The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
SgtMeatballs

Accidental Accuracy?

Good Afternoon, this is my first post on "The Firing Line" so forgive me if this (or something so similar it ----- somebody off) has been questioned prior to this post. Anyways, here's what happened.

I went to the range during chow today, I figured I should see what my benelli supernova (smooth bore, 28'' barrel) can do, besides skeet shooting. I am an avid rifle shooter, but a new firearm is needed every once in a while.

First off, why was everybody at the range confused of my slug grouping? I was using 2 3/4'' remington rifled slugs at 100 yds, and all 3 shots were toucing each other....is this not normal? I don't have any sights for my shotgun, besides the small bead in the back and the barrel rail, why was I told to get glow in the dark sights or a scope...how far does one expect to shoot a smoothbored weapon?

Anyways, after shooting some 3'' 00 buckshot, I was done with my shotgun for the day, I can't imagine shooting 3 1/2'' turkey loads.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old August 19, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Hog Hunter

WOW! with only a rear bead and rail. Im not really a shotgun hunter but do shoot alot of birds when there flying good.

Man, ive seen guys shooting rifled barrels with scopes and not shoot that good. If it were me I would shoot a few more 3 shot groops to see if it were just luck or damn good shootin.

From what ive heard and read 100 yards is bout max for a smooth bore. Dont hold me to that though. Good luck
Old August 19, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Mossy500

just sounds to me like you got a good gun and your a good shot, were you using a table or holding the gun?.. i dont have a ton of experience with slugs but it doesnt seem that your shots were too crazy.
Old August 19, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Do 2" groups out of both smoothbore and rifled barrel at 100 yards so no, not unusual, just depends on the shooter. all I ever use is 2 3/4" 20 gauge and its big enough to take down anything I want to shoot. Rifle sights on rifled barrel and scope on the smoothbore because one is my back up deer gun and the other is my turkey gun. Haven't yet found a need for a 3 or 3 1/2" round.

With my 12 gauge it is more like 4" but it has a 18 1/2" barrel so a little leeway is to be expected.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 19, 2009, 03:46 PM   #5
SgtMeatballs

I was sitting down, on a stool with a sandbag on the stool to raise me up. The shotgun was partially supported by a sandbag on the table, with my elbows fully supported by the table.

My target was a human silouette <sp>. My sight picture was the targets "neck" at 100 yds, I figured the large projectile would have a significant drop, and without having elevation knobs, I aimed at the neck with the intent of hitting center mass. An unforseen advantage with aiming at the neck, was that I could consistently acquire the sight picture each time at the same spot, rather than generally referencing my aim.

I will attempt this again, on friday, as I am pulling a 24 hour shift today/tomorrow and really don't want to shoot without sleep. I will try to post pictures. Although I am hopeful to do so, I also am quite certain I will not replicate these results.

Old August 19, 2009, 08:02 PM   #6
johnbt

"100 yds, and all 3 shots were toucing "

Fist sized is bragging territory. Touching? They saw it and didn't believe it.

John
Old August 20, 2009, 04:24 AM   #7
SgtMeatballs

I'm assuming I'll never be able to reproduce this event, I'll be the guy who was abducted, or the one who see's dead people.....At least I work with the witness's