The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2006, 02:32 AM   #1
tlon7

Looking for pump shotgun without strong recoil

A few years ago I went skeet shooting, and ended up with a black and blue upper arm pit area. This is my inquiry. I am looking for a shotgun for home protection and occasional range shooting, but I recently had a diagnosis of disk degeneration in my spine. The doc said to avoid trauma to my back. Given this situation (I'm not disabled, just have to be careful), can anyone recommend a pump action shotgun that does not have a powerful kick so I can spend an hour or two on the range without unnecessary stress on my spine.

Thanks,

Al
Old August 20, 2006, 03:15 AM   #2
DWARREN123

Start with a 20 or 28 gauge then add a recoil pad. A gas operated gun is generally more recoil friendly.
Old August 20, 2006, 07:20 AM   #3
webbee

Another option is to put a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on a 12ga 870. I like the COPstock for it's folding abilities, or the SpecOps which softens recoil to a push. Police trade-ins are plentiful, costing from $150-200 and the SpecOps is about $125. You are into a great home defence weapon for about the price of a new 870.
12ga ammo is cheapest because it is the most used. That makes practice more affordable. Since practice is the most important element, you need to put your money there.
To quote an Internet sage, "Shooting things is fun!"
Old August 20, 2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Ricebrnr

All things being equal, I thought recoil in a pump shotgun was more about load selection vs brand model selection?

That said I understand the new Benelli's with the recoil absorbing inserts built into the stock do feel lighter. Also some pumps can have a recoil reducer added to the butt stock (essentially a shock absorbing sytem).

HTH
Old August 20, 2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any shotgun larger than a 28 gauge will knock the bejeebers out of someone if bad form and fit are there and compounded with heavy loads.

Learn good form, get your shotgun fitting and use lighter loads.

After a few decades of teaching folks to shoot shotguns, I have to say that few folks are incapable of shooting shotguns effectively. Mindset, form, training and commitment are the keys. Good fit and sane loads help.

FYI, I've two herniated discs,some pinched nerves and ripped back muscles. I can shoot my 870s for hours.

HTH....
Old August 21, 2006, 05:18 PM   #6
pwelsh4hd

Try Remington "reduced recoil" loads. Though they sometimes don't want to cycle a tight auto, they shoot really nice from a pump. They make it in a 00buck, which makes it pretty tame for defense.
Old August 22, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7
radshop

Based on your post, I'm inferring that you only went skeet shooting once and therefore have probably tried only 1 shotgun. In that case, the black and blue might have been as much to do with (1) poor fit of the gun and (2) improper technique. So in addition to the other suggestions, get some expert advice on fit (search the internet for starters) and technique.
Old August 26, 2006, 01:41 AM   #8
dad23honu

Knoxx Stocks is the way to go

I'd definitely go with a Knoxx stock. I put one on my Mossy 500 and love it. I also have the detachable 6 round box mag conversion. Love that too. Check out www.knoxx.com.

You won't be sorry.
I'm the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker that ever plucked a mother pheasant.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Frenchwrench

This last week my daughter and wife both shot 12 gauge 00 buck and slugs.The Limbsaver pad I installed made the difference for both of them.My daughter went through a 20 full power rounds.Couldn't get enough.Try Limbsaver or any other quality recoil reducer. I've had 2 back surgeries and shoot 12 gauge for hours.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:24 AM   #10
rick_reno

Benelli make a mercury recoil reduction tube that I know goes in their Nova's. I had one in mine.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:40 AM   #11
ammo.crafter

light recoil pump

It's not the style of shotgun, but the loads fired. Recoil from a 12 and a 20 can be misleading. Remington 1100 is designed to cycle consistantly with light target loads. Lots of 'em on the used market, too, if $$$ is a consideration.

FYI>Pumps "kick" just as hard as O/U and SxS do.

If you would consider reloading, the possibilities are infinite!
Old August 26, 2006, 09:30 PM   #12
john1911

Another Knoxx fan here. I shot my 20 ga slug gun today, followed by my 12 w/ the Knoxx Specop stock. 12 had a lot less felt recoil. I was shooting 2 3/4" Rem Buckhammers in the 20 and 2 3/4" Brennecke slugs and Fed. 00 buck in the 12. Knoxx is the way to go.
John
Old August 27, 2006, 12:38 AM   #13
scotts_4x

all else being equal (weight, fit, etc.) you are not going to find one pump gun that recoils more than the other, as they are both solid breech weapons. what IS goin gto make a difference from brand to brand is how well each gun happens to fit you and how much they weigh. both of these are huge factors in fighting off recoil, so get a gun that fits you. also, if it's just for shooting clay, get the heaviest gun you are comfortable with. the more a guy weighs the less it will kick.

-Scott
Old August 27, 2006, 04:45 PM   #14
wacki

Holy crap dude. Just put one of these on an 870.

http://www.graco-corp.com/gracoil.htm
or
http://www.danuser.com/products/coil/counter_coil.htm

Don't be cheap and mess with your spine. It's not worth the risk.
Old August 27, 2006, 06:08 PM   #15
kozak6

Are you sure it has to be a pump shotgun?

The semiauto's really do tend to kick a lot less.
Old August 28, 2006, 09:00 AM   #16
Jeepmark2005

Knoxx stock

I hate the recoil of a 12ga. I installed the specops stock on my Mossberg 590 and recoil in now just a push with full power slugs or 00 buck.

Tired of recoil? Get the Knoxx stock.
Old August 28, 2006, 09:56 AM   #17
dad23honu

Yup. You'll find Knoxx praises all over.

Jeepmark has it right. It feels like a push, rather than a punch.
I'm the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker that ever plucked a mother pheasant.