The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2001, 01:57 PM   #1
Pendragon

No wonder it never shot right... (very loose slide)

My first gun was a Kareen MkII which is an Israeli BHP knockoff.

I really did not know much in 1994 when I bought it - they guy at the store kind of talked me down from a real BHP at the time (selling me on the beavertail grip, etc).

Anyway, The gun has some very serious slop in the slide to frame fitting. You can hold the frame and the front of the slide/barrel will move back and forth at least 1/4 inch - you can make it rattle by wiggling it

Anyway - The gun has some sentimental value, but it shoots like 20" groups at 15 yards (give or take).

Can this be corrected at a reasonable expense? I doubt I could do it, but if I take it to a competent smith, can he do it for under $100?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old November 9, 2001, 04:33 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

ADVICE

Keep it for its sentimental value, but expect to pay more than $100 to make it accurate.

Use one listed here: www.americanpistol.com
Old November 13, 2001, 02:29 AM   #3
dsk

I have a Colt Series 80 Government with a large amount of play in the slide. Like yours I can make it clank loudly by shaking it. Yet it shoots very good groups and has always been a very easy gun to hit with. The fact is that slide and frame fit has a very minor effect on accuracy. The quality of the barrel, and how well it locks up into the slide are much more important. If that gun were mine I'd look into a drop-in aftermarket barrel first.