The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

How hot is too hot for an all-steel gun?

I have a SmartCarry. It's been in service now for some time and works well except for a hole the front ramp has worn through it facing forwards.

I want to fabricate a plastic insert that can simply sit in the holster and cradled the muzzle.

In the US, I imagine that buying a sheet of Kydex would be the answer but no one, but no one sells Kydex by the sheet here.

And I'm not paying $100 where 80% is shipping and import taxes and 20% is a sheet of plastic that I'll be cutting up.

So, I intend to find some household product that is sold in a plastic container that is relatively thick, yet the plastic is still flexible and unlikely to split with time.

I can't say what type that is, but I'll recognise the texture and look when I see it.

So, my question: lacking a hot air gun, can I just use the oven to soften the plastic.

The idea is to just put my empty, blued, all-steel revolver on a baking tray minus the wooden grips.

Place the plastic over the area I want to protect in the holster and let the heat do the rest.

In principle, the plastic will soften and drape itself over the gun. I can then trim it once cool.

However, I don't want to harm the gun.

Would temperatures of 200 Celsius damage the finish, or the springs inside etc?

If there's any risk, I'll leave the idea there and look for alternatives.

If the risks are negligible I might consider it further.
Old January 26, 2021, 03:35 PM   #2
ballardw

You might check out: https://www.tandyleatherfactory.uk/c...lies_materials

They have small pieces Kydex starting at about 300x300mm in a couple of weights.
I hope sort of local enough.

Local hobby shops or materials places may have ABS that works about as well.

And https://www.tngun.com/kydex-press/ how to make a not too difficult press. The plastic is heated and then placed over the gun and pressed. So less heat exposure than placing the gun in the oven.
Old January 26, 2021, 04:02 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Those are very good suggestions! I'll look into them.

Thanks for the links.
Old January 26, 2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Scorch

Whatever plastic you use, do not heat it to the point that it droops all over the gun, the results will not be very satisfactory. Rather, heat the plastic until it starts to soften, then form it with your hands (gloves needed) so that it conforms to the shape of the gun.
Old January 26, 2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Ricklin

Vacuum form?

It would take a little fabrication but vacuum forming is not real difficult.

A frame to hold the sheet plastic, a means to suspend a heating element just above the sheet.
A shop vac and a small tabletop with a couple hundred small holes. Box in the bottom seal and attach vacuum cleaner hose. Window weatherstrip works well to seal the edges of the frame that holds the plastic sheet. Weatherstrip on bottom edges of frame, it must seal on the tabletop at the edges all the way around.

Heat from above cause your plastic to "sag" pistol on above tabletop. Turn on the heat, plastic sags, Quickly drop the frame on the tabletop over the pistol and turn on the vacuum.

ABS plastic sheet is tough and cheap. Get on you tube I'm sure there are some videos of vacuum forming. I've seen 4X8 sheets used as above, can easily be scaled way down.
It is not very difficult.