The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2019, 09:55 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Beretta Pico questions

I handled the Pico today at a Cabela's. It impressed me as a very well built gun for under $270. I had a couple questions though...

1. The mag release button is tiny and awkward to manipulate. No matter what I did it just dug into my thumb and would not eject. I had to pinch both sides of the mag release with my weak hand to get the mag to drop free. Does it get easier with practice or is that just the way it's made?

2. Slide lock lever, fully recessed, so impossible to manipulate. Again, something you get used to it do you just find other ways to lock the slide open?

3. Does anyone use any rubber grip products, like Hogue, to beef up the grip a bit? It was tiny!

I like the Pico and hope to find a store that won't keep it under a permanent trigger lock.
Old February 11, 2019, 10:09 PM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

The Pico IMO is one heck of a great gun. I have posted many reviews on this forum. Extremely well built. I have a size large hand and this gun fits perfect. It is a gun that has a learning curve, but once you invest some time in it, you will reap huge rewards.
Just had it out yesterday and was burning up a small target at 10 yds. Mild shooting little sucker. Great sights, stainless steel chassis, mags look like custom 1911.

Use the gun for a while. The Springs in the Pico are first class, and strong, but will break in. You will eventually be able to use all the slide stop and mag release blinded folded. There are many photo's etc. available. By the way, I came home last night and now thinking about adding a third one. Keep one as a safe queen. I use one for carry and one for heavy range work.

By the way, Buds has them now for $196.00, a heck of a deal and that is free shipping.
Personally I would pay three times that amount if that was what they sold for.

You can get a good view from this link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbuqy5C
Old February 11, 2019, 10:18 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Thanks! Wow that price at Buds is insane.

Does it come with one magazine or two? I seem to find contradictory info.
Old February 12, 2019, 01:45 AM   #4
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Thanks! Wow that price at Buds is insane.

Does it come with one magazine or two? I seem to find contradictory info.
Two mags, One with the extended grip and one with the short. I now have 12 magazines and all have never failed. What I have noticed about Beretta, or at least "BUDS" they will sometimes dip in price, but not for long before they go right back up.
I had just put a bid on another gun at Gunbroker, and so far have been high bid, so I am hoping that someone out bids me. If so, I will forget that gun, and get the third Pico.

And notice they are Gen2 not Gen 3. Not much difference but the slide serrations. So be warned about that. Sorry I did not notice this yesterday.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 12, 2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old February 12, 2019, 05:33 AM   #5
PSP

Both the mag release and the slide release became easier to manipulate with use and practice. I used a grip cover for a while but it would slip so I discontinued using it. I did purchase one of the integrated laser frames when they were on sale and must say I like it very much. It has stayed sighted in true through about 1000 rounds so far.
Old February 12, 2019, 05:38 AM   #6
Carmady

I had a Pico for a while, and as much as I liked it overall I just couldn't bond with the grip. The backstrap and trigger were too close to each other.

About that mag release, iirc I would lightly pinch it from both sides and then pull down. It pivots on a pin, so it's not a straight movement. I've seen some flack about it, the flackers didn't seem to realize the benefit which is its design prevents accidental releasing of the mag while firing because the middle finger holds it closed while being gripped.
Old February 12, 2019, 06:47 AM   #7
tallball

I got a Pico for cheap and admittedly haven't fired it more than a hundred rounds or so.

For my XXL hands, the trigger guard goes down too low towards the bottom of the grip, making the grip smaller than it needs to be.

I was not successful figuring out how to use the mag release one-handed.

Similarly, I kind of "gave up" on the slide release and just pulled the slide back to release it after I loaded a new mag.

They seem like nicely-built guns, and I was more accurate with it than I expected. I prefer my LCPII, but am keeping the Pico as a backup. I am typically not very busy in the summer and will put more time into practicing with the Pico then.
Old February 12, 2019, 06:55 AM   #8
OhioGuy

Thanks for pointing that out. I was aware of Gen 2 vs 3.

