The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 14, 2018, 01:15 PM   #1
McCarthy

Avoid Meprolight products

I'll make it short:

Meprolight night sight for my G42 failed, sent email to The Mako Group customer service, filled out RMA form, got RMA number, sent in RMA docs and defective rear sight, tracking confirmed delivery, had to remind them 3 times by now, was offered replacement (email below), but never got it in the mail. The same issue can be found in different reviews online.

The defective rear sight also didn't fit properly. I had to file it down in order to be able to push it into the slide.

Bottom line:
- bad product fitment
- tritium element failed within 2 years
- bad / none existing customer service
- their warranty is worthless

Email:

From: ****** ****** [mailto:******.*****@themakogroup.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:24 AM

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were closed for the holidays and got backed up. I will process it today. It should be shipped within the next week.
Thank you for your patience.

Old December 14, 2018, 07:13 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Most all replacement rear sights need to be filed to fit. That's normal and a good thing. If they weren't that way they'd be falling out for being too loose. I fail to see what your problem is with their response.....they're busy at the holiday season and promised to ship it out. I really get tired of everyone using these forums to tell everyone else not to buy someone's products. If I followed all those gripes I'd be sitting here in the dark with nothing to do because I wouldn't own anything to do anything with. Every company makes some defects once in a while. It happens. If you NEVER get a replacement sight let us know.
Old December 15, 2018, 12:26 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
I really get tired of everyone using these forums to tell everyone else not to buy someone's products
If anyone of 'these forums' cared the manufacturer would have made an effort to take care of our member, their customer. Some are not interested in repeat customers, they are interested in cheating everyone once.

I purchased two stock from Micro fit, both arrived looking more like clubs than gun stocks and there was nothing about the clubs that could be fixed with minor fitting. And then it got uglier.

F. Guffey
Old December 15, 2018, 01:48 PM   #4
CLYA

And...……..I just had to file a front sight, to fit a sig. It's something I expect to do, once and awhile. The rear sight, went in with a good degree of tightness, and no filing. But other than that, filing replacement sights is a normal course of action, when required.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:50 PM   #5
reynolds357

When I was armorer at the P.D. we used both Meprolight and Trijicon. I can't tell you about either ones warranty service because we never had a failure from either. These are not target sights. If they fall off, you might die. They are meant to be FIT and PRESSED into place. Meprolight is top shelf stuff.
Old December 16, 2018, 02:04 AM   #6
Onward Allusion

Agreed. Meprolight and Trijicon (and Truglo) are the only sights on my guns. Never had a fitment issue. They are suppose to be installed with a press and not slide into the dovetail.
Old December 16, 2018, 03:13 PM   #7
rock185

I've used both brands mentioned for years and have not experienced any issues with either to this point.

As to the fit of the sight, I have changed many. With rare exception, all required fitting. No matter the firearm, or sight, manufacturer........ymmv