The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
CajunPowder

! ! ! Cabela's sale alert ! ! !

Looks like a bunch of the BP pistols are on sale at Cabela's.

$189.00 for the basic blue Remmie: 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver

$199 for the 1858 New Army 5-1/2" Barrel .44 Caliber Blued Steel Revolver

$279.00 for the 1858 New Army Stainless Steel Revolver with 5-1/2" Barrel

The BUFFALO in stainless for $399.00 !

$129.00 will get you started with a 1851 Navy Round Barrel .44-Caliber Sheriff Pistol

That's CHEEP! (brass)

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 13, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Hardcase

Sheesh, like I need more tempting!
Old April 13, 2010, 10:41 PM   #3
SainthoodDenied

Wow, a sale price on all models. Been looking at the engraved 36 navy with the white grips awhile, might have to go for it now but I been checking out a Great Western II 45 with white grips at my local gun shop. Decisions all the time, wonder how long the sale is gonna last.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:12 AM   #4
zippy13

Thanks for the heads-up, CajunPowder. My neighbor has been anxiously awaiting his opportunity to join the BP community.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:48 PM   #5
azsixgun

I called Cabelas and asked when the sale ends and was told the internet sales do not have an indicated end date. I called the local Cabelas and was told they are not on sale at the store.

If you want one, now's the time to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the heads up CajunPowder! Now for the question; having had a Pietta from Cabelas, would you do it again?
Old April 14, 2010, 02:15 PM   #6
CajunPowder

My Pleasure

Oneth by day and twoeth by night and another at Christmas and one for my birthday ... the addiction CONTINUES!

azsixgun:

I'm sticking with Dixie and hoping for the best in my exchange. I'm going all the way with Uberti for a while so that any additional pieces I get will have more or less interchangeable parts, cylinders, etc... And so I can limit all the variables as I begin to learn to smith a bit on these pieces so I can maintain my own stocks if needed.

I am SORELY tempted to get the basic blue Remmie at only $189 but the rationalization that I have to pay Louisiana tax and shipping puts it near $215.00 stays my hand. The little blue Remmie ... only $199 ...

I'm really beginning to think it's all about each piece. Lemons apparently come from either Pietta or Uberti and it's a poker game when playing the returns game.

I'm thinking this sale is to clear 2009 inventory out completely so they can take in an order of 2010 stocks, spring cleaning. So be ready to exchange if you order.

Cabela's has a HUGE amount of stock compared to the others and I've heard that one can make an initial exchange with absolutely no questions asked at Cabela's PLUS complain to the degree that no additional shipping will be charged in either direction and I've heard a SECOND exchange is possible.

Cabela's sends a return shipping sticker in the box with the revolver and then they deduct $7.00 from your refund if you use that. I complained and they said they would not deduct that from my refund. But they did anyway, and they deducted $7.50 ! So I sent them an email back and told them to get their books straight and refer to my incident number where the associate handling the return had said I would NOT have to pay the return shipping. If exchanging I'm guessing it would have been a non-issue as they would cover the shipping on the exchange piece if I would have decided to go that route.

I wish they carried Uberti. But then again, I don't pay tax at Dixie.

My very first experience was with Cabela's and I just chose to move on to the next vendor and "return for refund" when I made that first purchase of the stainless non-target at $299.00, (on sale).

I just want to see this through with Uberti, I may get a Pietta one day and again, I really think it is a per-piece basis.

One could order 10 at time and 1 or a few might be lemons, a few might be 2 or 3 stars and 1 or 2 of those 10 might be really nice straight out of the box.

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 14, 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I is imperfect.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:52 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

Oh, the Pedersoli Howdah pistol is on sale too, finally something to put those 500 S&W guys in their place.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:45 PM   #8
azsixgun

Thank you for your comments, CajunPowder. I'm not sure of your proximity to the Cabelas store in LA, but they do offer free shipping to their stores. If you're nearby, you could at least save the shipping fee. Cabelas relatively recently started offering free shipping to their stores. I was a bit miffed when they opened their Arizona store as I used to shop at the Nebraska store, while driving through the area. When they opened the AZ store, special order items required tax & shipping.

At that price, it's tempting to order one and see what shows up!
Old April 14, 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
CRUE CAB

Do black powder guns need to be shipped to a FFL?
Old April 14, 2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Delmar

Quote:
Do black powder guns need to be shipped to a FFL?
Nope, Cabela's will send it right to your door!
Old April 14, 2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Delmar

I'm really impressed how many different pistols they have for sale right now!
Old April 14, 2010, 09:12 PM   #12
arcticap

Pietta's replacement C&B cylinders are also much more affordable when compared to Uberti's. Although the stainless steel Pietta Remington cylinders are a bit more expensive, they still cost less than even a blue Uberti cylinder.
Pietta may not be known for their Colts, but their Remingtons are not only very popular, but by and large most folks really do seem to love them.
Their level of customer satisfaction is very high and their overall percentage of the Remington market is a testament to that.

Last edited by arcticap; April 15, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:53 PM   #13
ClemBert

That SS Pietta keeps calling out to me....ClemBeeeeeert, ClemBeeeeert....

