The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 9, 2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Pops1085

Getting a lot of gas blowback. Unsupressed.

At least I think I am. Tried shooting a little faster today with an AR that I assembled. Shoots great, 500 rounds in without an issue so far, but it was all slow fire. Anyways tried doing some faster doubles and triples to see how I’d do and couldn’t hardly keep my eyes open. It actually stung haha. What do you think is going on here? Is that normal? I do have a strike industry charging handle that has a little lip, it could be throwing the gas up into my eyes.
Old September 9, 2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Mobuck

Really shouldn't be any more gas coming back shooting rapid fire. Maybe need to check your gas rings.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:23 AM   #3
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1085 View Post
At least I think I am. Tried shooting a little faster today with an AR that I assembled. Shoots great, 500 rounds in without an issue so far, but it was all slow fire. Anyways tried doing some faster doubles and triples to see how I’d do and couldn’t hardly keep my eyes open. It actually stung haha. What do you think is going on here? Is that normal? I do have a strike industry charging handle that has a little lip, it could be throwing the gas up into my eyes.
Check this article out, hope it helps.
https://modernrifleman.net/2015/06/2...eap-ar-15-mod/
Old September 10, 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Pops1085

What do I check on those gas rings? They seem a lot looser, as in I can push them to the side and see daylight under them, but they’re all intact, and the gaps aren’t lined up. I can stand the bolt up with the bolt face on the table and it will stay up, so I think the seal is still tight
Old September 10, 2018, 11:23 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

You ARE wearing shooting glasses, aren't you???
Old September 10, 2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Pops1085

No, why would I? I’m shooting cardboard, not steel, in an open field at a minimum of 100 yards with my backstop even farther. If my guns going to blow up, no amount of eye pro is going to save me.
Old September 10, 2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

That’s not true. Modern eye protection is fairly impressive. There are videos of eye protection stopping #6 birdshot out of a 12ga. out there. Of course, it won’t guarantee you are uninjured; but it sure won’t hurt.

By any chance are you a lefty?
Old September 10, 2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Mobuck

"If my guns going to blow up, no amount of eye pro is going to save me."

Sorry, that is incorrect. I had a blow-up in 1997 resulting is serious injuries. My shooting glasses were pockmarked and my face around the glasses received numerous bits of spatter BUT my eyes were not touched. I have little doubt I would have suffered at least some level of vision loss had those glasses not protected my eyes.
That said, I don't wear glasses full time when hunting. I also haven't noticed any appreciable back blast from any of the dozens of AR type rifles we shoot-even when suppressed. I do use a Strike or BCM "gas buster" type charge handle on my suppressed hunting guns.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:29 PM   #9
marine6680

The gas ring's gaps lining up... No need to worry about that, that is an old myth, it can run with a single ring if need be. If the bolt stays as you describe, they are in good shape.

It shouldn't cause excessive blowback either if they are lined up. And an unsuppressed AR shouldn't give a lot of blowback. It isn't none though, and some people may simply be more sensitive to it.

What ammo are you using?

Is the carrier key tight?

Could the rifle be way over gassed?
Old September 10, 2018, 10:20 PM   #10
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1085 View Post
No, why would I? I’m shooting cardboard, not steel, in an open field at a minimum of 100 yards with my backstop even farther. If my guns going to blow up, no amount of eye pro is going to save me.
The Wiley X brand of glasses are 100% ANSI rated which means ballistically the frames and lenses must withstand the impact of a 25 mm diameter steel ball at 150 fps. This I vouch for personally as I wore them through out my military career and still do no.

It would be a shame to survive a gun blowing up and you are blinded because you did not want to wear glasses or eye protection. All it takes is a tiny sliver.
Old September 11, 2018, 07:45 AM   #11
MagnumWill

I think we've found the problem. An $8 pair of safety glasses, or a $15 set of sunglasses.

I HAVE to wear safety glasses when shooting my AK. It'll throw gun oil into my eyes constantly otherwise, where the drive home was constantly interrupted by eye drop sessions.
Old September 11, 2018, 08:55 AM   #12
Fishbed77

It's scary to think there are still people making excuses for not using basic common sense like wearing eye protection when shooting.

One more reason our insurance rates are so high.

There are plenty of other eye hazards from shooting other than your gun blowing up, including flying unburnt powder, oil, dust, or debris, flying brass, or shenanigans from your neighbor at the range.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:24 AM   #13
imashooter

Quote:
The Wiley X brand of glasses are 100% ANSI rated which means ballistically the frames and lenses must withstand the impact of a 25 mm diameter steel ball at 150 fps. This I vouch for personally as I wore them through out my military career and still do.
Same here. We switched to Wiley X early on. You don't need shrapnel to appreciate eye protection. A small dose of particulate, renegade brass, etc can make for a bad day.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Ricklin

No No No

Never shoot without eye protection. Period.

My old friend and boss Russ lost an eye to a knife sharpening accident. He owned the factory where I worked, said factory had a large machine shop.

Pity the fool he would catch on the shop floor without their eyes on. The "conversation" generally ended with. Have you noticed that one of my eyes does not move? There is a reason for that........

Russ was an avid shooter, always with eye pro, of course.

When you have lost one, the other becomes more precious. Always eye protection when shooting, no exceptions.
Old September 11, 2018, 12:57 PM   #15
Pops1085

Of course another thread on this forum gets derailed by the mods. Should’ve known better.
Old September 11, 2018, 01:55 PM   #16
stagpanther

Having blown up AR's myself--unless you have a bore obstruction the odds are good that the over-pressure will be vented down the bolt extractor out the bottom of the carrier and into the magazine without creating a shrapnel-throwing hand grenade back at you. It will however, totally destroy the magazine and anything in it, and possibly blow chunks of the carrier down and out as well. (word to the wise if you like gripping your magazine). Think a shower of mag parts and even powder from the cartridge cases--that can be sprayed everywhere including your face.
Old September 11, 2018, 02:35 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
Of course another thread on this forum gets derailed by the mods. Should’ve known better.
Sorry you got a common sense response and not the answer you were looking for?
Old September 11, 2018, 04:06 PM   #18
bfoosh006

While I agree with safety glasses... and you really can't blame anyone for looking out for you.

I do suggest you try changing the buffer weight to another, heavier version. I'd bet you are running a standard buffer weight. Try an H2 buffer.

And perhaps a stronger recoil spring. I run Tubbs Flatwires in all my AR's.. from 9x19, 5.56, 6.5CM and .308.

It will keep the bolt closed for just milliseconds longer, but it does allow the gas to vent out the barrel more.
Those few milliseconds will probably make a big difference.

Also, what ammo ? Some of the ammo out there can be ammonia smelling. So maybe try some other ammo.

You could always try the RTV on the charging handle trick.