The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
savagelover

still looking for a fairly decent spot scope

Not having much to spend on a spotting scope,I am looking for suggestions on what might be a fairly good one to look into buying...I just want something I might be able to hits with my 45-70 at least 250 yards on red and white targets..A straight thru model,,no angle type.I have tripods as well...Thanks for helping out an old bastard...John
Old March 3, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
saands

I have a Konus and love it ... but mine is an angled model. Don't know if they make a straight through model.

There is NO substitute for large objectives, though ... this I can tell you with complete certainty. My Konus with an 80mm objective is so much brighter than any 60mm spotting scope I have ever used. It also makes it a lot more useful in low light situations. You probably don't need any more than 25x in terms of magnification, but it seems that most are 20-60x or some kind of range like that.

Saands
Old March 4, 2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Mike40-11

2nd on the Konus. You can't beat them for the money, IMO. I have a 20-60x with an 80mm objective. I can see .22 cal holes in the black st 200 yards. You should be able to find one for less than $200.