Some reviews say the Gen 3 greatly improved the trigger and made the slide easier to rack, although I don't know of that's only a reference to the serrations or if they lightened the spring?

Do any of you have direct experience with the generation 2 vs 3 and an opinion about whether the difference is really very great?
Old February 12, 2019, 10:04 AM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
I had a Pico for a while, and as much as I liked it overall I just couldn't bond with the grip. The backstrap and trigger were too close to each other.

About that mag release, iirc I would lightly pinch it from both sides and then pull down. It pivots on a pin, so it's not a straight movement. I've seen some flack about it, the flackers didn't seem to realize the benefit which is its design prevents accidental releasing of the mag while firing because the middle finger holds it closed while being gripped.
So true, the mag release was actually designed for this purpose. A lot of folks do not understand this. I think many try and make the Pocket guns into combat guns and they are not. And if you know much about pocket guns, the mag falling out while shooting has always been problematic for some shooters.

Ohio Guy, I believe it was the GEN 2 that featured the new trigger and Single recoil spring over the two springs they used before. The Gen. 3 was only the slide serrations. I can research this as all this info is out there, placed on another forum.
Regardless, Beretta will upgrade any gun for free and has a short down time. They will even deliver it back to your house.

At Buds you can see the New Model that Sells for around $238.00 which is still a great deal.
Here is one of my Pico's where I took a grip and tried my hand at stippling. Notice the serrations are slanted.

As far as the grip, I shot the gun so often, I found that the gun would go very tight into the meaty part of my hand between the forefinger and thumb. Holds like a anchor. I also too a grip and did this and it really holds tight.

Old February 12, 2019, 10:08 AM   #10
jar

Only experience with Gen 3.

I found the Pico requires a different drill for magazines but I've gotten used to so many different magazine release systems over the decaded that the Pico system was not a problem and I even kinda like it.

What I do is off hand get the new mag. I fire two sets of double taps before a mag change. Procedure is the hand holding the new magazine reaches up and thumb and index finder pull the mag release. Empty mag falls free and new mag gets inserted with a butt slap at the end.

It actually works well and quickly.

I find the trigger and slide effort to fall in the middle of the pack; easier than my S&W M&P BG380 or Ruger LCP but not as easy as my Remington RM380 or Sig P290RS.

My Pico really is one slim sucker and very easy to conceal but I also find the slightly wider grips on the RM380 and P290RS fit my hand better and allow better followup shots.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:12 AM   #11
tarhealcracker

I too struggled with the backstrap/trigger distance. If you are out of practice and have large hands your trigger finger tends to to lose it's position. No matter, the other fine characteristics of the gun out weigh that issue.
My Pico was a 1st generation I sent in for the factory upgrade. What a great job they did. Dead reliable ever since.
Old February 14, 2019, 10:04 PM   #12
OhioGuy

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I ordered one from Bud's for $191 with the FDE frame. Cheaper than the Taurus Spectrum and easily of higher build quality.

Excited to shoot around with it! It should come in very handy when it starts warming up again and I have to where tucked in shirts.
Old February 15, 2019, 04:50 AM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I ordered one from Bud's for $191 with the FDE frame. Cheaper than the Taurus Spectrum and easily of higher build quality.

Excited to shoot around with it! It should come in very handy when it starts warming up again and I have to where tucked in shirts.
Congrats Ohioguy, I consider these guns investment rather than a purchase. I have two now and thinking about buying a third to use as a safe queen. Just remember to take your time and go through the learning curve for handling. It will get to the point that you can do all of the actions blind folded.

I shoot this gun often, have a size large hand and can actually handle it better and more secure than a thicker grip gun. Shoot it enough and you will find that the thin design actually works to a advantage for gripping.

