The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2015, 02:23 PM   #1
dirtd0g

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm - A New Shooter's Review

I've been seeing a ton of thread pop up all over the place asking about the Shield versus something else. Considering I, as a newer shooter and CCW holder, have recently went though my decision-making process it may be helpful to some other newer shooters out there if I did another review (in addition to My Review on the Mosquito).

Yes, that's 4 shots touching in the middle...

After over a month of research, shooting, deliberating, second-guessing, and flip-flopping I chose the M&P Shield in 9mm. It was on the top of a very short list. The final 3 contenders were, naturally, my chosen CCW, the Kahr PM9, and the S&W 638 Airweight. I had no budget and every other compact or sub-compact I looked at was slowly tossed off the list for various reasons. This includes the Glock 43 as well as comparably designed items from Sig Sauer, Taurus, KelTec, and everything in between.

Most of the top contenders...

For the purposes of this review let's forget about everything except my top three. Right off the bat I can tell you I ditched the revolver idea due to its 5-round capacity, the fact that we already have a 9mm in the household to "share" ammunition with, and both the Shield and PM9 felt better in my hands.

Mmmmm, like hand-candy... Notice how perfect the after-market floor-plate makes that 7-round magazine.

After shooting the 2 guns chose the Shield over the Kahr. The decision came down to some small details:

1) Trigger - The Kahr has this smooth Double-Action-Only trigger that I kinda' liked... But I found that the Shield's trigger allowed me to be more accurate and was much more "predictable". The Kahr just kind of pulled and pulled and pulled and then broke at some point. The Shield's trigger has some slack where I can stop and then just pull a little bit more for the break.

2) Construction - The Kahr is tight and well built no doubt, but it has too much polymer for me. I liked the sturdy metal contacts for the Shield's rails.

3) Capacity - 7 or 8 + 1 for the Shield versus 6 + 1 only for the Kahr.

4) Ergonomics - Everything about the Shield fit me better. It "bit" less than the Kahr while firing, I am able to get a better purchase on it, and with the pinkie extensions can basically get my whole hand on the grip.

Now, about the Shield... I have NOTHING bad to say about it. It is, for all intents and purposes, a perfect concealable 9mm semi-automatic pistol. No frills, nothing fancy, not "tacticool", just functional as all get-go. It feel great, shoots great, and works great. I have had absolutely no issues with any ammuntion; it has eaten the cheapest crap I could find and fires the hottest self-defense rounds flawlessly.

The ONLY additions I have made so far are the Pearce Grip Extensions and a Hogue Jr. Grip Sleeve. The are NO issues with the stock trigger; it isn't just "not bad". It is crisp with a solid, predictable amount of take-up and a short reset for quick and accurate followup shots. If you buy one new, PLEASE shoot it stock for a few sessions before you start-a-smithin' the guts out of it. This sights are also pretty nice and perfect right out of the box, although I can see why some people want to throw some bright tritium sets in. I also used some dark green nail polish to color the slide's inlay; it is nice and subtle. If they ever make an OD Green Hogue Jr., I'll get one of those up as well. For me it has the perfect combination of size, function, form, and reliability that I want in a CCW.

Something this solid, this sweet a shooter, and THIS thin... Very nice.

I've heard many complain about the safety. I have had no issues with it. It is in a good position and well designed. The way it is "beveled" into the frame makes it easy to disengage by swiping your thumb-knuckle down across it and damn near impossible to flip on "by accident". You really need to make a full attempt to put that safety on; it requires me to use the tip of my thumb. Practice makes perfect, so if you aren't going to remove or plug the safety, get used to developing a nice callous on the inside of your thumb from dragging that lever down.

With practice, disengaging the safety as you draw becomes a smooth and effortless process...

My Shield is my daily CCW. I wear it IWB in a nice Kydex holster. It disappears under a simple T-Shirt and I can even throw a collared button-up over it to make it go completely unnoticed. I carry it loaded, 7+1, with an extra 7-round magazine in a pocket.

In the future I may throw some tritium sights in there, but for now it's right on. If a scrub like me can pour 7 rounds into a 3-inch group at 6 yards and even have 4 of them touch, you know it shoots straight. If I can pound 300+ assorted rounds through it while clean, dirty, and everything in between, you know it's reliable. If I can effortlessly take it down to clean it you know it's well-designed. And, if I can't take my eyes off of it while it's in sight you know it's a sexy beast.

As always please feel free to correct any mistakes I may have made, ask any questions you think I may be able to answer, and share your own opinions!

Shoot safe and shoot straight!

Last edited by dirtd0g; June 5, 2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old June 5, 2015, 03:06 PM   #2
SIMP

You chose wisely. I have one without the safety and it's a great little gun that shoots and handles like a full size. Enjoy it.
Old June 5, 2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Frankly

The Shield has been my backup CCW and my wife's primary since it first hit the market. Smith & Wesson quality, lifetime service, goes bang every time, feels perfect in hand, costs considerably less than subcompacts of lessor quality.
Old June 5, 2015, 10:36 PM   #4
marine6680

Nicely laid out post. You put effort into this. (sometimes I think I need to do these things... then I remember I type slow enough, I don't need to add to the time it takes to post )
Old June 6, 2015, 09:49 AM   #5
osbornk

This is one of the best done posts I have seen anywhere. It was clearly a lot of work and I appreciate work well done.

