The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Jakobs Gunworks

Found this Inside a Mossberg 183D-B.

Howdy, Was taking apart and cleaning this here Mossberg Model 183D-B .410 bolt action, and found tiny printed wax paper instructions on assembling the magazine, in the very bottom of the magazine. I've never found something like this INSIDE a gun before. I'm wondering why this was done? Was it an owner, or did the factory leave it in there? Is there any "coolness factor"? Also the paper is very delicate now(been sittin in oil and dust for 40-50 years) should I try and preserve it, or just throw it back in the magazine when I put it back together?

Has anyone ever found something odd inside the gun they were working on, if so what?

Wasn't sure if this tread belonged in shotgun, research or smithy forum.

Thanks y'all ,
Jakob's
Old January 16, 2014, 11:59 PM   #2
Jakobs Gunworks

And of course, I'm unable to post the picture.. I'll try an figure this out.. Suggestions?
Old January 17, 2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Romulus

Sure it has a coolness factor...hang on to it until you can trace the origin, but I'd keep it in any case as a happy memento, whether factory or from previous owner

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old January 17, 2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

On posting pictures: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292842
Old November 29, 2020, 01:01 AM   #5
HW restorations

It was put there by the manufacturer. The one I'm restoring had the same thing. It really is pretty cool.
Old November 29, 2020, 10:01 AM   #6
tango1niner

Many years ago when cleaning a rifle for a co-worker I found small pieces of M & M's in the blind magazine...
Old November 29, 2020, 06:16 PM   #7
pwc

My grandfather had a Winchester Mod 1901 in 10 ga. he bought 2nd hand in 1904. (lever action like in the Terminator, only with full barrel) When cleaning it up, under the butt plate I found 8 hunting licenses; the earliest dated 1914. They are on silk or thin oil cloth (most folks won"t know what oil clothe is).on the back lists what the license allows the bearer to "take". Note, there are no tags, or stamps associated or additional costs involved.

Well I wanted to post a pic of the 1914 license but this only allows url as a source.
Old November 29, 2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

I've found a number of odd-interesting things in guns but another gunsmith I knew topped them all.

He was brought a WWI Lee Enfield .303 rifle that refused to accept 10 rounds in the magazine.

He dissembled the mag and found a 18kt Gold Hamilton men's wrist watch made in the early 1900's in the magazine.

How it managed to remain there, unfound for many years is only to be guessed at.
One guess as to WHY is that some soldier wanted to protect his expensive watch and stored it in the magazine for some reason, but was never able to recover it.
Other finds I've made was foreign money, pictures, or letters in foreign languages stored under butt plates.
Also odd bugs found inside actions or barrel channels, non-related small gun parts or other ??? parts.