The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 7, 2020, 09:28 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Pedersoli Kentucky Flint

WHY on earth did Pedersoli put a 1:48 rifling in that barrel? Been there done that and no thanks. So they are quickly struck off the list in my shopping for a Flinter. If I stick with my notion of a smoothbore I won't have these problems
Old December 8, 2020, 02:20 AM   #2
bamaranger

1:48

Sounds like you are likely sharp enough to answer your own question, but I will digress for others. The 1:48 is a compromise twist rate claimed to be "fast" enough for heavy conical bullets at hunting velocity, yet "slow" enough for moderate patched roundball loads. I would agree that it seems totally out of place in a long rifle/flintlock from which most of us would shoot roundballs.

My limited experience with 1:48 in .50 caliber traditional T/C rifles is that it works as intended.
Old December 8, 2020, 09:40 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Quote:
I would agree that it seems totally out of place in a long rifle/flintlock from which most of us would shoot roundballs.
Yes Sir, My thoughts exactly, not on THAT rifle. I understand the market may have dictated that move, but it struck me as odd to say the least. My experience with 1:48" Barrels left me aggravated and got the rifles a one way ticket down the river. I couldn't get the things to shoot what I would consider even "good nuff". I stick with SLOW for balls and fast for bullets. No in between for me. Seems Traditions is the only company making a Penn. or KY Flinter with a round ball twist that is somewhat affordable. I'm just shopping around and wanted to complain. But hey it gives me a good reason to converse with you fine Fellers, right?
Old December 8, 2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Pahoo

Sales !!!

Quote:
WHY on earth did Pedersoli put a 1:48 rifling in that barrel?
Obviously to sell but on a "Rock-Crusher", not my cup of tea. Now, 1:48 has been around longer than you might think and often, for no apparent reason. I read where the Hawken brothers were putting out 1:48 back then. ...

Good to hear from ya and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 8, 2020, 01:44 PM   #5
arcticap

The 1 in 48" Pedersoli .45 Kentucky flint is a fairly slow twist for that caliberr which some may consider to be optimal.
A slow twist in the Lyman Investarms .50 is 1 in 60", so when a person goes down to .45 the 1 in 48" is very close to being the proper slow twist.
Another reason for the 1 in 48" in .50 is that it wouldn't need as large of a powder charge to produce the RPM's needed to stabilize the ball.
With the slower twist .50's folks need to load close to 100 grains of powder to get the best accuracy.
But the 1 in 48" allows for more variance of powder charges.
Of course, it could also offer some additional choice of projectiles for those who so choose.

Cherry's sells it in .45: --->>> http://www.cherrys.com/ped_rif1.htm

Pedersoli product page: --->>> https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...ock-model.html
Old December 9, 2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
Obviously to sell but on a "Rock-Crusher", not my cup of tea. Now, 1:48 has been around longer than you might think and often, for no apparent reason. I read where the Hawken brothers were putting out 1:48 back then. ...

Good to hear from ya and;
Be Safe !!!
Hawken did have at least one rifling machine. The one known to exist is at the Missouri Historical Society and it is indeed a 1:48 twist.
Old December 12, 2020, 04:24 PM   #7
Deltadart

I have the Pedersoli percussion Kentucky, although it is from the early 70s. The rifle is .45 caliber and with 50gr charges of 3f under a PRB it is an accurate rifle. I don't shoot the REAL style bullets so I have no idea if it would give good service with those. This is such a light weight rifle I belive it would be unpleasant to load heavy charges in it.
Old December 12, 2020, 08:32 PM   #8
mehavey

The Pedersoli Kentucky is a 32 squirrel gun.
That 48 twist is perfect for that caliber roundball

Old December 12, 2020, 09:30 PM   #9
Deltadart

That is pretty close to the group my .45 Pedersoli Kentucky shoots with prb and 50 gr of 3f.
Old December 13, 2020, 04:41 AM   #10
l.cutler

I've had excellent results with several guns with 1 in 48" twist using round balls. A couple of .50 Investarms Hawken rifles, and an Investarms made Lyman Trade rifle in .54. Benched they will all cut one ragged hole groups at 50 yards.