The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

SAFETY NOTICE: All FNS Handguns

The Arizona DPS has released a safety bulletin explaining that the FNS series of handguns is capable of firing without a finger on the trigger.

If you pull the trigger on the FNS while the pistol is out of battery, the pistol can fire as soon as it goes into battery, even if you have released the trigger. If the trigger remains slightly depressed or does not reset, once the pistol goes back into battery the pistol may 1) fire or 2) be easily jarred so that the striker releases and the firing pin block is ineffective due to the trigger not resetting.

According to Arizona DPS, this affects the entire line of FNS series pistols in all calibers. FN acknowleges the issue but states it is only applicable to pistols manufactured before February 12, 2017.

Source: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ol-discharges/
Old May 7, 2019, 07:45 PM   #2
KenW.

I sent both my FNS’s in for the recall. Quick turnaround.
Old May 9, 2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

It's not ALL FNS handguns, but certain older FNS models within a specified serial number range. (A link to which serial# are affected can be found, below.)
It's NOT a safety recall, but it is a suggested upgrade. They say that the conditions that could cause the "accidental" discharge are quite rare, but they are quite willing to correct the problem with an upgrade at their expense. Knowing the problem exists, I think an owner would be silly NOT to get the upgrade!
There's a link below to the FN-America website with all of the critical information. If you have an FNS semi-auto you can check your serial number to see if an upgrade is appropriate. (Guns made after February 12, 2017 are not affected; the link will guide you to determine when yours was made.)

https://fnamerica.com/customer-suppo...vice-bulletin/

I have three FNS pistols (an FNS-40, an FNS-40L, and an FNS-9C), all were affected. All three were shipped - both ways - and repaired at FNS expense. Turnaround time for mine was a bit more than two weeks. After the upgrade -- described in the videos cited above and discussed in the FN-America notice -- the problem behavior no longer existed.

It is a little known fact that FN-America's warranty covers the gun, whether you're the original purchaser or the seventeenth. (Not many gun makers do that, any more.) All three of mine were obtained in trades. You DO need to register the guns on the FN-America site to start the upgrade process.

Because I am not the original owner, if I have another unrelated-to-the-upgrade problem with any of my FNS semi-autos, I would expect the FN warranty to cover the repair and shipping back to me, but I would expect to pay for shipping to get the gun to them. (That's still a better deal than I can find with almost any other gun gotten in trade or bought used.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 9, 2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: I'm not a good proof-reader...
Old May 9, 2019, 08:22 PM   #4
wild cat mccane

That's really cool of FN to take care of shipping for a product they made that could inadvertently kill someone who is using it completely appropriately.

Good points above.