The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2021, 04:57 PM   #1
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Walthers made in Fort Smith

Other than the PPK, does anyone know what models Walther is making in their Fort Smith plant?

Molwn labe!
Old February 18, 2021, 11:00 PM   #2
mpolk

As far as I know, all Walthers are made in Germany except the PPK. Ft Smith is the importer/ distribution center for the others.

Last edited by mpolk; February 18, 2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old February 18, 2021, 11:06 PM   #3
mpolk

I think they have plans for a plant but it is not operational yet.
Old February 19, 2021, 12:33 AM   #4
Forte S+W

Currently, they're only producing the PPK(/S) in .380 ACP in Fort Smith, primarily because the PPK cannot be imported into the US, (Thanks, Gun Control Act...) so it has to be produced domestically.
In the past, Walther licensed out the PPK to other companies in the US, (Interarms, Ranger, Smith & Wesson...) but now that they have their own plant they're producing them here themselves, and based on what I've seen, they're the best of the American-Made PPKs. (The fit/finish is superior to my Smith & Wesson PPK/S.)

Supposedly they have plans to begin producing a lot of firearms stateside, (which isn't surprising how Germany has been treating firearms manufacturers) but they aren't there yet.
However, if the Fort Smith PPKs are any indication, then they'll be fantastic once they finally begin domestic production of more of their firearms.
Old February 19, 2021, 08:43 AM   #5
jar

If they start making a FT Smith PPK or PPK/s in 32acp I'd certainly be interested.
Old February 19, 2021, 11:15 PM   #6
imabmwnut

I live in the Ft Smith area. I have a Colt gold cup .22 and a HK 416 that is an AR type. They both have Ft Smith Arkansas stamped on the side. That’s why I bought them.
Old February 22, 2021, 01:02 PM   #7
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Okay, interesting. Do they have "Made in" stamped on them anywhere?

Molwn labe!
Old February 22, 2021, 01:50 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

Import.
Old March 2, 2021, 11:07 PM   #9
HisSoldier

I wanted to buy a new Fort Smith PPKs to go with my Interarms Ranger PPK and S&W PPKs, but when I saw that they made the rear sight integral (one piece) with the frame that changed, I've developed a hatred of dime saving shortcuts in firearms, perhaps thinking no one would notice. Just add the inflation to the price! We all know we're going to pay quite a bit more than 5 or 10 years ago.
Plus, It may be wrong but read somewhere recently that the slides were made in Germany, if that's true it's Walther at Ulm that cheapened the pistol.

I wish manufacturers would not listen when they are told that we Americans either won't see such things or that we won't pay extra for better guns.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old March 3, 2021, 09:20 AM   #10
Seven High

I hope that they start production of the Walther tph. I would buy one.

Last edited by Seven High; March 3, 2021 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 3, 2021, 11:11 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane
Import.
What's an import? This thread is about PPKs made in Arkansas.
Jeepaholic
Old March 3, 2021, 02:40 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

The statement was the HK 416 has USA stamped on it and made in the US.

Walther imports all of these it through Umarex US.
Old March 3, 2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane
The statement was the HK 416 has USA stamped on it and made in the US.

Walther imports all of these it through Umarex US.
The PPK images on the factory web site don't appear to show any import stamps, nor any German proof marks, nor any mention of UmarexUSA. They do show a rollmark with a Fort Smith, Arkansas, address. This suggests that they are not imported.

https://f8x7p3b6.ssl.hwcdn.net/wp-co...RS_4796001.png

https://f8x7p3b6.ssl.hwcdn.net/wp-co..._4796001_L.png
Jeepaholic
Old March 3, 2021, 05:47 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

Sorry. Someone above mentioned their two guns (not the PPK) and said they must be US made because they have Arkansas stamped on it.

Both those are not American made. They are Umarex imported.
Old March 3, 2021, 06:03 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Are the new 22 LR Walters zinc?
Old March 3, 2021, 06:56 PM   #16
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
Are the new 22 LR Walters zinc?
Their exact composition is unknown, they're made of some proprietary alloy that Walther won't reveal the composition of because it's a trade secret.
At launch, the US Website goofed up and labeled the material as "zinc diecast" on a downloadable chart, but that has long since been corrected.