Maybe if I hold on long enough the sale will go away and solve that problem.

Old April 14, 2010, 10:44 PM   #14
CajunPowder

Unbelievable

CLEMBERT !

I can barely see it ... but I think that on the side of the barrel it's stamped ...

CleeeeemBeeeeeeeeeert !

PERHAPS this Cabela's Sale precipitates the sales that other vendors will have to run in order to dump their stocks and restock.

Keep your eyes open everybody for BP on sale.
Old April 15, 2010, 01:42 AM   #15
ebr-lvr

see ya while ago

Cajun Powder, I thank you for the sale info. I'd bet this sale won't last very long. I've got a '51 steel navy .36 and a '60 steel on the way. I had to pay sales tax this time, Cabelas didn't used to add sales tax on internet orders. Oh well I saved 110.00 between the two guns so what's 15.00, right? I think I might really pixx my wife off and order the '61 navy .36 and '58 remmy .36 too. What are credit cards for....anyway.....

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"
Old April 15, 2010, 11:08 AM   #16
olyinaz

WOW!

Ouch!! Grrrrrrr, the temptation, OH the temptation!!

A steel 1860 for $189? Insane! An 1858 steel target model (outstanding for conversion) for $219? Nuts!

But NO JOY on the Walkers!!

I'll be in the dog house for sure if I weaken and break but man oh man, what a sale. If only we had some free shipping to go with it.

Cheers,
Oly
Old April 15, 2010, 04:08 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

Why is it that BP revolvers are like those potato chips they advertise . . . you just can't stop at one?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 15, 2010, 04:13 PM   #18
CajunPowder

Quality ? - Quality ? - Quality ?

ebr-lvr:

Please post a follow up on what kind of quality you get in these purchase, I was hoping somebody would just jump on it and I'm really interested to know what type of quality is received, especially the '58.

Oly:

Yeah, but just think about how much quiet time you'd have with your new toys ... NOT!

bedbugbilly:

If you use the right substitue they are much lower in SALT!
Old April 15, 2010, 07:37 PM   #19
andrewstorm

wow

cheap ,easy,fast ,n furious,let the blasting begin, the pistols are a 100 dollars cheaper than uberti,hope they hold up as well,happy trails
Old April 15, 2010, 08:29 PM   #20
Delmar

Quote:
I'm really interested to know what type of quality is received, especially the '58.
My pietta 1858 came from Cabella's and I love it! I bought it slightly used though so I'm not certain the guy who had it before me didn't do any fine tuning, but he didn't mention it if he did.
Old April 15, 2010, 11:12 PM   #21
DustyBottoms

Curse my modest budget!

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ducts_id=14485

(edit: Take a gander at their "New Products" pages. More CAS conversions than you can shake a cat at!)(not that I'd ever shake a cat - I love cats)

Last edited by DustyBottoms; April 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:34 AM   #22
madcratebuilder

OH MAN!!!!!

I want one of those! $435 is a good price.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:49 AM   #23
olyinaz

Gaaaahhh! I've wanted an open top for some time now! This is killing me...

Oly
Old April 16, 2010, 10:00 PM   #24
bedbugbilly

Some things are confusing I guess . . . . you say that the sale prices are not good at the store . . . yet . . . they will ship it to the store free at the sale price???? Go figure. I'm not bad mouthing Cabelas . . . I've purchased several BP revolvers from them but much prefer to do it at the store so I can actually see and handle what I'm getting instead of taking a crap shoot on what comes in the mail. So far, I've been lucky as the pistols have been top notch. I went to the store to purchas a '49 Baby Dragoon once - it was an Uberti and about $300.00 at the time. When I looked at it, handled it tried the loading lever, timing, etc. - I handed it right back. I'm not bad mouthing Uberti either - it just happened to be one of those lemons that comes along every once in a while. I walked out with a Pietta '58 Remmie Navy that was top notch. Had I ordered the Baby Dragoon by mail and received the one that I looked at, it would have gone back immediately. I'm sure that Cabelas would have stood behind it as they are good about that. Now I see, that they don't show the Baby Dragoon on their webpage and it was there before the sale started. Perhaps it got "bumped" due to the sale? At any rate, their sale prices are good prices and I'm looking at ordering another '51 Navy - if the quality of that is as good as the Pietta "58 Navy I got from them, I'd be tickled to death. The price is good for sure. I just can't get past that the stores are not honoring the sale price on their webpage if that is true as the one gentleman stated. In these times, a sale is a sale. If they can offer 'em at that price on the internet, they ought to be able to do it in the store as well. Lord knows, they give enough away if you've ever taken a look at their "bargain rooms" and seen the boots, etc. that have been worn and then returned. Just my 2 cents which aint' worth much. At any rate, dive in gentlemen while the prices are down 'cause who knows when it will end?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 16, 2010, 10:11 PM   #25
Hardcase

My Cabela's (Boise, Idaho) honors the sale prices. When I pointed out to the cashiers that there was a lower price on the web, they just looked it up really quick and applied the price.

Maybe it's just my store, but I bought an 1858 in December and an 1860 in January and they adjusted the price each time.