The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 8, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1
2harp2hooter

FL Non-Resident CCW Courses

I currently reside in the Washington, D.C. area, and I have finally decided to pursue a Florida non-resident CCW permit. Aside from the reciprocity this will provide me, along with the ability to obtain other non-resident CCW permits, I am in Florida on an annual basis for a month or so at a time, and I'd appreciate the ability to carry there. The only problem is that I see all of these courses being offered for obtaining a FL non-resident CCW permit, but I have no idea what's legit, and what isn't.

Can someone please provide me with some information on a D.C. area course that would provide me with the necessary requirements for a FL non-resident CCW permit? I haven't the slightest clue as to the legitimacy of all these online ads claiming to offer such courses, and I'd hate to waste money on something that wouldn't afford me what I'm seeking. Thanks ahead of time, and I appreciate any assistance you folks can offer!

-PO1 Marcus Luttrell [On loudmouth who was bad mouthing the U.S. in front of him].
Old May 8, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
MLeake

If you are in the DC area and travel annually to Florida because you are military, then a DD-214 or current training record showing a handgun qual might do it. Looks like a copy of military ID plus training record page showing pistol qual for active duty, after a second look.

For quick reference to requirements, check handgunlaw.us.

Last edited by MLeake; May 8, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Coach Z

I got my FL non resident with just a copy of my NRA basic safety course. I think most any "training" will meet florida's requirement.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:30 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

A few good classes, sources....

If you are not a citizen of the Sunshine State, I suggest contacting or researching a few of these resources;

www.NRA.org www.Mylicensesite.com (the direct link to the FL Div of Licensing) www.Handgunlaw.us www.S2Institute.com www.Lasorsa.com .

If you are a US military veteran with a honorable discharge you may get the FL W(weapon) training requirement waved. You'd need the DD214 form 4. If you are a retired sworn LE officer you may meet the requirements for the FLEOSA(Federal LE Officer's Safety Act). This was the federal law signed in by GW Bush which allows concealed carry by former sworn LEOs(some conditions apply).
If you travel in the USA often, I'd add you may want to get David Wong's legal guide to the gun & knife laws or check www.Gunlawguide.com .

Stay safe & stay legal!....
Clyde
Old May 8, 2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Florida statutory requirement is proof of firearms SAFETY training. As already noted, if you are former military a copy of your DD-214 is sufficient. For anyone else, the NRA Basic Handgun class is accepted, and it's likely that any hunter's safety course approved by any state would also suffice.

The Florida permit is issued by the Department of Agriculture, IIRC. Give them a call and ask. I don't think there is any special course that Florida blesses or requires, and any instructor claiming his class is "Florida Approved" is probably someone I would not want to take a class with.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:21 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Florida K instructors, Las Vegas NV, NRA...

In Florida, K licensed instructors are firearms/range class teachers.
The Div of Licensing also lists any school agency etc with fines/- actions etc so you can check out a program or instructor before paying any fees.

As posted, the NRA should be able to assist anyone looking for firearm or license information too.

CF

ps; I'd heard of a class for tourists in Las Vegas that says it can "qualify" you in 48 US states.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Glenn Dee

A Florida Non Resident permit requirements are the same as they are for a resident. A DD214, a hunter safety cirtificate, or similar firearms safety certification is acceptable. I personally recomend taking a state approved firearms course given at every other gun shop in the state. It's about three hours long, costs an average of $60.00 Besides the safety portion the instructors usually devote time to filling out the application, and sometimes will provide law enforcement to take finger prints, and photo's.

In addition there will be a review of Florida laws regarding firearms. This may be of special importance to those not residing within the state.

Glenn
Old May 9, 2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Dino.

I live in Maryland and received my Non-resident Fla CCW license about a year ago.

If you submit a "safety course" certificate, just make sure the course is one that requires live fire. If not, you will be rejected ... I know.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
If you submit a "safety course" certificate, just make sure the course is one that requires live fire. If not, you will be rejected ... I know.
From the Florida statute, Section 790.06
Quote:
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;
That closing sentence does mean "live fire," but it does not have to be extensive. I know one person who took a class from a police department training officer, at the police department range. When they got to the live fire portion, they were at an outdoor range and the officer told him to shoot. The guy said "But there's no target."

""I didn't say anything about a target -- just shoot."

So my friend pointed the gun (a revolver) in the general direction of the berm and pulled the trigger six times. Done -- he had satisfactorily completed "live fire."

Remember, the requirement is to demonstrate safety, not marksmanship. You don't need a week or tactical training at Thunder Ranch or Gunsite Academy to qualify for a Florida permit.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:21 AM   #10
MLeake

As noted by pretty much all of us, the training requirement is pretty easy. As noted by a few, it is a very good idea to seek some instruction in Florida-specific law, but that is not a pre-requisite for the state.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

When I first obtained my FL non-resident license, and again when I renewed, they sent me a brochure that spelled out the important laws very clearly. I was impressed -- my home state doesn't do that, nor do any of the other states for which I hold non-resident licenses/permits.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:06 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

Big changes to the Florida W or concealed firearm license...

The Florida Div of Licensing made a few good policy/license changes in the last few years.
The length of time for a valid W(concealed license) went from 5 to 7 years. The license holder's address is no longer printed on the plastic ID card & the concealed license holders no longer have their personal information listed in open source databases.

See www.Mylicensesite.com or www.Handgunlaw.us .

I'd also check the states or cities for any legal or carry changes before you travel. Not all places accept or allow the FL W/concealed license.

CF
Old May 11, 2011, 06:30 PM   #13
threegun

Call 813-272-2552 and ask all the questions you like. Its eastern time and m-f only 9-4.

This is the number to the dept of agricultures satellite office in Tampa Florida. I send my customers there for completion of the application to carry. They offer electronic finger printing and photographs. Everything done in 30 minutes. Permit mailed 14 day later. By appointment only however and currently booked up for 2 months.

They should be able to answer your questions however.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:47 PM   #14
blume357

A few years back I applied for a non resident permit from Florida and the Dept. of Ag... kicked back my finger print cards... it just happened that I was going to be in Florida the next week and contacted them to see if I could submit new finger prints electronically from one of their LEO offices... they said no, I had to submit cards... which I had done and mailed in from Tallahassee.

I do agree that since you are in Florida often, I would take the class and do the paper work and prints all down there.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:07 PM   #15
g.willikers

"Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition".

A classification card from USPSA, IDPA, NRA Action Pistol, or similar is supposed to meet training requirements.

Tags
ccw , courses , florida , non-resident , permit