The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2000, 10:26 AM   #1
Keeper

I am looking to start reloading and need advice on the best basic kit to start with. I am going to start reloading .303 and .17 rem. I know that I might have trouble finding dies for the .17 rem.

Thank you.
Old February 4, 2000, 01:38 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Thank goodness you said "best basic" instead of cheapest. I think the best basic kit that everything you need except the dies is the Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit. It is occasionally put on sale by Midway and Natchez.
Old February 4, 2000, 01:58 PM   #3
ol blue

Natchez has the Rock chucker kit on sale now for $214.95. Pretty hard to beat.
Old February 4, 2000, 02:16 PM   #4
Keeper

Thanks for the advice. That RCBS kit is what I am looking for. I appreciate the help. I am looking forward to reloading my own. I also found .17 and .303 reloading dies in there group A set. Any other advice for a newcomer to reloading is welcome.

Thanks again.
Old February 4, 2000, 11:36 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My advice? Read various books, and don't get in a hurry.

Search the archives here and browse.

Any time you're at a gunshow and run across a good used reloading book, if the price is right, buy it.

Don't ever get in a hurry.

Then, when you actually start reloading, write down all loads, and date them. If you try test-loads, 3 to 5 loads with a bit different powder as you work up a load, use a magic marker for color coding (just a swipe across the case-head) and write it down!

Double check yourself from time to time as you go. When you use a powder measure, go to the scale every 100-200 rounds and make sure it's still "on weight".

And don't be in a hurry.

, Art
Old February 5, 2000, 12:30 AM   #6
swifter...

The best basic I generally reccommend is the RCBS "Partner" kit, not as heavy-duty as the Rockchucker, but a few bucks less, and made of honest metals, not aluminum pot metal.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old February 5, 2000, 01:18 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

I'll add my recommendation for the Rock Chucker as an outstanding single stage press. I started with one and still use it for small runs and for heavy magnum loads. I now use a Dillon 550B progressive for production reloading.

You can't go wrong with a Rock Chucker. Regards, Mikey.
Old February 6, 2000, 06:08 PM   #8
Monkeyleg

I started out years ago with a Rock Chucker and it's still the one I use today. After thousands and thousands of rounds it still performs. And their customer service people are great. When I've broken parts (my fault every time), they send me replacement parts for free.

Dick
Old February 9, 2000, 01:01 PM   #9
sundog

happiness is... an rcbs rockchucker. i also have a thirty plus year young rcbs junior that's still goin' strong. grand kids will probably being using them when i'm long gone. these are good products backed up by a good customer relations department! sundog

------------------
safety first
Old February 19, 2000, 12:38 AM   #10
makarov

I have been debating on either the kit with the Partner Press ($99) or the kit with the Rockchucker ($214-250). To me $100 is still a big difference especially if you are just starting out. I think I would vote for the Partner press kit - he is reloading rifle calibers as well. The Rockchucker *can* be converted to progressive with the Piggyback setup. If he were reloading pistol ammo that might be a consideration for future expansion.
Old February 21, 2000, 01:52 PM   #11
Nestor Rivera

Just a voice in the wilderness, I have been happy with my Lee aniversary kit. Other wise I would probabply go with Liman and the T-Mag Kit.
Old February 21, 2000, 08:48 PM   #12
killer45auto

Dont forget the Dillon