The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 30, 2017, 02:31 AM   #1
rwilson452

And then there were two for USSC

I read on my FNC feed that it is down to two. Gorsuch and Hardiman,
Old January 30, 2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Both of those are solid picks with a past pro-Second Amendment view and who were confirmed to their appellate seats unanimously by a Democratic Senate, so it will be hard to now argue they are some kind of right-wing nutjobs.

Gorusch also is rated "unanimously well qualified" by the ABA. My only gripe with him is I think a SCOTUS comprised entirely of Harvard and Yale grads is completely out of touch with the rest of America. But that is a minor gripe, and its not like Hardiman, who is a Georgetown grad is going to dilute that monoculture much.

I think Gorusch will be easier to confirm; though of course all the past accolades by ABA and non-opposition by a Democratic Senate will be memory-holed if either candidate is nominated.

ETA: Hardiman wrote the dissent in this opinion where he argues that New Jerset's "justifiable need" requirement for a concealed carry permit violates even intermediate scrutiny (if that's too much legalese for you, suffice it to say that view would be a major shift in the right direction on the Second Amendment):
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-3rd-circuit/1640513.html

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; January 30, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old January 30, 2017, 10:08 AM   #3
2ndsojourn

Thanks for the update BR.

"....confirmed to their appellate seats unanimously by a Democratic Senate, so it will be hard to now argue they are some kind of right-wing nutjobs."

Oh, they'll argue. Not that it'll do any good since they're outnumbered.
Old January 30, 2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Now if Mrs. Bader-Ginsberg will just have the courtesy to retire gracefully ...
Old January 30, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
vicGT

I think it's down to one. Trump tweeted that he has made his selection.

And Aguila Blanca, I hope her Honor retires both immediately and with such grace that Breyer is deeply moved, and retires with her
Old January 30, 2017, 12:14 PM   #6
motorhead0922

Of Hardiman, WaPo writes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
But liberal groups oppose Hardiman as a Supreme Court choice, highlighting his opinions that have protected gun owners and limited the ability of citizens to hold police accountable. In Second Amendment cases, he has adopted a view more expansive than what the Supreme Court has so far endorsed.
I like the sound of that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b0de575cadab

On the other hand, Gorsuch is described on some web sites as very "Scalia-like". That sounds easier to get approved. I.e. put the court back the way it was.

Bartholomew Roberts, I looked at your link, but I am having trouble determining who wrote what parts of the opinion. Can you help me out?
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old January 30, 2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

If a candidate is opposed because of a gun rights stand - that is a good thing.

I wonder if it would predict the candidate (annoyed at the opposition) would be even more proactive.

However, even with Thomas and a progun candidate, the other 'conservatives' haven't really risen to the challenge after the two decisions (Heller and McD).
Old January 30, 2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Yes, that link is awkwardly organized. The first paragraph after "VII" is the end of the majority opinion and the first paragraph before "I" is the beginning of the dissent Hardiman wrote.

There has been some speculation Hardiman is the actual nominee and Gorusch is a signal to Kennedy that if he steps down now, Gorusch (Kennedy's former clerk) will replace him. Not sure how valid that is.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts

Gorsuch is the nominee.
Old January 31, 2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Gary L. Griffiths

Seems like the kind of original constructionist that we need on the Court!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)