 is better than the .41? ...and I'm assuming you are talking .45 Colt...

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 14, 2018, 07:08 PM   #35
agtman

Quote:
In an autoloader of reasonable size and weight?