The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 15, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
isalamon

Browning BAR Safari Vs. Benelli R1

I am debating between the Browning BAR Safari Mark 2 and the Benelli R1, both in 30-06......maybe .308. Thoughts and/or experiences with wither would be appreciated
Old April 23, 2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Dirty_Harry

In all honesty, I don't know much about either, and in my opinion I would go for the less expense Remington 7400 (or 750 now). I twould cost you alot less and you do not have to worry about it getting wet or taking the polish off. You can pick up a less expensive remington for around $370.00 vs at the cheapest $500 for a used browning. Also the Benelli is a new product and personally I haven't heard enough good things about it to justify that pricetag. But the Browning and the Benelli both have magnum capabilities that the remington does not. But if I were picking between the two I would pick the browning, it has been around longer and is a proven design. My dad has a browning in .308 and it is a nice shooter, but the main thing is to go with what you like better. Do not compromise you will regret it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old April 24, 2006, 02:55 PM   #3
JD 500

Browning

From what I've heard.....
The accuracy from the Remington 7400 may not be what you're looking for.
I have no experience with the Benelli.
I do own a BAR lightweight stalker (Synthetic) in .300 win mag.
Just started working up some reloads for it.
Last week at the range I got two different 1/2" groups (3 round) @ 200 yds.
Old April 26, 2006, 08:02 PM   #4
superpelly

I have a BAR, Safari MKII 7mm BOSS. The accuraccy with this gun is super. The BOSS system lets you dial in the virbration of the barrel and when you dial in both (scope and barrel) you can shoot very tight groups. The only downside is the weight, heavy rifle!
Old April 26, 2006, 08:20 PM   #5
BIGR

I have owned a 7400 in 30.06 before and took several deer with it. I traded it with some boot for a Browning MK II in 30.06 and never once regretted it. The Browning cost more but it is much of a gun. Shoots accurate and just feels good when carried in the woods. Often wondered about the Benelli rifle, but never had any dealings with one.
Old April 26, 2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Fremmer

IIRC, the bolt can be removed from the Benelli, but not from the BAR. The ability to remove the bolt is a big plus for cleaning.

Then again, the BAR is so good looking, and the Benelli is so friggin' ugly.... Well, I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You probably can't go wrong either way.
Old April 26, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7
Eghad

I saw a couple of Browning Safari BARs in the gunshop a couple of weeks ago one had the BOSS system both were in very good shape and under the $500.00 price mark.

NRA Life Member
Old May 3, 2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Huntergirl

I owned both a Rem 7400 and a Browning BAR Safari. I couldn't get a decent group with the 7400 with any ammo. The BAR on the other hand was superb in accuracy and function, it loved the Federal Premiums and Winchester power points, though it was a tad on the heavy side. I regretted selling that one, but I was buying a house and needed the money. The Benelli sounds like a good one, especially if you can remove the bolt for cleaning easily.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:38 PM   #9
maximuss

if you are going for benell,you should get r1 comforttech with 300 WSM or greater caliber.
Old May 6, 2006, 09:47 AM   #10
robctwo

I bought the BAR Stalker in .308 without the BOSS. Very nice gun. Very accurate. Bought the 7400 synthetic in 30.06. Can't get it to group. Period. Bought the BAR Stalker in 300 WSM with BOSS. Tack driver. The Safari is pretty, but I don't want the added weight in the woods, hence the Stalker. I have no idea about the Benelli.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:42 AM   #11
Fat White Boy

I had a 7400 in .30-06. I couldn't get it to group with a scope. The iron sights worked fine but I couldn't get a decent group with a Leupold...My eyes are old and I need the glass. I sold it and bought a Remmie VLS in .308...It shoots clover leafs with the same Leupold scope.
Old June 9, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
OGHITMAN187

Browning all day

i have a browning bar safari with the b.o.s.s system and a leupold scope. I can personally tell you it's accuracy to the max. go with the browning you wont regret it, i haven't
Old June 9, 2009, 11:08 AM   #13
hardluk1

I know your wanting to know which semi-auto but don't pass on a browning lever action if you happen to find one. Darn good gun and can be just as fast to shoot. My semi choice would be the browning but used even well used they still shoot good.
Old June 9, 2009, 11:57 AM   #14
ZeroJunk

The BAR has a very good reputation for relibility and adequate accuracy as a hunting rifle. Benelli has a good reputation in general, but this rifle has not been used as a hunting rifle very long comparitively to establish a record. And it is ugly.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:24 PM   #15
publius

The rem. auto rifles (by any number designation) are hit and miss as far as reliability and accuracy and they must be meticulously maintained. The BAR is a proven, great design. The benelli is new but I would not hesitate to buy it if I could get over the looks.
Old June 9, 2009, 05:42 PM   #16
sc928porsche

Browning has been making high qulity rifles for many years. Their craftmanship is renouned. I have one in a 270 that I picked up a couple of years ago. It had been owned by a doctor that didnt hunt much and knew nothing about taking care of a firearm. It had been stored in the garage here in the south for a lot of years. A lot of rust and a lot of dust! After a complete teardown, thorough polishing and reblue(hot) and stock refinish, it is now presentable. It is suprisingly accurate although the bore is a bit pitted (it had never been cleaned). I am now thoroughly convinced through experience that browning makes a very fine product.
Old June 10, 2009, 09:50 AM   #17
pilothunter

I own two BARs that are right at 40yrs old. Both function fine and the workmanship, wood and engraving on the old GRIIs are definitely something special, IMO. I also own a newer BAR MKII in .270 that shoots great and still has the fine level of workmanship of the older ones.