The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 19, 2017, 08:39 PM   #26
Old Stony

That is a Duke's dog free trap. They are basically just a piece of pipe with a spring affair and a trigger. I use floating fish food, but fish flavored cat food works pretty good too. You just pour it about half full and they reach in to dig the food out and bingo, it grabs them around the leg. I occasionally catch a possum in one, but not often. I have found them to be the best way to catch coons and you don't have to deal with wire cages that catch skunks and all kinds of varmits on a regular basis. You can buy those traps on ebay and they aren't very expensive.
Old April 20, 2017, 09:11 AM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't have feral pigs this far North Old Stony so I don't really know how good they are to eat or whats considered appropriate you fellers do with em. It is pleasing to know some of the meat has not gone to waste.

Racoon hand hold works pretty well so I've been told. Haven't tried one yet. I'm still old school. Get by using a victor leg holds to catch em up this way when their bothersome.

BTW: If that were a muskrat caught in a hand hold? Undoubtedly the animal would chew its foot off to be free of the trap. Raccoons think to much about their caught situation and typically catch a 22 for doing so.