The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2016, 10:56 PM   #26
Crankylove

I haven't bought a gun cause I happened to have the brass, but I have bought brass, bullets, and dies so that I HAD to buy the gun.

Got my .22 Hornet and .358 Winchester that way.

I knew I wanted the 77/22 Hornet, but didn't have the money for the rifle at the time. So, I started buying components and dies, a little each paycheck, so that I would have to buy the gun in order to not have wasted the money on components and dies. Didn't want to blow the gun money on something else, kinda kept myself motivated to save money for the rifle.

Did the same for my Ruger .358 Win.

I think the next brass to buy is going to be.38-55...................then I'll be forced to buy a Chiappa Little Sharps, or Browning 1885 Low Wall.
Old July 28, 2016, 12:10 AM   #27
Clark

The best excuse I have heard for buying a gun is, "But Honey, I don't have THAT serial number..... YET."
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 28, 2016, 07:47 AM   #28
Whisper 300

Yup,
First time was when I found 17 Mach2 on sale for around 6 cents/round--bought 3000 rounds then went out to find a cheap (Thank God it was cheap) bolt action --still have 2800 rounds left. Not my finest moment.

Then I had acquired a couple of hundred of once fired 300 WM --had one built and I love it.

No one ever said I was too bright

Gary
Old July 28, 2016, 08:25 AM   #29
rclark

Nope. Never. Always had to 'gear up' for the new (to me) cartridge.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 28, 2016, 10:42 AM   #30
Bucksnort1

Crankylove,

Too funny.
Old July 28, 2016, 10:15 PM   #31
Bayoubulldog

I'm looking at a magnum rifle because I have an extra 1000 mag primers. Lol... giggity (excuses excuses... always wanted a magnum)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old July 28, 2016, 10:40 PM   #32
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Bought a gun because you had brass and/or bullets for it?
Nope. "I guess I'm just one of those practical shooting sports enthusiast."
Old July 29, 2016, 09:46 AM   #33
Chainsaw.

Brass maybe not so much, but I did aquire about 4000 6mm bullets in varying weights, also a set of 6x45 dies (different lot) so now Im considering building a 6x45 upper for my ARs. The terminal ballistics sound intriguing. But man are the barrels expensive!

Also, aquired a remington 788 in 222 rem (not mag) with an after market trigger and a beautiful bore. No stock, no floor plate and no trigger guard, looking for parts to it now but not having much luck.
Old July 29, 2016, 08:07 PM   #34
RC20

I wanted to get into true target shooting, I went with 308 as it matched the bullets and primers I was using and some of the powders (30-06)

I then bought a project gun to get a 30-06 HB (Savage so I do the barrel work myself). the barrel is not in stock so its ordered.

In the meantime, to get to shoot the gun and work with the barrel change, I bought another 308 barrel and put it on the long action.

Ultimately I am going to get a 7.5 x 55 Swiss barrel to go on it as well (the 308 barrels will then swap around on the short action)

Not only a somewhat unusual cartridge, some powders cross, bullets do as do the primers.
Old July 30, 2016, 01:03 PM   #35
brasscollector

uh-oh.. just picked up some 50AE this morning.
Old July 31, 2016, 06:50 AM   #36
Mike / Tx

Had a couple of friends give me closeto 2K of loaded factory and Mil Surp 45 ACP in assorted bullet weights. They sat around for almost a year, and I couldn't stand it any longer, so I went out and got me a Colt 1991 A1. Then the daughter was having issues with folks snooping around her place so I gave it to her so she would have a little piece of mind.

Two years later, I realized I was right back in the same situation as I was before so I went and got me a SS Colt Govt 1911.

Of course this is usually how things go with me. Either that or I start piddling around with neck sizing brass to see just what something might look like and well next thing you know I'm hauling another one home in some different caliber.