The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 11, 2018, 05:38 PM   #1
MrBot

Magazine Recommendations for Aero AR15

..anyone have any mags they like or don't, or that their ARs have a preference or dislike for?
Old September 11, 2018, 06:10 PM   #2
COSteve

C-Products AR mags are 1st rate as are Magpul. It comes with Magpul 30rd PMags so just get some more of them and you'll be GTG.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:22 PM   #3
raimius

PMags work.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:36 PM   #4
DubC-Hicks

Pmags, Lancers, and D&H are all my go-to's. Mostly Pmags and D&Hs because Primary Arms and PSA always have them on sale.
Old September 12, 2018, 12:12 AM   #5
kymasabe

I have two Ballistic Advantage lowers which I believe are same manufacturer as Aero and i use pmags primarily without a problem. I've also tried hexmag which were fine but felt flimsy to me, and recently tried Amend2 mags, which were ok, functioned fine, but I prefer the Magpul's.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:20 AM   #6
FindANewSlant

PMags my dude, all day erryday.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:37 AM   #7
marine6680

Pmags are basically the gold standard for AR mags.

D&H makes good aluminum mags. I hear hit and miss about C-products.

Lancers work well, I don't like the sproing sound they make when empty though. They use a more flexible polymer than Pmags, Which is why they need steel feed lips. And that polymer is a reason for the springy echo sound.

Daniel Defense makes a good mag.

Hex Mags... And others.

Really, there is a wide selection of good mags available... But there are a few to avoid, like Promag.

In the end, the relatively low cost of gen 2 Pmags, at around $10-12 mages them a go to for many, being that they are the most reliable mags, and are tough.

For stashing away, the D&H mags are usually around $7 a piece, and pack away well being the aluminum type, which are usually a bit physically smaller than poly mags, with flatter contours.
Old September 12, 2018, 11:49 AM   #8
blfuller

For USGI aluminum as other have mentioned the D&H mags are good. Surefeed by OKAY Industries and Brownells have worked well for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kACPKyNEdsw

For polymer, Magpul and Lancer.
Old September 12, 2018, 11:59 AM   #9
bfoosh006

A side note... most all web gear works best with USGI type slick sided magazines... PMags will work, but a Lancer is a better fit IMHO.

Not a huge issue... but it is much easier to remove a slick sided mag then a 3rd Gen PMag . ( With its over insertion tab )

Last edited by bfoosh006; September 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old September 12, 2018, 12:19 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

D&H is my go-to.

PMags (Gen 2 and 3) do get used in my ARs, but they're finicky with some upper/lower combinations. It's gone now, but I had one 5.56 AR that absolutely refused to run with PMags. It ran fine with everything else - just not the PMags.

I have some ASC mags, as well. I wouldn't recommend them. Crappy followers. Cheap springs. All glossed over by their hyped 'space age' coating on the body (which I do like, but it's nothing spectacular). They absolutely failed to work in the intended application (consider it .458 SOCOM), do 'okay' in an alternate (6x45mm), and still have some issues with the rest (actual .223/5.56).
I like the bodies, but they need better followers and springs.
Old September 13, 2018, 08:44 PM   #11
disseminator

Lancer for me.
Old September 14, 2018, 09:21 AM   #12
marine6680

I have never known of Pmags being finicky... I am sure it happens, as there are always the odd duck rifles that throw some quirks into the mix.

But that is usually related to the rifle, if the same mages work in every other rifle, they are likely fine.

On the whole, Pmags have been shown to be the most reliable magazines. The Marine Corps did a test of several different magazines, and found that to be the case. I believe the air Force did a test as well, and the army, all with the same results.
Old September 14, 2018, 09:50 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
On the whole, Pmags have been shown to be the most reliable magazines. The Marine Corps did a test of several different magazines, and found that to be the case. I believe the air Force did a test as well, and the army, all with the same results.
The Army tested, but wanted to keep their budget. So, they ignored the PMag and threw more money at the EPM (Enhanced Performance Magazine).
The Air Force adopted the PMag after the Army's testing for the EPM.
The Marines tested on their own.
Old September 14, 2018, 02:28 PM   #14
marine6680

Yeah, that sounds right.

I remember finding it amusing that the Air Force was making better rifle weapon system decisions than the Army.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:14 PM   #15
50 shooter

www.precisionreflex.com
No time for rearranging.
Old September 15, 2018, 08:55 AM   #16
Charlie98

Another +1 for Pmags. I have always run USGI 20rd mags because they were 100% reliable (assuming the feed lips weren't bent,) but thought I would give a Pmag a test drive... and came away fairly impressed (this was the old Gen 1 mags.) I've since pretty much rolled over to the Pmags even though I still have my stash of Colt 20rd USGI mags for range duty, etc.

I know the go-to is the 30rd AR mag... don't discount the lower cap mags. I still use primarily the 20rd Pmag... it's obviously shorter and works better when shooting from a bench, prone, or otherwise supported were a 30rd would bottom out. You don't always need max cap!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old September 15, 2018, 09:04 AM   #17
Ben Dover

PMags!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.