The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2019, 07:50 PM   #1
edcwhitewolf92

What do you all think about the Smith & Wesson M&P 380 EZ?

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this thing. But when I did have it I liked it a lot and it felt a lot like the shield 9mm.
https://youtu.be/TdVAEpg1i7k

It's so unbelievably easy. What do you all think?

Last edited by edcwhitewolf92; February 6, 2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:04 PM   #2
edcwhitewolf92

how in the world do you embed clips on this place lol
Old February 6, 2019, 08:12 PM   #3
jar

I find it slightly easier to rack than my S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 but not easier to rack than my Remington RM380 or my Sig P290RS 380. It is definitely easier to rack than my Ruger LCP or Beretta Pico.

After examining several specimens at several LGS I decided it was simply not significantly easier in any function than what I already have.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:13 PM   #4
tlm225

I bought one for my wife to replace the 9mm that she has difficulty racking the slide on (age, arthritis, grip strength). My initial impression is good since she picked it out and has not problem manipulating it. I won't be fully on board until she shoots it. I do have some concerns about the multiple reports I've read of the last live round from the magazine "stovepiping".

Color me cautiously optimistic.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:13 PM   #5
blchandl2

I bought one for my wife. I enjoy shooting it as well. I was "gun shy" of S&W after owning a POS SW9VE. I had to think about it for a long time before buying another S&W product.

It is easy to operate, soft recoil, and functions reliably.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:15 PM   #6
edcwhitewolf92

Jar
Roger that man!
Old February 6, 2019, 08:16 PM   #7
edcwhitewolf92

Tim225 I saw an interesting jam on hickock's YT video. I haven't had any on mine, I ran about 700 rounds through it so far. I like it, but I haven't carried it. Just take it to the range.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:18 PM   #8
edcwhitewolf92

blchandl2
A lot of the gun ranges are now renting them. I like that you can test it out before you buy. A lot of the ranges apply the range fee off the price of the gun if you buy. *not all ranges do this.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:33 PM   #9
sigarms228

I think the Shield EZ 380 is a sweet pistol and a grand slam for the intended market. I tried one last year as a factory shoot at my LGS and was impressed how easy it was to operate and so soft shooting. Just for fun I tried to rack the slide holding it just with my thumb and little finger and had no problem. Any one considering one should at least handle one to make sure that the grip safety is not a problem with it. I did not have a problem with it and most won't, it does not need to be pressed all the way in either but I have read of some with very weak hands who have difficulty gripping the pistol having a problem with it. The grip safety is needed because there is no firing pin safety block in other to make the trigger lighter and crisper.

I am glad Smith and Wesson made the Shield 380 EZ. Many of us may some day be in the position that we need one also.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:58 PM   #10
hammie

My wife has some degenerative problems in her hands and now has difficulty racking a slide. I've been trying to get a 380 EZ but my dealer is having trouble getting them. I did specify a 380 EZ with the manual safety. Since the EZ is hammer fired, I kind of feel that carrying one loaded, without a manual safety, would be similar to carrying a loaded 1911, cocked but not "locked". Doesn't seem safe, but maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by hammie; February 6, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old February 6, 2019, 09:05 PM   #11
gc70

My wife is a very experienced shooter and preferred .357 Magnum revolvers before having reconstructive hand surgery. Significant recoil is now painful and she lacks grip strength to manipulate the slide on most pistols.

When I was recently at the LGS picking up a gun, my wife saw a 380 EZ, racked the slide, and bought it on the spot. She has smaller 380s for concealed carry, but likes the EZ's somewhat larger size for range fun or as a nightstand gun.
Old February 6, 2019, 10:49 PM   #12
MoArk Willy

"I find it slightly easier to rack than my S&W M&P Bodyguard 380"
Wow....you must have an unusually smooth Bodyguard. The Shield EZ I racked was much easier than my Bodyguard. The Sig .380 also has a very smooth and easy rack. Unfortunately it's a little pricy compared to the Shield. Arthritic and gentleladies hand strength are two good reasons to consider these guns. But the Shield isn't quite as small as either the Sig P238 or the Bodyguard.
Old February 7, 2019, 07:26 AM   #13
USNRet93

WEll, it's a big .380 that is fun to shoot. If you are looking for a .380 that's also fun to shoot, go rent a Glock 42..I have 2, very reliable, easy to carry(more so than the Shield if that's what you are looking to do). Great gun. I got my last one at GB for $323..new one.
Another 'big' .380 is the Browning Black label if you like the '1911' format..

I also find it interesting the flack Glock got for the 42 when it was introduced, ‘so big’, ‘hoped for 9mm’, ‘so many 9mm same size, what’s the point’...and you see the success of the mentioned gun as well as the Browning...also the -42.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 7, 2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old February 7, 2019, 08:42 AM   #14
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcwhitewolf92 View Post
I'm not totally sure how I feel about this thing. But when I did have it I liked it a lot and it felt a lot like the shield 9mm.
https://youtu.be/TdVAEpg1i7k

It's so unbelievably easy. What do you all think?
After a decade of having issues with S&W I truly hated S&W
I thought the idea of the EZ was dumb as ass
Who in their right mind would want a relatively large, single action semi-auto 380?
Only an idiot would want such a thing, a blockhead notion at best

I was wrong

I had the chance to try one at an invitational event and order a pair before we left for home, one each with/without the thumb safety. So far both have at least 2500 rounds each through them, flawless so far with no cleaning at all, just a few needle drops of Mpro on contact points.

