The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Real Gun

Bullet flex

Yesterday I loaded some 327 Federal Magnum using Xtreme 100 gr LRNFP at .313. My max cartridge gauge is at spec of .312. I happened to catch that rounds would pass the gauge not long after loading but later would not pass, because the bullet was too big. They did fit in both guns either way, so the standard trick of using the gun cylinder for a no-go gauge is going to have to do. However, I am considering having my gauge reamed to .313 or .314, since 95% of my loading for 327 is with lead bullets really designed for 32-20. What I am trying to catch is any case bulge near the head or a bulge from a bullet seated off axis.
Old November 6, 2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Gary Wells

I probably would look for a shop/machinist/smith & have a new gage built. Also is the bullet to proper diameter spec? How's the wall thickness of the cases? Just my thoughts.
Old November 6, 2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The 327 Federal differs from the 32 S&W and 32 Long and 32 H&R Magnum in that the latter three have bullet tolerances of 0.310"-0.315", while the 327 Fed has a tighter 0.310"-0.313". The OD of the case over top of a maximum OD bullet is not to exceed 0.337". If you measure that you exceed that last number with your bullets seated, you do need a different gauge diameter.

I think the existing gauge could be honed out, but I would apply a micrometer to the brass over top of a seated bullet first. I am thinking you could have some extra thick brass. But if the case over the bullet does not exceed 0.337" and it gets stuck, then the gauge should go back to the maker for refinishing. If you know someone who owns a set of pin gauges you could check out the size for yourself.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 6, 2018, 10:40 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Just out of curiosity, isn't altering a gauge kind of defeating the purpose of using a gauge in the first place??

I can see having a gauge made to your specs for a specific purpose, but altering an existing gauge so your "out of spec" ammo fits it seems kind of foolish to me...

Am I missing something?
Old November 7, 2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Real Gun

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, isn't altering a gauge kind of defeating the purpose of using a gauge in the first place??

I can see having a gauge made to your specs for a specific purpose, but altering an existing gauge so your "out of spec" ammo fits it seems kind of foolish to me...

Am I missing something?
Maybe everything people do to make lead bullet sizes work is "foolish".
Old November 7, 2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

It's foolish if you are loading to the SAAMI standard. But if you are loading just to one specific gun, then it's a common practice. High Power shooters I know make a for-this-rifle-only-gauge using the same chamber reamer and some barrel blank scrap. You just want to be sure to mark the gauge with the gun's serial number.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 7, 2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Real Gun

No, I am loading to lead bullet diameters and using exactly the same reasoning as used to purchase my RCBS Cowboy dies,
Old November 8, 2018, 07:53 PM   #8
RC20

In 9mm, most of the mfg cases won't pass the gauge test, they do fit the chamber just fine.

One mfg did pass the gauge test.

I gave up and just used the barrel to check if I was not sure.

I also know how high the round can stick up in the gauge and pass in the gun.

It was one of those cases (pun intended) of doing a lot of work to try to figure out what was going on, or just accept it was ok and not waste time on something I might still not get an explanation any better than it is what it is.
Old November 8, 2018, 09:22 PM   #9
std7mag

Interesting info on the different bullet diameters, Unclenick.

I had heard that part of the appeal of the 327 Federal was that you could shoot those other cartridges you mentioned if you didn't want the full power loads. Ala 38 Special and 357 Mag.

Just asking.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...