The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2018, 04:44 PM   #26
Prof Young

Since you brought this up . . .

I will say that in order for my electronic scale to stabilize I have to turn off the overhead fan.

Just sayin'

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 5, 2018, 06:47 PM   #27
Average Joe

Heck, I started with a Lee dipper, how scientific is that ?
Old November 10, 2018, 08:00 AM   #28
nvcnvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
The joke I heard was a physicist, a mathematician and an engineer were taken out to the 50 yard line at local football stadium. At the end zone was the college's cheerleaders, and they were told that they can run from the 50 yard line advancing half the distance to the goal line each minute. If they make it to the goal line they will be able to date one of the cheerleaders. The physicist and the mathematician scoffed, but the engineer started running. The mathematician yelled at the engineer "What are you doing you will never reach the goal line?" The engineer replied "I can get close enough for all practical purposes."
This is funny only to those who are familiar with Zeno’s paradox (5th century BC). By the way this was attempted in a math class at the U of Chicago in the late forties....this is where the joke comes from.
Old November 10, 2018, 03:58 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

...and most people don't know the reason you can reach and pass the goal line (or that Achilles can pass the tortoise) is that consecutive halved numbers make what is called a converging series, and as soon as enough time has passed for them to converge with the goal line or the position of the tortoise, you are, thereafter moving past it. You have to remember not only the distance but the time required to cover it is halved with each step, too, and for the goal to be a sort of barrier, time would have to stop passing at the instant that time and distance converged to zero.

Prof Young,

Is your scale battery-operated or plug-in? If the latter, a noise filter can help, like the ones built into computer UPS units. Just use an old UPS with the dead battery removed as an extension cord for it to plug into. If it's battery-powered you may need a Faraday cage for it. I've had some limited luck just spray painting the inside of the plastic chassis with shielding paint and running a ground wire from it, but not all interference is amenable to that treatment.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle