The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2019, 08:48 PM   #1
elsancudo

Walther PPS 9mm First Edition

Anyone know much about this handgun? I notice they're a different color than the regular production. Anything special about them? How many produced?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 16, 2019, 01:23 PM   #2
elsancudo

Researched and finally found it. 1,000 Walther PPS M1 9mm pistols were produced. Some had peeling issues on the gray part. Went and shot another regular M1 I just bought and with 124gr it jammed on third shot. Went inside and stretched spring out and it cycled fine after that. Shot really well with 115gr PMC.
Old November 16, 2019, 05:08 PM   #3
Dan-O

I have the m2 and love it.
Old November 16, 2019, 08:25 PM   #4
zeke

Have a 1st version black made in Germany. The very first ones had trigger pack problems, which factory fixed grats. The sights are European sighting style, use dot to cover target. Very good triggers and accuracy, but the initial runs were premium priced compared to when they went to next version and the M2's. I have kept it as it is slim, accurate and good mags. Oh , and the heel release is European.
Old November 16, 2019, 09:33 PM   #5
JDBerg

I also have the M2 and like it a lot.
Old November 21, 2019, 04:57 PM   #6
Bart Noir

Zeke, the PPS M1 which I had used the twin paddles for releasing the magazine. one on each side of the trigger guard. What heel release are you talking about?

It also had a screwy open-the-backstrap method of removing the slide without pulling the trigger. I just pulled the trigger, being very very safety conscious.

And I sold it as soon as the PPS M2 came out. It is a whole new pistol compared to the M1 and I bought two. One with the red-dot sight, one without.

Bart Noir
Who is rather affectionate towards Walthers.
Old November 21, 2019, 05:08 PM   #7
zeke

Bart Noir-Sorry i had a senior moment and miss spoke. Mine has the single paddle mag release on bottom of trigger guard, that can be accessed from either side. Too quickly associated it with European. One time i removed the back strap for cleaning, but also figured out it was not necessary. Ordered a shorter replacement front site for it, and really like the middle capacity mag for all three fingers yet concealable. The other weird thing is the stepped chamber, which i speculate helps it's accuracy.