The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 28, 2021, 02:00 PM   #1
bamaranger

Remington Model 14 butt plate

I took my old Model 14 out on a hunt the other day, and was reminded that the hard rubber butt plate has a small, but unsightly chip on the toe. The stock itself is good. I've located a vendor that sells steel butt plates, listing them as for early Model 141 AND 14's. I don't think I've seen a model 14 with a steel butt plate.

Purely speculation, but did the Model 14 come with a steel butt plate as an option or aftermarket accessory? The hard rubber plate on my rifle seems original. I can buy the steel plate, the vendor offers free returns, but I'd rather not go through the process if someone can advise that it likely won't fit.
Old January 28, 2021, 03:52 PM   #2
Scorch

Check out NC Ordnance or Vintage Gun Grips for replica buttplate. NC Ordnance actually says theirs is for a model 14, Vintage Gun Grips is more generic, so bring a tape measure.
https://gungrip.com/remington-model-...utt-plate.aspx
https://www.vintagegungrips.com/prod...s/page/4/?ap=r
Old January 29, 2021, 02:07 AM   #3
bamaranger

That's it!

Scorch, thanks for your reply.

The butt plate that the NC outfit offers is the type that is presently on my rifle.
Their repro part is actually a bit cheaper than the steel plate I've found, and the steel plate is still a question as to whether it will fit on my rifle. I did hear from the vendor with the steel plate, the hole spacing is 3" and that is what is on my Model 14. Whether the profile is correct is another matter.

Still pondering
Old January 30, 2021, 11:48 PM   #4
GarandTd

Hmmm. Now I wonder about my 141. I think it's butt plate is steel.
Old February 3, 2021, 12:47 AM   #5
bamaranger

steel

I bet it is steel. I try and handle every 14 and 141 that I encounter, and my recollection is that the 14's have all had hard rubber, and the 141's steel. The 14's may have a bit more curvature to the butt (!) as well, the 141's a bit flatter in profile. The other thing that I've commonly seen is that either in .35 Rem will have had a recoil pad installed.