The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 20, 2020, 11:08 AM   #76
peacefulgary

Quote:
So you’re willing to be charged with a crime and deal with any potential fallout, why? Because a “shady dude” walked in your direction?
No, not me.
My reply was to what CDW4ME posted...

Quote:
I'd did not have a 2nd option pistol in pocket that day; but, the option to put my hand on a pistol without revealing I'm carrying endeared its self to me.
He clearly felt wary enough to wish be had a pistol in his pocket to have his hand upon.
But he apparantly didn't feel that he could place his hand on his concealed pistol inside his waistband.

Quote:
You don’t think that might have any impact on your concealed carry permit (assuming the state you live in requires such a permit)?
Not at all.
Reaching under your shirt is not illegal.
You could be reaching for a pocket knife to cut a cigar, you could be reaching for your car keys, you could be reaching for your cellphone, you could be adjusting your belt...
Again, reaching under your shirt is NOT AGAINST THE LAW.

Quote:
And what happens if you are the exception that disproves the rule and your assumption that you won’t get charged falls through?
First of all, the correct term is "the exception that PROVES the rule", meaning that for every rule there is an exception...which isn't even true btw.
For example...All humans eventually die
There are no exceptions that "prove the rule".

Quote:
Now you have the costs in time and money of going to court and dealing with a charge.
Again, anyone can be charged with anything in the U.S.A..
And yes, it's going to cost you to legally defend yourself.
But if CDW4ME really did feel threatened enough to wish he had his hand on a pistol in his pocket, then I'm not going to second guess him.

Quote:
I’m sorry, but a person who feels the need to reach for a gun just because a person walks in their direction is more concerning to me than the shady dude in the first place.
So you're saying that you're concerned about our forum member CDW4ME?
Old July 20, 2020, 11:17 AM   #77
TunnelRat

Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
No, not me.
My reply was to what CDW4ME posted...

He clearly felt wary enough to wish be had a pistol in his pocket to have his hand upon.
But he apparantly didn't feel that he could place his hand on his concealed pistol inside his waistband.

Not at all.
Reaching under your shirt is not illegal.
You could be reaching for a pocket knife to cut a cigar, you could be reaching for your car keys, you could be reaching for your cellphone, you could be adjusting your belt...
Again, reaching under your shirt is NOT AGAINST THE LAW.

First of all, the correct term is "the exception that PROVES the rule", meaning that for every rule there is an exception...which isn't even true btw.
For example...All humans eventually die
There are no exceptions that "prove the rule".

Again, anyone can be charged with anything in the U.S.A..
And yes, it's going to cost you to legally defend yourself.
But if CDW4ME really did feel threatened enough to wish he had his hand on a pistol in his pocket, then I'm not going to second guess him.

So you're saying that you're concerned about our forum member CDW4ME?

Brandishing is a crime. As I pointed out above, brandishing does not have to involve drawing a firearm. You specifically said putting your hand on the grip of a firearm. That is mentioned in a number of articles as a form of brandishing in some localities. If you want to play games in court where you argue that you weren’t in fact reaching for your firearm when you happened to reach under your shirt, more power to you.

I know what the general expression is, I modified it for my purposes. Thank you though.

I am concerned about anyone that feels the need to reach for a firearm because of a strange person moving in their general area. It’s a mentality that has come up in a number of threads in this sub forum and my thoughts haven’t changed. Note that this is not me saying being alert or situational awareness are bad. This is me talking about the physical act of putting a hand on a loaded firearm.

There is a lot that goes into threat assessment. Outward visual appearance is just one part. What is the person’s demeanor, are their hands visible, these are other parts (and people will have others or different interpretations of what I’ve stated). There are a lot of shady people in the world. Reaching for a firearm because you can see one moving in your direction isn’t a sustainable solution in my mind and can lead to threat escalation that might not have happened otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 20, 2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old July 20, 2020, 11:55 AM   #78
peacefulgary

Quote:
This is me talking about the physical act of putting a hand on a loaded firearm.
How close do you let strangers get to you before you put your hand on your concealed handgun (and I'm assuming that you do carry concealed or open carry fairly often), five feet? Three feet? One foot? Six inches?
Old July 20, 2020, 11:59 AM   #79
TunnelRat

Strangers are around me all the time. I go to stores, I go to restaurants, I put gas in my car. I don’t put my hand on my gun just because a stranger passes near me. Are people usually within a foot of me? No, and if they are I move or I ask them politely to move. This doesn’t involve me touching my gun.

Old July 20, 2020, 12:09 PM   #80
peacefulgary

Quote:
This doesn’t involve me touching my gun
Even if you felt they were a threat and they were within arm's reach?
Old July 20, 2020, 12:25 PM   #81
TunnelRat

Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

Being a stranger and being a threat aren’t necessarily the same thing. See the threat identification comments I made above. Until that person proves himself or herself an active threat then generally no I am not going for my firearm. I would point out that in the situation described by the OP the threat was seemingly well out of arm’s reach.

If you want to expound on this further I might suggest a new thread (while the OP brought up the scenario I think you’d get more input from others if they knew the topic of conversation from the title).

Old July 20, 2020, 12:51 PM   #82
peacefulgary

Quote:
If you want to expound on this further I might suggest a new thread (while the OP brought up the scenario I think you’d get more input from others if they knew the topic of conversation from the title
Good advice.
No hard feelings.
Old July 20, 2020, 01:15 PM   #83
TunnelRat

Same, no hard feelings here. You’re asking legitimate questions.

Old July 20, 2020, 06:57 PM   #84
Swifty Morgan

I carry the most firepower that's practical to carry under the circumstances.
Old April 16, 2022, 04:43 AM   #85
hammer_jockey_91

i always thought that was silly.
"i wont bring my gun because its a good area"
as if because it isnt common that means it wont happen.
Six rounds. No compromise.