The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 1, 2021, 12:00 AM   #1
Spencer267

Carry Handle vs Fixed Iron Sights SHTF

In 2021, are there fixed rear sights that you would put up next to an integrated carry handle in terms of durability or is the A1 and A2 carry handle still king in that regard? Would red loctite bring a detachable rear sight pretty close since it requires extreme heat to remove? Obviously, I'd still have a high end optic like an ACOG or Aimpoint M5 but I'm thinking worst case scenario in a situation where my primary optic has failed and I have to rely on irons since. If the SHTF, I can't exactly order another optic.
Old July 1, 2021, 06:56 AM   #2
imashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer267 View Post
In 2021, are there fixed rear sights that you would put up next to an integrated carry handle in terms of durability or is the A1 and A2 carry handle still king in that regard? Would red loctite bring a detachable rear sight pretty close since it requires extreme heat to remove? Obviously, I'd still have a high end optic like an ACOG or Aimpoint M5 but I'm thinking worst case scenario in a situation where my primary optic has failed and I have to rely on irons since. If the SHTF, I can't exactly order another optic.
A1 / A2 CH is integrated. Or are you asking about flat top upper vs A1/A2? Regardless, both are gtg.
Old July 2, 2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Fishbed77

I use blue locktite on BUIS (red would be a bad idea).

Any BUIS by a quality manufacturer (Troy, DD, KAC, etc) are GTG.
Old July 2, 2021, 11:29 AM   #4
HWS

I would be much more worried about relying on an optic in SHTF rather than worrying about iron sights.
Old July 2, 2021, 12:12 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

If you are talking about the carry handle that is made as part of the upper receiver, the word is "integral". If you are talking about a carry handle or sights that are "bolted on" then "integrated" is a proper usage.

None of the AR rear sights I know of are "fixed". They all have windage adjustment possible. Some easier than others, of course.

Loctite products come in a range of colors, denoting GENERAL properties and they have numbers, or names identifying the specific product.

Loctite Red, (or Blue) doesn't tell me much, there are several grades of both. Loctite (Red) 242 or 271, tells me which specific product it it.

For my firearms I've been using "Guntite" (which is, I believe a Loctite product), the bottle I have has green lettering. It holds well and allows removal of the part using the correct tools, without needing to apply heat.
(be sure to remove ALL oil/grease before applying)

The rear sight of an AR isn't a stressed part. Properly mounted, the generally stay put.
Old July 3, 2021, 07:31 AM   #6
imashooter

He's right you know. Obviously, English is my second language. But then again, if I asked my mate to bring me the Hoover and all we had was a Kirby, I bet I'd soon have a vacuum at hand. BTW, I removed the integral carry handle from my WW and replaced it with hard scope.
Old July 4, 2021, 09:58 AM   #7
Metal god

I have Troy battle sights on 2 of my iron sight AR’s for the SHTF idea . I like them A LOT one has been on a rifle going on 10 years-ish and has never needed adjusting since original zeroing . My only worry about them is they stand up proud at just about a right angle (90*) from the flat top . I can see a hard enough hit or snag on something snapping it right off . How hard that would need to be IDK but that’s what I’ve chosen to use as rear sights on rifles with front sight bases . I also have a couple removable carry handles I can put on flat top AR’s that use optics if need be . Regardless all my firearms regardless of type have backup sights installed if possible even 45* offset irons for scoped rifles .

This is not the best pic showing how tall the Trroy sight is but gives an idea what I was saying . FWIW when talking AR sights fixed usually means they don't fold down out of the way , it's not to mean none adjustable .

44 , I've always used the color code system with Loctite and blue is what I use with most of my firearm parts when needed . I do however get your point because the green lettered Loctite I have is sleeve retaining Loctite and is permanent and heat resistant up to 450* maybe higher . Meaning until you pointed it out I had assumed all green lettered Loctite was permanent and high temp resistant . The one thing I hated and not sure if they still package them this way is . I have blue Loctite and it's in a "red" bottle and a red Loctite that's in a "blue" bottle . That never made sense to me , why aren't they in the same color bottle or all bottles the same color and the lettering different for each ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 5, 2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old July 4, 2021, 12:33 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
44 , I've always used the color code system with Loctite and blue is what I use with most of my firearm parts when needed .
Then I'd say you've been lucky to never have gotten the radically wrong stuff.

I spent over 30 years as a Nuclear Chemical Operator /Nuclear Process Operator, and several of those years were as the "field guy" working for Industrial Safety doing Chemical management inventory and storage inspections, worker right to know laws, MSDS management and other related things at a large nuclear site.

I have no idea why Loctite (or anyone else) chooses what colors for their products. What I can tell you is that the "Color system" of red, blue, green etc. was NEVER USED!!!! We, meaning the maint workers (fitters, millwrights, electricians, etc) never used it, the people who wrote, and reviewed the work packages (including myself) never used it. Red, blue, green, purple, the color of the material, and the color of the bottle it came in, it was all irrelevant.

It was the name of the product, as shown on the bottle and on the MSDS (which, I understand, they call something else now) and, they had to match, that identified the product. Everything we used was that way. There was no "red" or "blue" there was Loctite 242 or 222 or 271 or ..etc

A Locktite sealant that is designed to be twisted loose by hand and one that is made to never be removed, ever might be in the same color bottle.

In a way, you can think of it like ".38 ammo" There's at least half a dozen different cartridges that begin with ".38" in their name. You need more than that to be sure of getting the right one. Just using "red" or "blue" or whatever could lead to problems you might have avoided easily.

Quote:
FWIW when talking AR sights fixed usually means they don't fold down out of the way , it's not to mean none adjustable
Thank's for pointing that out. I'm not really "up" on current AR slang, but I will say I think that a rather poor choice of term, as it is not consistent with the usage of the same word in the rest of the industry. Not saying its wrong, as the term "fixed" does mean not moveable, like fixed landing gear on old airplanes (does not fold, does not retract, etc.) its just when referring to sights, "fixed sights" has had the same, one meaning for more years than most of us have been alive and using it a different way requires understanding context.

There is some wiggle room, the "fixed" sights on many pistols are actually drift adjustable for windage, but we call them fixed sights anyway. Fixed sights on other pistols are totally non adjustable, short of physically filing/cutting the sight. Personaly (and yes, I'm weird that way) if would say non-folding if I meant non-folding, and not say fixed, but, that's just me...
Old July 4, 2021, 08:56 PM   #9
HWS

OP, if you are worried about durability of rear sights in that they might fall off, you can get Daniel Defense rear sights which are one piece and slip on the rail from the rear. They will not come off.

https://danieldefense.com/a1-5-fixed-rear-sight.html