My opinion thus far is that the EZ is the 'just right' of Goldilocks fame.
Compact enough to easily carry, yet big enough for man sized hands.
Light and easy to manipulate, yet stupid soft recoil.
On and on, everything about it is 'just right'
Not just for me, but a wide array of shooters from kids, to 110lb ladies, to grown men, and even 6'3 220 county boys like me.

I'm still tempering my enthusiasm until they each get to 5k, but I'm confident enough to start carrying them regularly and have begun recommending them to both novice and experienced shooters.

I've shot and own lots of 380's, many great and wonderful designs, but all have fell short in the end. Too heavy, too fat, too thin, too snappy, not enough grip, odd manipulations, always something that wouldn't let which ever design it was be truly 100%.

380EZ = Homerun
Old February 7, 2019, 08:55 AM   #15
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoArk Willy View Post
"I find it slightly easier to rack than my S&W M&P Bodyguard 380"
Wow....you must have an unusually smooth Bodyguard. The Shield EZ I racked was much easier than my Bodyguard.
I was thinking the same exact thing.
Old February 7, 2019, 09:04 AM   #16
603Country

We got an EZ for the wife. It’s the first non-22 that she can load the mag with finger strength, rack the slide easily, and shoot with no recoil issues.

It was hard to find one. They sell fast.
Old February 7, 2019, 11:19 PM   #17
Ibmikey

Every one else “ got one for the wife” I bought one for me. The EZ is a neat pistol to shoot and I have carried mine while hunting Texas hogs, shooting several caught in traps, put them down with a bang. Otherwise I keep the EZ for a house pistol and have a light hanging below. I have not had any difficulties with my three magazines.
Old February 8, 2019, 02:52 AM   #18
kozak6

It's not for me.

But it seems like a great choice for anyone who might have difficulty operating and shooting a more conventional semiautomatic.
Old February 8, 2019, 08:46 AM   #19
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Every one else “ got one for the wife” I bought one for me. The EZ is a neat pistol to shoot and I have carried mine while hunting Texas hogs, shooting several caught in traps, put them down with a bang. Otherwise I keep the EZ for a house pistol and have a light hanging below. I have not had any difficulties with my three magazines.
Yes I don't get the whole 'it's a chick gun' thing, seems like some fellas simply have fragile egos....lol

Every guy I've introduced mine to loved them, with the more common comment being that it was a compact gun built for man sized hands. Which is one of the reasons I'm digging them so much. All the micro 380's are goofy awkward in that I can maybe get 2-2.5 fingers on the grip, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control. The EZ has a frame I can actually get a full grip on yet it's is still svelte enough to easily conceal, much more so than any full size pistol and even a number of compacts.

The best analogy I've been able to come up with is that it is sort of like a modern Makarov. Anyone with Mak experience knows it has a 'mans grip' yet is much more compact overall than typical service sized pistols, same for the EZ. That's why I've never been a particularly huge fan sub-compact pistols and even many compacts, you often lose grip area yet usually still have the bulk and/or recoil of a larger pistol.

This thing sort of flips that equation giving a decent mans grip with a more slimmed down overall shape, size, weight, all while getting soft recoil in a service caliber (yes 380 is a service caliber).
Old February 8, 2019, 08:48 AM   #20
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
We got an EZ for the wife. It’s the first non-22 that she can load the mag with finger strength, rack the slide easily, and shoot with no recoil issues.

It was hard to find one. They sell fast.
Very telling
The shops around here sell them as fast as they come in
Old February 8, 2019, 04:31 PM   #21
claydoctor

It may be easier to rack but it's slightly larger than the 9mm Shield I carry. I'm a few years yet from racking problems, so I'll stick with the.
9mm for now.
Old February 8, 2019, 06:02 PM   #22
ice monkey

Making the slide rack more easily is a good thing. On any gun. But I’m not sure if that’s where this pistols real value exists. Being able to empty a mag on target, shooting as fast as you can... man, that’s a sweet deal. Even if it’s a “lesser” caliber. Three strong hits vs one in any caliber with a pistol is insurance!

Sure there’s guys who can unload a .45 on target quickly, but they are rarer than people on gun forums might think.

That’s my thoughts. I’d carry it. I carry a 42. I’d carry the Smith.
Old February 8, 2019, 07:49 PM   #23
chrisintexas

What is causing the last round to stovepipe? For a pistol this big, and round comparatively anemic, it should have more than 8 rounds, don’t you think?
Old February 8, 2019, 09:43 PM   #24
MoArk Willy

"What is causing the last round to stovepipe?"
If it's not a mechanical issue more often than not it's the lack of a firm grip.
Both lightweight pistols and lower velocity ammo is prone to stovepipe if you aren't holding on tight enough.
Old February 11, 2019, 01:19 AM   #25
JJNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintexas View Post
What is causing the last round to stovepipe? For a pistol this big, and round comparatively anemic, it should have more than 8 rounds, don’t you think?
More rounds would make it thicker, defeating the point.

Tags
380 auto , 380 ez , m&p , s&w .380 , smith & wesson