The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2019, 06:09 AM   #26
OhioGuy

The XD-S is a heavy little sucker, but all XD models are very heavily built. I never liked the "all terrain tire" grip they used on the first generation, but that's easily enough fixed with Talon grips or something else. They handle and point pretty much like any other gun.

Anyways I wonder -- with the 43x/48 and potentially the 15 round magazines, and Sig supposedly releasing a 15 rounder for the P365 later this summer, are we getting into a new era in which any single stack holding less than 10 rounds will be passe and have to be sold for cut-rate prices?

Obviously capacity isn't everything but it sets an expectation. I can see the thinking shifting toward "Wait, you want me to pay $400 for this 7 round model, when $100 more will get me a Sig or Glock that holds twice the rounds?"
Old May 22, 2019, 06:35 AM   #27
TunnelRat

But these ones that hold 15 rds have grips that are longer. It's not exactly 1:1 size wise. The capacity question is one that has applied before and will after these exist. Width isn't the only dimension and people make choices based on their needs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 22, 2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:57 AM   #28
unclenunzie

I can just see the Glock people sitting in a room observing the competition (including their own lineup) and asking the same kinds of questions about their proposed new slimline models.

My XDs 3.3 is slightly heavier loaded 7+1 than my 48 with 10+1. A 4" model would have to be even heavier. The XDs is stone reliable, and I'd expect that from the 48 also.

But here's the trick - instead of asking what the G48 and 43x bring to the table - ask what do the current competitive products offer that is better? The only thing at the moment I can think of is the P365 with 10 rounds in a really small size. After that I'm just not sure. I mean I am very happy with my XDs 3.3, but I'm happier with the G48 for the reasons I have already posted and for reasons that others have posted too.
Old May 22, 2019, 03:46 PM   #29
223 shooter

I have a G48 on the way soon -I am contemplating shooting it at Camp Perry in July. Will need LOTS of practice!
Old May 22, 2019, 06:52 PM   #30
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 shooter View Post
I have a G48 on the way soon -I am contemplating shooting it at Camp Perry in July. Will need LOTS of practice!
I highly recommend getting the factory night sights. Even in bright light they are better IMHO than the plastic ones that come on it.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:08 PM   #31
kenny53

I read reviews like this and I wish I needed another 9mm. I have always liked Glocks, only have one and it's a G 19. Had for over 20 years and it has never failed me. Maybe if I sleep on it I can talk myself into a need of this one.
Old May 24, 2019, 09:50 AM   #32
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenunzie View Post
And I like the two-tone look
I like the contrast as well. Makes it a little interesting and special, as far as Glocks go. Not outrageous, but just a little different. In addition to the springs I ordered, I added a set of stainless steel pins, just to complete the look.
Of course, I'll really be looking for how well the finish holds up -- none of the "torture tests" posted online really test the durability of the finish.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:06 AM   #33
USNRet93

Flush fit 15 round magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG36aeTLvh4

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 24, 2019, 06:34 PM   #34
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Flush fit 15 round magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG36aeTLvh4
I suspect these will be vaporwear. They already sell a three round extension base plate for $34, https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-...zine-extension
Old May 24, 2019, 06:37 PM   #35
sarge912

Anyone else finding it difficult to keep the silver slide looking clean? The best I have found to clean and preserve it is coconut oil (for Frog lube if you want to pay 10 time more)
Old May 24, 2019, 06:53 PM   #36
greentick

Quote:
I suspect these will be vaporwear. They already sell a three round extension base plate for $34
They have 4rd extensions for $39

This thread is working on me....
Old May 25, 2019, 04:57 PM   #37
1911_Hardball

Sorry, but my mind just can't grasp a few fractions of an inch make all that much difference in concealability.
Grip length is a far bigger factor than width.
Old May 25, 2019, 06:25 PM   #38
Mackie244Bud

Why the 2 Tone?

Some 2 tones I like but for some reason I do not like a Silver Slide on a Black Grip 2 Tone.

I saw it at the Gun Show today and on a table full of Glocks it definitely sticks out.
if I wanted one I don't know if I could get past the 2 Tone!
Maybe Glock could come out with a G48X for all black.
They made the G45 supposedly for law enforcement that did not want the G19X FDE.
Glock should stick to their all black guns or FDE or something like that.
The 2 tone Silver Slide just looks bad or Cheap!
And for EDC don't you want stealth as you carry rather than silver.

