The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2019, 04:44 PM   #26
Lohman446

Quote:
I have an Interarms PPK/S in 380 and never found the recoil to be an issue
I don't think the recoil is an issue in that I do not believe the gun is unshootable. I think the experienced shooter of other firearms who first shoots one of these is generally surprised by how much recoil he or she perceived. I think the shooter who shoots one of these next to a similiary sized firearm of a different action style in the same caliber would find this action to result in more perceived recoil. Is recoil in itself a negative thing? No. But if the intent was to introduce this as softer shooting compared to 9MM pistols in this size and weight I think they missed the mark.
Old February 15, 2019, 05:18 PM   #27
shurshot

I also love my Interarms PPK/S. 380. Recoil isn't bad, and it's super accurate. Pretty cool gun for 1925 technology, but I love steel guns and Bond films.
Old February 15, 2019, 06:54 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Lol, I love to see how the internet posters start a bashing, on a gun they never shot.
I've owned, carried and shot a PPK (Ranger Alabama Interarms) for somewhere around a quarter of a century. It's my carry gun when I can't conceal something larger.

It's a good shooter, although recoil is, I suppose, more than someone who isn't experienced with blowback pistols might expect for an all-steel pistol in .380ACP. It recoils more than my Kahr P9 which is a lighter gun and chambered in 9mm. That said, the muzzle rise is very controllable and it can easily be shot very rapidly.

Given the main reason I own it (small hideout carry gun--usually worn in a belly band type holster) I can't tolerate a long protrusion of metal sticking out of the back of the gun to poke me in the gut every time I bend over.
Old February 15, 2019, 08:47 PM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I don't think the recoil is an issue in that I do not believe the gun is unshootable. I think the experienced shooter of other firearms who first shoots one of these is generally surprised by how much recoil he or she perceived. I think the shooter who shoots one of these next to a similiary sized firearm of a different action style in the same caliber would find this action to result in more perceived recoil. Is recoil in itself a negative thing? No. But if the intent was to introduce this as softer shooting compared to 9MM pistols in this size and weight I think they missed the mark.
Man, what are you talking about? How about getting off the recoil nonsense? People will not be buying this gun for all the reasons you are presenting. It simply is a cool, nice built firearm in 380. And folks like that size. You keep talking about other shooters who will shoot this gun, like you know them. Sorry, just because you are so surprised by the amount of recoil of a measly 3lbs, is totally ridiculous.
This gun is classic and many love the feel of them. How about finding a gun you like and let others enjoy this gun?
Old February 15, 2019, 09:29 PM   #30
MoArk Willy

The PPK is a piece with history. If it's not the finest, shoots the best or has the lightest recoil....so what? It will have demand because of what it is, not because of what it is not.
I had planned to buy one but I settled for a Bersa Thunder.
Same size, almost the exact same weight and it's a good performer. In fact it has adj. rear sights which I believe the PPK does not.
But I would still want to have one.....just don't want to spend the $$$ at this time.
Old February 15, 2019, 09:53 PM   #31
Lohman446

. These are, traditionally, a beautiful gun (though I think the Sigs looked better) and a pleasure to own. They are not, however, practical when compared to other options

Wish I had said something like this to appear those accusing me of being entirely Dow. On the gun... oh wait
Old February 16, 2019, 10:24 PM   #32
HisSoldier

Quote:
I believe the new version has kept the beavertail.
I'm glad for that, my S&W tore my hand up the first few times I fired it, even though it has the extended beavertail. Since then I've learned to very deliberately hold lower, not much, just enough so I can't see a bulge of pink flesh sticking up.
Now I also have an Interarms and as far as fit/finish between the Ranger made gun the only plus I'd give it is that the small prts appear to be cast, instead of MIM. The ejector broke on the S&W, which is MIM, they sent another right away, but I'd rather have replaced it with a good cast part.

Quote:
These are, traditionally, a beautiful gun (though I think the Sigs looked better) and a pleasure to own. They are not, however, practical when compared to other options
That depends on what you want it for. They are a very fine weapon, historical, mechanically interesting, and since I only carry one gun, all the rest are simply for my enjoyment, not self defense. I suspect that a lot of people buy guns based on their carry value (Stopping power?) when they have no intention of carrying it.
For instance, If I knew I'd likely stumble into a gun fight I'd carry my DW 10MM in a holster with 2 mags and my FAL rifle and five magazines.

Some interesting handguns in my safe are quite a few .25 ACP pistols, which I've had a great deal of fun shooting and collecting. I also have many handguns that are not well known since they are from the dawn of automatic pistols. I can't imagine carrying them either nor would I want to lose them, their purpose is fulfilled without needing the deadly usage of them they were designed for.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old February 19, 2019, 07:59 AM   #33
Ibmikey

My PPK is in the caliber the pistol was designed for, 7.65 mm and is a first year of production pistol. It shoots like a dream and is very accurate with it’s fixed barrel and caliber allowing for quick follow up shots, which may be needed with a .32. I would carry this pistol however there are so many other better carry designs available today I choose to leave the PPK home and carry a Sig or Kimber or S&W or........
Old February 19, 2019, 11:02 AM   #34
BigMikey76

It definitely has some cool factor, but not enough to warrant the price tag. I'm happy with my Bersa Thunder CC. I took it to the range along side my buddy's PPK, and we both preferred the Bersa in just about every way. When compared side by side, they are all but identical in every dimension, but the Thunder CC weighs considerably less, and holds 2 more rounds. It also doesn't give me slide bite. I can't say that for the PPK - one mag in, and I was literally dripping blood. The only way I could get the PPK to stop biting me was to hold it so low on the grip that I was in serious danger of limpwristing. Of course, I have big meaty hands, so YMMV. Definitely not worth the price tag, IMHO.
Old February 19, 2019, 12:47 PM   #35
luger fan

My Rohrbaugh's are smaller, lighter, FAR more reliable AND in 9mm. Easy choice here.

Tags
ppk , walther