The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 11, 2019, 05:14 PM   #1
SmellyShooter

The Battle of the Takedowns

For those of you with experience, I know I want a 9mm takedown carbine that runs Glock magazines as a companion to my Glock 17. The battle in my mind is between the Ruger PCC and the Keltec Sub2000. What would y'all choose if you could just have one? Or is there another better choice? I know they both are generally at the same price point so it comes down to personal preference and function.

-me
Old February 11, 2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Kwik2010

I personally love my PC Carbine from Ruger. I had some issues in the very beginning due to my old 33rd glock magazine. It's been used and abused for quite some time and the carbine just doesn't like it. It works fantastically with about any standard glock magazine and it pairs even better, in my opinion, with the magpul 21rd magazines. I even purchased the take down bag for it and it rides in the pickup with me alot of the time. It's been used for everything from plinking tin cans to culling a prairie dog town. I have handled the Sub2000 but I have not fired it so I can't weigh in on that department. I personally prefer the stock on the Ruger. From what I've heard though, I'm sure you'd be happy with either one.
Old February 12, 2019, 12:08 AM   #3
JohnB1987

Take this with a grain of salt...

I've only shot the Keltec, that a buddy of mine owns. It's one of the least enjoyable firearms I've ever shot. To me it just feels super uncomfortable, likely due to the crappy stock, but again take this with a grain of salt because I haven't shot it in a while.

It also had numerous feeding issues, but again it wasn't my gun so it might have been due to ammo, magazines, or poor maintenance.

Depending on your purpose for the gun, however, the function of the folding stock may outweigh its lack of comfort.
Old February 12, 2019, 05:57 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

Just Right Carbine has a takedown version. I've had mine for a few years now, it's rugged, accurate, and very reliable. It's a modular platform that uses AR15 triggers and can be configured in many different ways and is available in a variety of calibers.
Old February 12, 2019, 08:08 PM   #5
weblance

I have a Sub2000, a CMMG 9mm AR(Colt Style) and a Just Right Carbine(Glock).

I like the JRC and CMMG better than the Sub2000. After easily replaced triggers, the CMMG and JRC are superb. The Sub2000 is a good little carbine, but its not a smooth shooting experience like the other two. Its light, effective, and quick into action, but it just doesn't have the quality feel, and smoothness the other two have. IF the takedown function is really important to you, then nothing beats the Sub2000.

I couldn't decide which was better, as they all have strong points, so that's why I have three different carbines.

I dont have any experience with the Ruger, but looking at its specs, its heavy, and that turns me off immediately