I love the Trigger on the Pico, It is on the heavy side, but, it is very smooth and deliberate all the way through. I always feel in total control with this trigger. Personally can shoot this gun at fast pace to multiple targets faster than other guns I have owned and shot in the same class. It is surprising how fast a small gun can actually Be.
Get plenty of range time. It is a "FUN" gun to shoot. I look forward to every session with it.
Again congrats. I feel I know this gun well, if you have any questions, feel free to email and I will be glad to help out if I can.

TIP-buy some snap caps, Handle the gun often. Don't rush, the controls at first will feel like Beretta did not know what they were doing. But then, you discover just how well Beretta did with this design in every single aspect of the gun. It is also a gun that you can hold and just admire the fine craftsmanship.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbuqy5C

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 15, 2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old February 15, 2019, 06:55 AM   #14
OhioGuy

Thanks, Carl! I'm looking forward to it. Tiny guns are a new area for me. I've been shooting larger guns for quite a while and there's really not much to learn if I buy or rent New Model X, other than "Oh look, another polymer-framed gun with a trigger." The Pico seems like a challenge worth taking on
Old February 15, 2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Carmady

Mr. OhioGuy, you might want to put a dab of blue threadlocker on the front sight screw, or keep a .050" allen wrench handy to keep it tight. Mine flew off just shy of 70 rounds.
Old February 15, 2019, 06:48 PM   #16
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
Mr. OhioGuy, you might want to put a dab of blue threadlocker on the front sight screw, or keep a .050" allen wrench handy to keep it tight. Mine flew off just shy of 70 rounds.
Good Point!
Old February 16, 2019, 12:14 AM   #17
elde

And invest in a set of rubberized Talon Grips. They allow me to hold onto both of my Picos.
Old February 16, 2019, 08:05 AM   #18
OhioGuy

Thanks for the tip on the front sight. I've had 3 front sights fall off 3 different pistols -- a Walther and a CZ just lost the sight entirely, and an XD lost the fiber optic insert. Very frustrating.

Ironically, for all the "don't trust electronic sights! They'll FAIL!!! And you will DIE, probably while ON FIRE!" I've not yet had a red dot fail or lose zero, but I've lost front sights off of three guns....

Yes definitely on the talon grips. I have rubberized grips on every gun I own.
Old February 16, 2019, 08:07 AM   #19
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Here is one of my Pico's where I took a grip and tried my hand at stippling. Notice the serrations are slanted.

Did you have the Knob Creek before or after stippling?
Old February 16, 2019, 09:52 AM   #20
Siggy-06

I usually drink some Four Roses before stippling...XD
Old February 16, 2019, 01:00 PM   #21
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Did you have the Knob Creek before or after stippling?
Before and After.
Old February 18, 2019, 05:24 PM   #22
Prof Young

Pico is well made gun.

I owned a Pico for a year. I even got a laser grip and a flashlight grip for it. I sold it off because I just could not shoot it as well as I wanted too. It has what I would call a sloppy trigger. But a lot of people love their Picos and can shoot them well. Go for it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 18, 2019, 07:38 PM   #23
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
I owned a Pico for a year. I even got a laser grip and a flashlight grip for it. I sold it off because I just could not shoot it as well as I wanted too. It has what I would call a sloppy trigger. But a lot of people love their Picos and can shoot them well. Go for it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Sloppy trigger? On the contrary, I love the Pico trigger. There is no free play, deliberate and smooth all the way through. A trigger I feel totally in control of with each shot. Had it out Sat and again Sun. Always shooting targets in fast action. Again, a lot of ammo goes down range with the Pico each week. They can be very quick. A bad guy would do well to not underestimate the quickness of this this Little Snake.
Old February 18, 2019, 11:20 PM   #24
Siggy-06

I just wish the grip was slightly longer, or the pinky extension was a little shorter. I still rotate it with my LCP for pocket carry though.
Old February 19, 2019, 07:21 AM   #25
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
I just wish the grip was slightly longer, or the pinky extension was a little shorter. I still rotate it with my LCP for pocket carry though.

Dremel can be your friend.