The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 12, 2006, 04:26 AM   #1
Glock 31

Redundancy

Has anyone ever thought about maybe making sections for senior members, mid-level members, and new members that are accessible by having a certain number of posts or something.

It's just that it seems every night I log-on, I see a bunch of new threads that are really just different versions of the same questions asked over and over again. It's becoming a rare occurance that someone makes a thread that deals with fresh new ideas or topics or problems not commonly covered. The only forum that routinely has new stuff is the Legal and Political forum, and that's only because there's always new stuff going on in government everyday. It's annoying when one night I see threads like, "What gun would you suggest" and then the next night, "Best gun for self defense" or "semi-auto or revolver". Any one of those three threads will more than likely have the same responses, usually by the same people. And I won't even start on caliber threads. Except for threads asking specific technical questions about a certain caliber, almost every caliber war has been exactly the same. Of course it's everyone's right to post stuff like this, that's what TFL is for. But wouldn't it be easier to maybe make a section with quotes from responses regarding FAQ on specific topics. Something like the FAQ link on the menu bar, just for specific issues like SKS Cleaning, or Gun Selection, etc. If segregating the experience of members is too radical, what about making a notice emphasizing the point of searching for similar topics before making a new thread? I searched this forum with key words such as, "repeated threads, same old threads, same threads" and didn't really find anything saying the same thing so either it's a new concept or something noone else really cares about. I also know some of it comes down to personal interest but I thought maybe the FAQ idea would be a good one.