It is my opinion that it is an Aluminum alloy, simply because the PPK/S-22 is too lightweight to be made of ZAMAK, which is a rather heavy alloy. If you compare the PPK/S-22 to a Phoenix Arms HP22, you'll notice that the HP22 is the exact same weight as the PPK/S-22, despite the fact that the PPK/S-22 is substantially larger. The HP-22 is made of ZAMAK, ergo it's impossible for the PPK/S-22 to be constructed of the same alloy when it is a larger firearm. It's also worth noting that the PPK/S-22 has a solid grip frame, unlike the steel-framed PPK/S which has a conventional skeletonized grip frame. This was done because Walther wanted the PPK/S-22 to weigh roughly the same as the .380 ACP version so that it could be used as a training gun. However, despite the fact that the PPK/S-22's frame is basically a solid chunk of metal, it still weighs roughly 3oz less than its .380 ACP counterpart. Once again, keep in mind that ZAMAK is a rather heavy alloy, so it shouldn't take that much material to increase the weight of the PPK/S-22.
Old March 4, 2021, 12:59 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

A full sized 22 replica pistol isn't ever going to be all steel. And that's okay. Steel is an alloy too.

Walther US is just distribution minus the PPK which never was German after S&W. Umarex US is the importer of all things Walther and none of it is US made.

Import marks required by the registered importer doesn't require a state. But it sure makes it look like it's a "made in" mark.

"Umarex USA moved into a new 117,000 square foot facility in July of 2010, located at Chaffee Crossing in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The new facility is home to its warehousing and distribution operations as well as its corporate offices, which include marketing, sales and a fully staffed customer service department that handles product refurbishment, warranty work and technical advice. Future operations at this facility will also include manufacturing."
Old March 7, 2021, 10:16 AM   #18
Trooper Joe

My Fort Smith PPK/S

I posted this on the Walther Forum in 2019 about my new Fort Smith PPK/S.

https://www.waltherforums.com/thread.../#post-1200322

I have many Walthers but this one is becoming my favorite.

Trooper Joe
Old March 7, 2021, 02:32 PM   #19
Forte S+W

Those new Fort Smith PPKs are absolutely gorgeous, IMO.

As a basis for comparison, here's my S&W PPK/S-1.

Notice the sharper edges, and laser-etched slide markings.

Sure, the rear sights aren't integral to the slide like in the newer models, but I've never had to adjust them anyway, (the PP Series is accurate by design due to its fixed barrel) and to do so would require a rubber mallet and a punch. Besides, there aren't any aftermarket sight options for the PPK/S anyway, so them being dovetailed in is essentially worthless.

Also, in all honesty, I much prefer the all-steel construction of the Fort Smith models over the MIM hammer/trigger on the Smith & Wesson models. Sure, MIM is plenty strong, but it doesn't match the slide/frame, scratches easily, and has visible seams where the two halves of each part are connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W_PPK-S+Buck_120.jpg (147.5 KB, 3465 views)
Old March 20, 2021, 09:35 PM   #20
HisSoldier

Quote:
being dovetailed in is essentially worthless.
You left out the most important words, "To me", as in important to you.

Having the ability to shift the rear sight is essential for me. Also, it's part of the general trend of asking more and providing less, or, dishonesty in modern manufacturing.

Quote:
I much prefer the all-steel construction of the Fort Smith models
Has Walther said this in print? If so I agree, and any time MIM is replaced with gun making materials that's a plus. My S&W PPKs ejector broke, which they immediately replaced with another cheese metal part.

Quote:
(the PP Series is accurate by design due to its fixed barrel)
So are the barrel and sights on the same subframe? No, they are not, AND, the PP series pistols have lots of slop between the slide opening and the barrel, also, the slide to frame "Rails" are short and sloppy, a far cry from being designed as some kind of accurate target gun.
An accurate pistol, like the 1911 when well made, locks up tight as it comes into battery, the barrel is locked to the slide (And therefor the sights) in three or four places, and JMB decided slop was only needed for reloading each cartridge.
This is hard contact, unmovable steel against steel contact that repeats. The opening for the barrel in the slide of the PPKs is only constrained to center by spring pressure, same as the slide on the frame rails in the rear.
If your fixed barrel fallacy can be made to have truth it will be in a single shot pistol in which the cartridge in the chamber, the barrel and sights, and the frame, are all in one piece, as in a bolt action pistol or some breech block that repeats position the same with every shot.
Just because someone says a fixed barrel is more accurate doesn't make it so unless nothing between the sights and the bore can move relative to the other, and if the frame also is aligned for every shot and the trigger repeats with every pull.
So "accurate by design" is deserving of a jaundiced viewpoint, especially since the PP and following models were not designed to be especially accurate but to have average accuracy, which it does.

I have found my own S&W PPKs to be reasonably accurate, if Walther replaced the MIM I'm probably on board for one, and will cut a dovetail for the rear sight myself while cursing them for making me do that.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.