In my opinion....

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; May 25, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 26, 2019, 07:14 AM   #39
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Hardball View Post
Sorry, but my mind just can't grasp a few fractions of an inch make all that much difference in concealability.
Agree, why I got a G43 instead of 43x..more versatile for me and different clothes..

Get some mag extensions and have 6/7/8/10 round mags.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 26, 2019, 08:57 AM   #40
223 shooter

Quote:
Maybe so but at least for me it makes a major difference in shootability. Always despised the feel of the BIG FAT Glock grip in any double stack model.

With the into of the G42, G43 and now G48 there are finally Glocks that fit my hand extremely well. Bought a used 42 last year and now have the 48 arriving Tuesday.
Old May 27, 2019, 08:07 PM   #41
eos

I have a 48, I also have a few 19s, a 26, and a 43. The 48 really is a great pistol, as much as I like my 26 and 43, I've never come around to the pinkyless concept. I can make it work, but I do prefer having a full grip. The 48 I've found doesn't conceal much better than my 19s, but it's party trick is how much easier it is for me to get a comfortable grip (the 1911 esque thinness really is a lot more ergonomic for me), I just feel more confident with it, plus its 5oz lighter than a 19 which is significant IMO. Personally, for EDC, anything with a double digit 9mm round count is enough for me, and with that being said I currently choose the 48 over all others.
Old May 28, 2019, 07:18 AM   #42
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Hardball View Post
I don't disagree, but if I were to be more specific, I would say that what my 48 conceals more comfortably than my 19. Not an enormous difference, but for all-day carry it does make the 48 more attractive.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 29, 2019, 08:00 AM   #43
USNRet93

For those who qualify..
https://www.gtdist.com/glock-48-black-fxd-5-5lb-le.html

Also a 43X in black.
For info

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 29, 2019, 09:19 AM   #44
greentick

Quote:
For those who qualify..
https://www.gtdist.com/glock-48-black-fxd-5-5lb-le.html

Also a 43X in black.
For info
Was just looking at that yesterday. I was wondering about the price diff with the silver slide. Cerakoted. I'd like to see glock put out a black slide 48.
Old May 29, 2019, 09:54 AM   #45
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentick View Post
Was just looking at that yesterday. I was wondering about the price diff with the silver slide. Cerakoted. I'd like to see glock put out a black slide 48.
They offered me that feature when I got mine but I would have had to wait a week to 10 days to get it done. They had other color options as well. I went with the sight upgrade instead. I paid $349 including tax with the LE discount.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:30 AM   #46
Leaf

Quote:
Depends on how you carry. When carrying IWB with grip forward at 4 or 5 o'clock, magazine length is of little consequence as it relates to concealment. The problems when carrying in this manner are barrel length and thickness and are related to comfort rather than concealment. Of course, that manner of carry isn't for everyone but it works for me.
Old May 29, 2019, 01:08 PM   #47
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Depends on how you carry. When carrying IWB with grip forward at 4 or 5 o'clock, magazine length is of little consequence as it relates to concealment. The problems when carrying in this manner are barrel length and thickness and are related to comfort rather than concealment. Of course, that manner of carry isn't for everyone but it works for me.
So if you were to draw, your hand would have to go between the grip and your body? Just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 29, 2019, 01:41 PM   #48
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Perhaps the "hole" mentioned is in the modern, striker-fired, composite gun market. While the single stack 9mms have definitely been around a long time, have they ever been as concise and concealable?
You mean like Shields, Walthers, Sigs, 9mm 1911s etc. etc.?

It looks like a Kahr, but a Kahr is thinner.

Last edited by zincwarrior; May 29, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 29, 2019, 09:06 PM   #49
Leaf

Quote:
So if you were to draw, your hand would have to go between the grip and your body? Just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.
Yes, unless you have some kind of special flippers on the ends of your arms.
Old May 30, 2019, 08:09 AM   #50
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Yes, unless you have some kind of special flippers on the ends of your arms.
My point being that carry configurations don't normally require the hand to go between the gun and the body to draw. But based on your description, that is what I envisioned.