The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 1, 2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Question to LEOs about Holsters

Why did Police change from the old holsters that would hang from the belt down the leg to holsters level with the belt? It makes it a lot harder to clear the holster with the belt level holsters.
Old June 2, 2005, 12:45 AM   #2
CajunBass

Holsters

I'm not a LEO, but I would imagine it has a lot to do with riding in patrol cars.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 2, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3
boston strangler

That is part of it. A low ride holster will just pummel your kidney. Some idiot at Ford made it even worse when they redesigned the way the seatbelt is positioned in relation to the seat, that gets in the way of some mid-ride styles.

The other reason is that low ride designs just aren't available like they used to be. We can't buy a holster that isn't made.
Old June 2, 2005, 04:31 AM   #4
STEVE M

It is also much easier to hold onto when someone is trying to grab it out of

the holster. I think it would be more comfortable since it's not flopping

around (don't know for sure, never worn a lower holster.). I think the others

nailed the main reason, riding in cars.
Old June 2, 2005, 04:33 AM   #5
FrankDrebin

There's no more height requirement to get on most police departments, and they needed a universal holster that wouldn't drag on the ground and wear out.
Old June 2, 2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Riding in cars and weapon retention design. But I agree that they're a pain in the #@%*. I'm long and lanky and feel like I'm reaching into my armpit to get that weapon out They're especially a pain in the Winter, when if you want to get to your weapon, you either have to wear a short Tuffy jacket and freeze to death, or wear a coat with a zippered weapon slot and freeze to death, or leave the jacket open and still freeze to death.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 6, 2005, 05:21 PM   #7
MrBill

Don't know the true reason why. All the agencies i've worked for used the belt level holsters. Never had a problem with them. Even my SA shooting rig "john wayne" style stays pretty much level with my waist. I've only seen them used by mexican police dept.'s. I think it's probably just another public image thing..staying away from the "gunfighter" image. don't know.