The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Magnum Mike

New Rifle Brass?

Just wondering if I bought new unprimed Remington rifle brass. Can I get by with only neck sizing or do I have to full length size? Just wondering because I'll just by the neck dies. This will be shot out of only 1 rifle. Thanks.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:00 PM   #2
sourdough44

That's what I do with new brass. If you look you should have some with the mouths out of round. I notice the high $ Nosler brass in the box is pretty good but I still do the neck/mouth. Then next I measure, trim to length, & champher/deburr. After that you should be set. I'm not into messing with the flash-hole, other than removing a crimp when required.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
one.shot.one.kill

Always full-length size new unprimed brass and then check overall length. Many times new brass is out of spec so trimming is essential for safety.
Political Correctness: A doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up excrement by the clean end.
Old January 27, 2010, 02:04 PM   #4
res45

I always resize new brass,it sizes the case for the correct dia bullet and makes sure it straight,never take anything for granted,you can neck size,do a 3/4 sizing or full length resize with a set of FL dies.

What if it turns out your chamber is a bit out of rds. and your fire formed cases don't always fit,stuff happens. Nothing wrong with neck sizing it's just nice to have options.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:52 PM   #5
James R. Burke

I always full length resize new brass also. I was using Winchester had better luck with it than Remington. I now use Laupa. The Laupa's are so close you could probably use them right out of the box, not much prep work needed. I believe for the qualitiy of the brass and number of reloads you get out of it with less prep work they are worth it for myself. I am not saying there the best or run out, and buy them the others are great, and will work just fine. This is just me only.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
CarterMccoy

inventory management

You need to make sure you track how many shots each one has been fired through it.
Also, you need to full legnth size them all, and flash hole deburr them all - right off the bat, so you dont forget and leave the primer holes un deburred.

You will love new factory brass if you monitor your inventory correctly, process them all in the same batch when ever possible, and keep good records of the performance you get by trying different things (like neck size hald way down the neck for instance).

Above all - ENJOY.....
Old January 27, 2010, 07:00 PM   #7
CarterMccoy

Ditto

Winchester brass is more uniform than remington. The flash hole comparison will show you that.
I started out with 50 of each and did the full length size and flash hole deburr operations - remington was very erratic, Winchester was very consistant.

I get one hole at 100 yards with my Winchester brass - 5 shots, one hole.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:08 PM   #8
TRguy

I resize all brass that comes in to my possession....minimal time investment to prevent protential problems further down the road in the process.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:48 PM   #9
stump shooter

I size all new brass, rifle or pistol.
I used to use the expander button in a full length die on my rifle case necks to strighten them out until I understood the benefits of the Lee collet neck die.
Now I only use the Lee collet neck die on new rifle brass to iron out the neck and position it as straight as possible. No need for shoulder or body contact on new rifle brass IMHO.

I then verify trim consistency, clean flash hole, debur neck, and depending on use, uniform primer pockets.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:22 PM   #10
jepp2

Do you have a cartridge gauge? If so, drop them in and size any that don't pass.

I have found that running the expander through the neck and doing and inside neck chamfer is necessary. I haven't found it necessary to resize new rifle brass, but I do realize that most people do resize it. The necks are soft in the annealed state, and easily deform in bulk handling.

If Remington or Winchester was going to load the same brass you are buying, they wouldn't resize them prior to loading. YMMV
Old January 27, 2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Magnum Mike

Thanks guys. I'll get both dies then. I just figured it would be easier to start off fresh when my new gun gets here. No buying factory ammo just to get the brass. With the price of factory ammo I could buy Dies, brass,powder, and bullets.