The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 25, 2018, 01:33 AM   #1
MrBot

Aero AR15 Carbine Complete Lower Receivers--Any Preference?

Well, Aero CS is closed 'til Mon & I need to make a choice on a CLR by then. I want a Fixed Stock & I like 2 of their offerings, not the least of my reasoning being that these are 2 of their least if not their least expensive CLRs: The 1st is the one with the MOE Grip & Fixed Carbine Stock. It has the Upper Tension Screw, Threaded Takedown Detent Recess & Increased Magwell Flare. The second is the less expensive ($229.99 vs $205) Standard Anodized Black model with the M4 Stock & A2 Grip. Both are Gen 2 Lower Receivers. Both are on sale through Sun. I'm not sure if the 2nd has a Fixed or Collapsible Stock. Any opinions?

Last edited by MrBot; August 25, 2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: More appropriate title
Old August 25, 2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Mobuck

"It has the Upper Tension Screw, Threaded Takedown Detent Recess"

The first feature is more of an advertising advantage than real life advantage.
The second isn't worth much unless you happen to be an inveterate tinker who changes stocks every week.
Old August 25, 2018, 09:44 AM   #3
rickyrick

Aero has great products, but I think the more standard version would be more to my liking.
Old August 25, 2018, 09:57 AM   #4
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBot View Post
Well, Aero CS is closed 'til Mon & I need to make a choice on a CLR by then. I want a Fixed Stock & I like 2 of their offerings, not the least of my reasoning being that these are 2 of their least if not their least expensive CLRs: The 1st is the one with the MOE Grip & Fixed Carbine Stock. It has the Upper Tension Screw, Threaded Takedown Detent Recess & Increased Magwell Flare. The second is the less expensive ($229.99 vs $205) Standard Anodized Black model with the M4 Stock & A2 Grip. Both are Gen 2 Lower Receivers. Both are on sale through Sun. I'm not sure if the 2nd has a Fixed or Collapsible Stock. Any opinions?

The M4 stock will not be fixed position.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old August 25, 2018, 06:36 PM   #5
marine6680

Neither are fixed stock in the traditional sense.

The fixed carbine stock still uses the carbine buffer tube.

The advantage of the carbine tube is that many stocks use it as a base to attach with.

Last edited by marine6680; August 25, 2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old August 30, 2018, 01:16 AM   #6
MrBot

Well, I studied the issue of a fixed vs collapsible stock & stocks in general, as well as the std AR15 vs M4E1 Lower Receivers from Aero. I opted for an M4E1 Complete Lower Receiver with a Magpul SL-S collapsible stock. It all cost a bit more but from what I've read I think I'm gonna like the set-up. The SL-S has a more generous cheek-piece & that sounds good. It was either that or the Bravo B5 or B5 Enhanced. Hopefully, it'll all lock in nice & tight. But if not maybe it'll be no big deal as some say it won't effect much if it is a bit loose. I was considering a Magpul MOE SL Mid-length Complete Upper, but may go with the M4E1 with the 12" Quantum Handguard instead as it weighs a full pound less per Aero's specs. Wow! ..not sure why the weight difference.