The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 20, 2018, 12:08 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Rimfire SAA question

Does anyone have a 6-shot (not the 12-shot) Uberti Cattleman in .22LR (or .22LR/.22WMR convertible)? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post photos of both ends of the cylinder, out of the gun. There's a screwball idea bouncing around in that big empty space between my ears ...
Old August 20, 2018, 05:49 AM   #2
Oldman11

.????
Old August 20, 2018, 08:52 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman11
.????
I didn't think it was a difficult request. I would like to see a photo of each end of the cylinder of an EAA Bounty Hunter .22 SAA.

If anyone has the Uberti rimfire SAA, I'd like to see that cylinder, also.
Old August 21, 2018, 08:02 PM   #4
gr8guns

I have a Uberti Cattleman six shot.

I have the Uberti Cattleman 7.5 in .22 LR. I don't know how to post pictures here.........It is the Cattleman full size Colt replica, not the stallion model. Somebody help here? I have been registered here for a while, but i think this is my first post.
Old August 21, 2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Perfect, the one I'm interested in is the full-size Uberti Cattleman, not the scaled-down Stallion.

I wish I could talk you through posting photos, but I have to look it up every time I do it. If you have an account on a photo hosting site such as Imgur or Tinypics, you just post the link in your message.
Old August 31, 2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm bringing this one back in the hope that gr8guns has figured out how to post photos. I would really like to see pics of the Cattleman .22 cylinder.
Old September 1, 2018, 06:10 AM   #7
rep1954

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman11
.????
I didn't think it was a difficult request. I would like to see a photo of each end of the cylinder of an EAA Bounty Hunter .22 SAA.
Quote:
There's a screwball idea bouncing around in that big empty space between my ears ...
I think Oldman11 was asking about your bouncing idea as I am also, unless of course it is top secret and will endanger my life.

Last edited by rep1954; September 1, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old September 1, 2018, 06:58 AM   #8
smee78

Just ask gr8guns to email them to you in a PM or text them to you?

As for the original question, sorry I only have a Ruger Single Six and a Colt Frontier Scout so cant help ya there. Good luck with your idea what ever it may be?
Old September 1, 2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I think Oldman11 was asking about your bouncing idea as I am also, unless of course it is top secret and will endanger my life.
The idea is to see if there's enough material in the cylinder to allow rechambering it for .22 TCM. Probably won't endanger your life, the issue is determining whether or not it might endanger mine.
Old September 3, 2018, 04:41 PM   #10
10-96

Aguila,
Now that is an intriguing idea! My only two curiosities are- How difficult would it be to get the RF firing pin to contact the CF primer? And, I had a .38-44 Bain & Davis with quite a serious bottleneck compared to the .38-40 and .44-40. I remember gunsmith Frank Shipley telling me that revolvers just aren't good matches for bottlenecked cases. The bottleneck cases would get seriously stuck in the holes pretty quick. Mine would stick after the 3rd reload and extraction dang near impossible after the 5th or 6th reloads. It would be interesting to see the results of a TCM revolver, and I think it would be a great plinker if sticking doesn't become a problem.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:41 PM   #11
rep1954

Ruger is still making a 32HR in the Single Six which has a centerfire system already. There are gunsmiths that do 5 shot.41 spl. guns on the Old Model single sixes. With a 5 shot it moves the chamber away from the thinness of the bolt notches. They have to convert them over to centerfire.

Last edited by rep1954; September 3, 2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old September 3, 2018, 07:32 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96
Now that is an intriguing idea! My only two curiosities are- How difficult would it be to get the RF firing pin to contact the CF primer?
That issue had occurred to be. It might require buying a centerfire hammer.

I know the .22 TCM is a rather high-pressure round, but the cartridge was derived from cut-down .223 cases, so it's the same (case) diameter as a 9mm. That should leave enough material surrounding the cartridge to be safe, even in a 6-shooter. (I wouldn't even consider it in a 9- or 10-shooter rimfire). And brass and dies are available, so it wouldn't be a big deal to load custom ammo that keeps the velocity and pressure down a bit, but still quite a bit faster than .22 WMR. And, being centerfire, it's reloadable, so once you have the brass and dies, ammo from then on would be less expensive than .22 WMR.

I guess I should ask for a photo of the hammer, cocked, as well -- to see what the firing pin looks like.

As to extraction -- it extracts from a 1911 semi-auto, so sticking can't be all that much of an issue. The case tapers from .372" to .362", so I don't expect any problems there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TC...:22tcm_prm.jpg
Old September 11, 2018, 02:51 PM   #13
John D

Taurus made the Raging Hornet revolver....don't remember hearing any complaints about hard extraction. I have a couple of Blackhawks in .38-40/10mm and have more problems with the 10mm cylinder than the .38-40 (in fact, I've never had a problem with that cartridge)
Old September 11, 2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96
How difficult would it be to get the RF firing pin to contact the CF primer?
A reader was kind enough to send me photos of the Uberti Cattleman .22 LR cylinder. It appears, and he confirmed, that the chambers are bored on an angle. My guess is that the gun uses a standard, centerfire firing pin and they canted the chambers to align the case rims with the firing pin.

I'm awaiting some measurements, but it appears that the amount of tilt or cant to the chambers puts the chamber mouths outside what would be the bore for a .22 TCM cartridge. Which means my bright idea wouldn't work.
Old September 12, 2018, 07:31 PM   #15
10-96

Well that's a bummer. I hate to see something like that set you back. Hopefully somebody will come along who's heard of a parts interchange or some other fix. That really did sound like a great idea.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:30 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Oh, I already thought of a work around: buy the .22 Cattleman, then buy a spare Cattleman cylinder in .45 Colt, and machine up six chamber inserts to adapt it from .45 Colt to .22 TCM. In reality, it's probably easier than boring out and rechambering the .22 cylinder -- and you'll still have the .22 LR cylinder for plinking.

If only I had a machine shop ...