The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2018, 06:08 AM   #1
LeadFoot45

NEW VAQUERO cylinder diameter? 357 vs 44

So im looking to buy a New Vaquero with birdshead and 3.75 in barrel for hunting backup and possibly even ccw but cant seem to find the cylinder diameter on both the 357 and 44. Are they cylinder diameters the same size just smaller bores for the 357 just like the barrel?? If so im gettin the 44 mag!! Anyone know the dimensions???
Old August 28, 2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Crunchy Frog

The current “New Vaquero” .44 Magnum actually has the larger cylinder of the “original” Vaquero.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:03 AM   #3
LeadFoot45

So the 357 will be significantly smaller?
Old August 28, 2018, 12:32 PM   #4
RJay

I would think that the best people to answer that question is the people who made the revolver. I do know that the 44 and the 45 cylinder use the same size cylinder and steel, only the size of the cylinder bores are different. I I would think the 357 cylinder would also be the same size e as it's big brothers.
Old August 28, 2018, 12:51 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Out of idle curiosity, why do you think you need a back up handgun for hunting when presumably you'd have a rifle? And why is the cylinder diameter important. Just curious.
I'd worry more about the velocity loss with the wee barrel. You can compare actual tests of both cartridges here. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
Old August 28, 2018, 01:01 PM   #6
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot45 View Post
So im looking to buy a New Vaquero with birdshead and 3.75 in barrel for hunting backup and possibly even ccw but cant seem to find the cylinder diameter on both the 357 and 44. Are they cylinder diameters the same size just smaller bores for the 357 just like the barrel?? If so im gettin the 44 mag!! Anyone know the dimensions???
You might want to revisit the Ruger website. The 3.75 barrel is only available on the Vaquero Talo's and they're both 45's. If you're going to CCW this gun, you should really think it over. A double action would be much better.
Old August 28, 2018, 02:55 PM   #7
LeadFoot45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
You might want to revisit the Ruger website. The 3.75 barrel is only available on the Vaquero Talo's and they're both 45's. If you're going to CCW this gun, you should really think it over. A double action would be much better.
I have many double actions to carry as-well, i will always have my 642 on my ankle or in my pocket! I just like SA’s as well and i like these ones. But they do also make the 3.75 in a 44 and 357 but you can only get them in stainless
Old August 28, 2018, 03:12 PM   #8
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot45 View Post
I have many double actions to carry as-well, i will always have my 642 on my ankle or in my pocket! I just like SA’s as well and i like these ones. But they do also make the 3.75 in a 44 and 357 but you can only get them in stainless
Didnt see those on their website maybe I missed them.
Old August 28, 2018, 04:49 PM   #9
reddog81

According to Ruger's website the .357 model weighs 37 ounces and the 44 Mag. model weighs 39 ounces. Assuming everything else was identical other than the charge holes and bore diameter the .357 should weigh more. Of course that also assumes the Ruger website has the corrects weights listed for every iteration of each model.

Honestly if it's that important I want to verify the dimensions myself.
Old August 28, 2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Crunchy Frog

If you were comparing New Vaqueros in .357 and .45 Colt, the cylinders are the same size as are the frames and the outside dimension of the barrels. The smaller bore/chambers of the .357 would make that revolver heavier.

The New Vaquero with the medium frame (three digit prefix) won’t handle .44 Magnum pressures. The birdshead .44 Magnum is therefore built on the larger cylinder frame. I think Ruger caused a bunch of confusion by putting a New Vaquero rollmarked on it.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:19 PM   #11
rclark

In the following URL article you'll find the cylinder dimensions. The .44 Mag will be the 'Old Vaquero' which is same as the New Model SBH/BH .

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 31, 2018, 03:36 PM   #12
westernrover

You didn't specify whether you're asking about the .44 Magnum or the .44 Special.

The New Vaquero in .357 Magnum, .44 Special, and .45 Colt are built on the medium-sized frame and have the small steel grip frame. The .357 will weigh more because less metal has been removed from the cylinder and barrel for the smaller bore. It will also handle higher pressures and be capable of delivering more energy than .44 Special or .45 Colt in a New Vaquero.

I don't know if .44 Special New Vaqueros and medium-framed Blackhawks are or were factory-offered, but they are popular whether they're factory or aftermarket conversions. There are also .44-40's.

The .44 Magnum Vaquero is built on the large-sized frame (same frame as most post-'72/73 Blackhawks, and all Super Blackhawks). It also has the larger grip-frame, but that is aluminum and not steel like New Vaqueros. The .44 Magnum Vaquero, and all early Vaqueros should be capable of handling high pressures and "Ruger-only" handloads that can deliver far more energy than SAAMI-spec .44 magnum and .45 Colt. While the .357's are also very strong, most people see it as excess because the .357 case simply doesn't hold enough of the slow burning powders to get a lot more out of it. The medium-frame Blackhawks and Vaqueros have sufficient strength for hot .357's. The .44 and .45 are well-served by the extra strength of the larger frame if they will be shot with super hot magnum loads. On the other hand, if only low-pressure cowboy or black-powder loads are to be shot, then the medium frame guns are lighter and handier for the job.

The steel grip frames on the New Vaqueros do add substantial weight compared to the aluminum grip frames on the Blackhawks and old Vaqueros. On the other hand, aluminum is kind of a Buck-Rogers, Space-Age metal that doesn't seem appropriate for what are essentially 1873 resto-mods. While the .357 might also seem very 20th century, it does have roots that go back to the 38's and the 1851 Navy that made the .36 caliber so popular. As it turns out, the New Vaqueros end up quite a bit heavier than Colts and closer Colt replicas, but they would seem to be more durable too.
Old September 1, 2018, 02:17 PM   #13
disseminator

Quote:
The steel grip frames on the New Vaqueros do add substantial weight compared to the aluminum grip frames on the Blackhawks and old Vaqueros.
I can't speak for all, but my "old" Vaquero 45 has a steel grip frame not aluminum.
Old September 5, 2018, 02:26 PM   #14
BBarn

Cylinder diameters on the New Vaqueros will run about 1.73" on the 44 mag., and about 1.67" on the 357 mag. The 44 mag. frame is slightly larger as well.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:41 AM   #15
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I can't speak for all, but my "old" Vaquero 45 has a steel grip frame not aluminum.
Howdy

Yes, the 'original model' Vaqueros had a steel grip frame. When I bought my first 'original model' Vaquero back around 2000, as soon as I picked it up I realized it was heavier than my old Blackhawk. Both guns had 7 1/2" barrels, both were chambered for 45 Colt. But I could tell by feel that the Vaquero was a few ounces heavier than the Blackhawk. A magnet soon verified the grip frame was steel. Interestingly enough, it came with an aluminum extractor housing. I put a steel extractor housing on it shortly thereafter.
Old September 9, 2018, 11:17 PM   #16
jstert

be sure to try the birdshead grip first. i love ruger single action revolvers but had to sell a new vaquero 45acp at a loss (my “one out, only then one in” rule) because of its awful (to me) birdshead grip. i found no remedies for it, even after calls to ruger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
357 magnum , 44 magnum , new vaquero , vaquero