Thanks.
Old June 6, 2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Jo6pak

Well thought out review and nicely done along with being concise without too much fluff.

I have gone through the same process lately. My final 2 were the G43 and Shield. I came to the same conclusion.

I just picked up my Shield the other day
Old June 6, 2015, 10:48 AM   #7
garryc

Let me give my endorsement for a S+W Shield:

When 110 pound 5"4" beautiful baby girl turned 21 she got a CCW class and a S+W Shield in 9mm.

Nuff said!!

Of course at the range she was shooting my 3" GP-100 when she looked at me with those big green eye's and said "Poppy, can I have this?" When Hannah calls me "poppy" something's up. (Just like the prom dress) I no longer own a GP-100 3", but I do still get to reload for it. When your daughter steals your ammo that's a good thing. She since used the 'poppy" word to get an entire coffee can of 9mm reloads.

Baby girl, only child, has me wrapped around her little finger, I'm such a sucker!!

Last edited by garryc; June 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old June 6, 2015, 11:31 AM   #8
g.willikers

Nicely done review.
Even without having any personal interest in getting one, it was definitely a worth while and informative article.
The moving pictures were neat, too.
Old June 6, 2015, 02:43 PM   #9
dirtd0g

Thanks for the responses and feedback, guys!

As a long-time computer nerd, gamer, and old forum warrior posts and pictures come naturally to me.

I made the .gif (a moving image) from a series of photos I took with my wife's Nikon DSLR and just strung them together on a free online site. I thought it would be helpful for people to actually "see" how the safety operates... How easy it is to disengage and how "difficult" it is to reengage.

That and I know you guys love pictures.

I have no updates because any other testing I do will undoubtedly make me love the pistol even more. When, not IF, but WHEN I get some bright night-sights installed I'll post some more pictures.

I was at a local shop today (picked up a sweet old Norinco SKS) saw a half dozen people come in looking for a nice CCW in 9mm. Needless to say I was a staunch advocate for the Shield.
Old June 6, 2015, 02:48 PM   #10
subhuman

I consider the Shield to be the best all-around Single stack 9mm you can have, when I really need the gun to disappear I reach for the Shield. I prefer a full size carry gun but the Shield is there when I need it
Old June 6, 2015, 04:08 PM   #11
redrick

Nice review & shooting .
Old June 6, 2015, 05:53 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Great review - thanks for posting.

I currently carry a Smith J frame Model 36 snub - I like it and it works well but I've been looking at a Shield and will probably get one in the near future to switch off and on for CCW.

Some folks have a real issue with the safety . . . I really fail to see where it is a problem. If you don't want to use it, leave it off - but it's a "personal" thing. My other carry is a SR9 when I want a little more "capacity". I have no problem "sweeping" the safety off and I have to believe the Shield would be the same way with practice.

I've heard very little "negative" on the Shield and it appears to be a nice and easy carry due to the size and slim profile.

Congrats on your new Smith - enjoy and thanks of the great review!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 6, 2015, 06:25 PM   #13
dave421

Good review. I prefer the 43 for my EDC but my wife carries the Shield. I agree with pretty much everything you said except for the "crisp" trigger but it is much improved over the normal M&P trigger. The Shield is the best value for a ccw out there imo. My only complaint was wishing it was just a bit shorter (why I carry the 43). Great gun.
Old June 6, 2015, 09:03 PM   #14
claydoctor

I tend to have a phobia about an accidental discharge when carrying a semi with one in the chamber . That why "cocked and locked" has always bothered me. When I bought my Shield , I was vaguely aware that some had issues with the thumb safety so I opted for the newer non safety model . After some dry firing and remembering how when I shot my neighbor's Shield , it had very little take up , I returned the first gun and traded for the one with the safety . I've spent may years and bought a lot of guns looking for the perfect carry piece . This may be it .
Old June 6, 2015, 09:27 PM   #15
dirtd0g

Quote:
Nice review & shooting .
Thanks, Rick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydoctor
I tend to have a phobia about an accidental discharge when carrying a semi with one in the chamber . That why "cocked and locked" has always bothered me. When I bought my Shield , I was vaguely aware that some had issues with the thumb safety so I opted for the newer non safety model . After some dry firing and remembering how when I shot my neighbor's Shield , it had very little take up , I returned the first gun and traded for the one with the safety . I've spent may years and bought a lot of guns looking for the perfect carry piece . This may be it .
My fear of accidentally discharge with a chambered round quickly dissipated by using the ever-loving hell out of the weapon and then just biting the bullet and carrying it that way. I have practiced my draw so much that the safety is off as soon as the lever is exposed; I don't even think about it any more. I actually make the same motion whenever I draw ANY pistol now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbugbilly
Congrats on your new Smith - enjoy and thanks of the great review!
Thanks, man! Take your time deciding, but the Shield is perfect for me... It's a winner for sure.

Tags
9mm , ccw , s&w shield , semi-auto hand guns