The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 5, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Amagi

Best state to get a non-resident CCW?

I live in new jersey, which is a "may issue state" (I.e, no one except police). I want a CCW to use when I go ou of state, and I wantedto know Which state would be easiest for me to get one in as a non-resident? I've heard Utah and Flordia are the best? Any suggestions or comments?

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'
Old August 5, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Go here to build a map showing what states you could carry in with any variety of permits.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Utah and Florida are definitely two of the best. You would have access to 35 states, give or take a couple.
Old August 5, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
patriotthad

www.packing.org
Old August 5, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

patriotthad?

Packing.Org has been taken down. It's been defunct for quite a while now.
Old August 5, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
patriotthad

Sorry, www.usacarry.com
Old August 5, 2009, 10:02 PM   #6
uncledewey

I live in Ohio and we can't carry Pennsylvania. Most of the people I know have gotten their permit from Florida so they can carry in PA. It appears from my discussions with them that would be your best bet.
Old August 5, 2009, 10:24 PM   #7
C Philip

Utah and Florida are the two non-resident permits that allow you to carry in the most states.
Old August 6, 2009, 01:57 PM   #8
ChuckS

Quote:
I live in Ohio and we can't carry Pennsylvania. Most of the people I know have gotten their permit from Florida so they can carry in PA. It appears from my discussions with them that would be your best bet.
As long as you have your OH permit why not get the PA LTCF? Not difficult (shall issue), not expensive ($26), no training requirements.

For more info visit Centre Co Sheriff

Sorry, it won't work with those that don't have a permit from their home state (NJ) so Utah and Florida may be your best bet for wide coverage. Don't over look some of the others like New Hampshire.

Good luck.
Old August 6, 2009, 02:43 PM   #9
AirForceShooter

it's going to be a long wait for Florida.
Currently around 120 days

AFS
Old August 18, 2009, 07:18 AM   #10
Dewhitewolf

A Florida license is good for seven years now. It also seems to be recognized by more states than other non-resident licenses. The only training requirement is proof of being trained by a certified instructor (does not have to be a pistol class; it can be any firearm course that has a live fire element).

A Utah license requires a course taught by a Utah certified instructor.

Virginia is another easy license to get (just about any firearm training course will do), but it is not as widely recognized as Florida.

NH will also issue licenses to non-residents, but you must already have a carry license from either your home state, or any other state that NH has reciprocity with (unless you are a resident of Vermont, which does not issue carry licenses at all).
Old August 18, 2009, 08:05 AM   #11
doctruptwn

The problem with NH is that they don't have that many states and they recently jacked thier price from $20 to $100 bucks.
Old August 18, 2009, 01:48 PM   #12
Yellowfin

I'm glad I got in on NH before they raised their prices. Combined with PA I've got almost everywhere I want to be, and when I get Maine's I'll be set.
Old August 18, 2009, 02:31 PM   #13
Wuchak

That depends on where you want to travel and if you already have a permit from your own state.

FL and UT are the two most recognized out of state permits. Both of their non-resident permits will let you carry in 29 states, the coverage is almost identical. Not all states that have reciprocity with FL and UT honor non-resident permits though. I have removed those states so according to the list from handgunlaw.us:

Both FL and UT get you:
AL,AR,AZ,DE,GA,ID,IN,KY,LA,MO,MS,MT,NC,ND,NM,OH,OK,PA,SD,TN,TX,UT,VA,WV,WY

FL adds:
FL,KS

UT adds
MN,WA

As more states gain reciprocity with each other the value of the UT and FL non-resident permits is diminishing. When I got my UT non-resident permit in 2005 KS, where I live, had no CCW permit at all. Now we have a pretty good shall issue permit and reciprocity with 20 states. 16 of those overlap with UT but I get CO,MI,NV,KS, and SC added.

Last edited by Wuchak; August 18, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:56 PM   #14
jg0001

Given that NJ makes it impossible to get a resident carry permit, does that hamper my ability to get a non-resident FL permit? I know PA will only issue non-resident permits to those with resident permits in their home state. [Long story short, anyone here HAVE a non-res FL permit and live as a resident in NJ?]

*edit* Looks like the map at the bottom of this link is my answer...
http://www.usacarry.com/florida_conc...formation.html

Last edited by jg0001; August 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:08 PM   #15
Don P

Just move to another state as I stated in another thread that you basicly asked the same question.( Going to school in PA.)
August 10, 2009, 12:21 AM #1
Amagi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I live in New Jersey, but I go to school in PA. Is it legal for me to buy a pistol, rifle or shotgun in PA and transport it to NJ or have it in NJ? Do I need to register the pistol, rifle or shotgun...or just the pistol? Just a legal question.

Thanks for the help.
,MAG 40 Graduate
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 21, 2009, 06:16 AM   #16
blume357

jg0001,

No, Florida is not going to look at your application any different than someone who is from a more gun friendly state.

I have a friend who lives just out side of Chicago Il, and he has a Florida Permit for when he travels outside of his state.

I got my Fl permit about 2 years ago and it was a little problematic, I got the finger print card kicked back, fixed that, then had to send them certified proof that a conviction from 30 years ago was not a felony... they actually were very helpful for a government agency in instructing me what needed to be done to fix both these problems.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:00 AM   #17
Wuchak

You can get the permit from FL but you do have to get your handguns from an FFL in NJ as handguns can only be transferred to you by an FFL in your state of residence.
Old August 23, 2009, 03:57 PM   #18
Dewhitewolf

I am a NJ resident and I have a Florida CCW (though it's actually called a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License). There is no problem for NJ residents to obtain it. In fact, an organization I belong to, NJ Coalition for Self Defense (www.njcsd.org), has hosted events to help people apply for this (we provided the photography, notary public, police to fingerprint, and the applications).

It allows you to carry a firearm, or any weapon under the state code, while in Florida. If you use it to carry in another state, you are limited to handguns. Also, it does not allow you to purchase handguns in Florida; as Wuchak said, you have to do a state-to-state transfer to a FFL in NJ if you wish to purchase a handgun from an out of state seller.

If you move, the license is still valid, though you should notify Florida of your new address (you can also get a replacement license with the new address for a nominal fee).
Old August 26, 2009, 12:29 PM   #19
jg0001

As a NJ resident, I have no intention to purchase anything in FL nor do I feel a need to do so (I'm not sure how that came up with other posters). I'd be much more likely to use the permit in my neighboring Pennsylvania (to carry). [For the record, I have my NJ FPID and already have numerous firearms, so purchasing isn't on the menu right now, just the carry permit.]

To be honest, I'm as or more interested in just having a credential in the event I have my weapons in another state, whether I need it or not. I also want to satisfy laws that say things such as you can only "transport a weapon directly to and from a legal place of useage" and the like... i.e. if I went to shoot with a relative in PA, but then wanted to spend OTHER time in PA (with my firearm(s)) and not have to worry about running afoul of the law), I figure a carry permit would help in that regard.

Maybe it's just all the NJ legal morass that's making me overly cautious...