The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 4, 2012, 07:17 PM   #26
603Country

Like Scout's great uncle, my grandpa was a big fan of squirrel brains. When he got too old to hunt I was in my late teens and I'd go shoot a few squirrels for grandma to cook. The heads were the first thing that grandpa went for. He'd crack them, and I think he used a spoon to get the brains out. I loved him enough to get squirrels for him, but I was a picky teenager and eating brains was WAY out of my area of interest, and I don't think I ever watched him eat them. I'd look the other way while chewing on my squirrel leg. I'm glad someone brought this up, because it floods me with good memories.
Old February 4, 2012, 08:37 PM   #27
shortwave

Must have been a 'depression era' thing. Nothing going to waste.
As a kid I spent a lot of time with my great uncle also. He was an avid outdoorsman. I have an old pics of him with squirrels tied to a piece of twine. Squirrels are draped around his neck and reach from one foot to the other. He was 6' 7" tall. When my great aunt would fix squirrel for him it would be three whole squirrel on a platter. The squirrels would be skinned,gutted with feet and tails removed.

I used to watch him eat them, brains and all. Course the squirrels were watching too.

Although I never ate the squirrel brains, for Sunday morning breakfasts, he and I ate scrambled eggs and fried calf brains.
Old February 4, 2012, 09:19 PM   #28
sixgunluv

squirrels

My late Great Uncle used to boil then batter and fry the brains and serve with eggs and hash browns.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:33 AM   #29
Pahoo

Isn't it still, Protein ???

Quote:
Must have been a 'depression era' thing. Nothing going to waste.
I believe there is some truth in this as we use to hunt a farm that had a lot of coal. The Patriarch's name was Enslym Winfield. He and his family survived by mining and selling coal during these hard times.
They also shot and ate just about anything that walked on there property. ..

At the end of a day's hunt, on his property, he asked us what we did with the heads. We kids looked at each other, a bit perplexed. Anyway, he requested the heads and we were glad to oblige. On a following hunt, he invited us to have a bowl of squirrel head soup. We politely declined as we had just eaten and weren't hungry. .... Right !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old February 6, 2012, 05:40 PM   #30
langenc

Squirrel are tough. You will find out when you start to skin one. Meat wonderful-esp fox squirrel-dont let it dry out.

I have blacks/grays here. They are less than half a fox.