The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 17, 2018, 11:01 PM   #1
rickyrick

What are the chances that Washington’s ballot initiative 1639 of making it on the ballot?

The NRA says that they are suing to change the title of the initiative do to it being misleading. I’m not sure what the actual title of the initiative is exactly.

I could be doom and gloom again, but I think if it makes it to the ballot, it will pass.

This is from the email I received from the nra

Quote:
The proposed initiative, if passed, would do the following:

Require a 10 Day Waiting Period for Commonly Owned Rifles. All semi-automatic rifle purchases and transfers would be subjected to a waiting period of 10 business days.
Establish a Government Registry of Firearms. Current law states the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) “may” keep copies of pistol purchase applications. The proposed initiative would instead require the DOL to keep copies of these purchase applications, and would expand this government registry to include semi-automatic rifle purchases.
Require Completion of a Training Course to Purchase Rifles. This initiative would also require all purchasers of semi-automatic rifles to show they have completed a firearm safety training course within the last five years in order to proceed with the sale.
Impose up to a $25 Purchase Fee (GUN TAX) for Semi-Automatic Rifles. The Washington Department of Licensing would be allowed to charge up to a $25 fee for each semi-automatic rifle purchase.
Require Gun Owners to Lock Up their Firearms or Face Criminal Charges. Individuals would be required to lock up their firearms or potentially face a criminal charge of “Community Endangerment Due to Unsafe Storage of a Firearm” if the firearm is accessed by a prohibited person or minor. This intrusive proposal invades people’s homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up.
Restricts Adults Aged 18-20 from Acquiring Modern Rifles. Adults aged 18-20 would be prohibited from purchasing semi-automatic rifles and would not be allowed to receive them through a transfer or loan. The proposed initiative would deny a segment of law-abiding adults from access to the most modern and effective firearms for self-defense, thus depriving them of their constitutional rights.
Require “Warnings” for Firearm Purchases. All firearm purchases would come with a notification about the “inherent risks” of firearm ownership as an attempt to further stigmatize firearms.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:55 PM   #2
rickyrick

Found the rediculous title:

Quote:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. SHORT TITLE. This act may be known and cited as the public safety and semiautomatic assault rifle act.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:17 AM   #3
rwilson452

As per MLK "A right delayed is a right denied." As your in the grip of the 9th. They don't care.
Old May 18, 2018, 05:26 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
What are the chances that Washington’s ballot initiative 1639 of making it on the ballot?
I'm of the opinion that smart lawyers don't quote odds. The odds of an initiative making the ballot would be difficult to speculate, at best. You'd have to answer questions like:
  1. What's the ballot title?
  2. Will the ballot title be acceptable? (I don't know about WA, but in AR, our Attorney General can reject the initiative based on a misleading ballot title.)
  3. Who's pushing it?
  4. What kind of advertising are they doing?

That said, I will agree that it's a horrible bill, if it does what that NRA email claims.