The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 27, 2021, 10:36 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

Is there a good holster that has no metal fasteners?

It seems a lot of holsters have metal snap fasteners that could easily scratch a gun's metal upon drawing. The revolvers I have in mind are Smith & Wessons with satin stainless finishes. This finish is much better for holster wear than chrome-finish or blue finishes. Satin/dull/matte stainless finishes hide minor scratches and gritty haziness better than clear shiny finishes. Models 686 and 629 are what I would carry.

I'd be interested in a crossdraw holster, leather or nylon, with no metal fasteners that could harm gun finish whatsoever.

The nylon fanny packs I use for my city pistols have non-metal zippers and no interior metal parts. Those plastic zipper teeth are much softer than gun metal.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:59 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Sure, you can get holsters without metal fasteners. But even if you do want one that incorporates a metal snap or tension screw, it can be done in a way that keeps it from touch the gun's finish in normal use.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:08 AM   #3
ballardw

Exposed metal like a snap fastener on the inside of holster where it can rub on the pistol is one of the indicators of a "cheap", not inexpensive, product.

There are lots of holsters that retain by tension, either from a screw or how it fits the pistol and material characteristics.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:20 PM   #4
AlongCameJones

I have been doing a lot of Googling,

and can't seem to locate a snapless holster to fit a modern d/a Smith Model 629 N-frame w/ 6" barrel. The only quick-draw holsters I've seen are cowboy holsters for Colt peacemakers.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:35 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

As long as the fasteners are solid brass and not merely brass-plated or nickle-plated steel, I wouldn't worry about it. Nickle-plated brass is ok. But how can you tell? A magnet will reveal the truth. Both brass and nickel are softer than steel.
Old May 28, 2021, 03:23 PM   #6
AlongCameJones

This Galco holster has a strap over the top of

the hammer. Many holsters for modern revolvers do have a such strap. This will slow me down if I have to draw in hurry. I also need to be able to draw and fire with one and only one hand in case the other hand is busy or disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRm1qtRL6Y
Old May 28, 2021, 08:31 PM   #7
Bob Wright

Here was my favorite for smallbore revolvers, a Don Hume 171OT with my S&W Model 586:

Bob Wright
Old May 28, 2021, 08:35 PM   #8
Bob Wright

AlongCameJones saith:

Quote:
the hammer. Many holsters for modern revolvers do have a such strap. This will slow me down if I have to draw in hurry. I also need to be able to draw and fire with one and only one hand in case the other hand is busy or disabled.

The Don Hume fills the bill for your needs!

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; May 29, 2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:37 PM   #9
AlongCameJones

I checked out the Don Hume site. Can their OT holsters be positioned on the belt for cross draw? I'm sending them an email to ask them some custom holster design questions. If I get a Smith .44 Mag. large-frame for bear country, I will need a good fast holster for it that is molded to hold the gun firmly. You always need a good holster for very serious carry purposes whether a beat cop, a trail-drive cowboy, a soldier or a hunter in bear woods. You can't buy a pricey gun and go cheap on holsters. The Don Hume OT holster lacks tension screws and relies on high-quality stiff stitched leather and good gun-specific form-fitting to hold the shootin' iron securely.

The other beautiful thing about the open-top holsters is there are no metal parts to scratch gun steel.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; May 29, 2021 at 01:02 AM.
Old May 29, 2021, 06:11 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I looked at several catalogs for you.
Crossdraw holsters without snaps or straps are not common.
Here is one.
https://www.mernickleholsters.com/sh...ter-p211257306

Andrews and others have cross draws with thumb breaks that will not slow your draw if you practice with them. The lining covers the back of the snap.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
Old May 29, 2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Sharkbite

Galco and Bianchi both make good holsters that fit your needs.
Old May 29, 2021, 08:38 PM   #12
AlongCameJones

It might just be better to wear an OT holster

on the strong side after all for better security against falling out. Now let me ask this question.

Can a hunter sling a rifle over his right shoulder while wearing his sidearm on his right side? Will the right-side holstered gun get in the way of the shoulder-slinging operation? I've never work a holster before nor have I ever worn a sidearm will carrying a rifle. In the army I was only issued a rifle: no, pistols, no holsters.

I would like to see some pictures of a rifle slung over a right shoulder with a pistol by the right side of the person also.
Old May 30, 2021, 06:18 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongCameJones View Post
on the strong side after all for better security against falling out. Now let me ask this question.

Can a hunter sling a rifle over his right shoulder while wearing his sidearm on his right side? Will the right-side holstered gun get in the way of the shoulder-slinging operation? I've never work a holster before nor have I ever worn a sidearm will carrying a rifle. In the army I was only issued a rifle: no, pistols, no holsters.

I would like to see some pictures of a rifle slung over a right shoulder with a pistol by the right side of the person also.
It’s been quite a few years since I’ve hunted deer, but I used to sling my rifle on my right side while carrying my .41 mag on my right hip and I don’t recall it bothering me. At least it didn’t bother me as much as my pants falling down, a better belt and suspenders fixed that.
Old May 30, 2021, 08:08 AM   #14
AlongCameJones

I was worried that the rifle and the sling

would catch on the holstered gun if everything was on the same side.
Old May 30, 2021, 01:44 PM   #15
Pathfinder45

They would definitely bump into each other.
Old May 30, 2021, 03:44 PM   #16
burrhead

Chest holster. Do a Google and you'll find a plethora.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster

https://diamonddoutdoors.com/product...-chest-holster

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old May 30, 2021, 05:03 PM   #17
AlongCameJones

Well, then I might I have to then sling my deer rifle on my left shoulder and hold the sling with my left hand if my pistol is holstered on my right (strong) side. Since I shoot a rifle right-handed too, it may take a couple more seconds to get my rifle to my right shoulder in mounted position from the left-shoulder-slung position if a nice doe opportunity comes up. This keeps my right (shooting) hand free to draw my strong-side pistol in a hurry in case some Smokey jumps me in the woods.
Old May 30, 2021, 09:21 PM   #18
Bob Wright

Yep, right handed holster and slung rifle play like cat and dog. They just don't go together.

Bob Wright
Old May 31, 2021, 01:17 AM   #19
Pathfinder45

That's another good feature of the cross-draw holster in that it avoids conflict with your rifle.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:36 PM   #20
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
As long as the fasteners are solid brass and not merely brass-plated or nickle-plated steel, I wouldn't worry about it. Nickle-plated brass is ok. But how can you tell? A magnet will reveal the truth. Both brass and nickel are softer than steel.
Softer than steel so it won't damage the metal-- but maybe not softer than the finish which it may mar or wear away.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:49 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Many holsters for modern revolvers do have a such strap. This will slow me down if I have to draw in hurry. I also need to be able to draw and fire with one and only one hand in case the other hand is busy or disabled.
"Thumb break" designs specifically address the issue, literally unsnapping the retaining strap as your hand closes on the gun's grip. IF that, or a regular strap slows you down, I'd say that's your problem, because it doesn't slow me down any amount worth worrying over.

Every holster I've ever had allows for one handed draw, even the WWII German "luggage case" holsters with a belt buckle type strap can be manipulated with just one hand. The difference is in how long it takes!

Straps are there to keep the gun in the holster until YOU take it out. If you find them too much of a drawback, that's your opinion, but consider the trade offs.

A fraction of a second longer on the draw due to the need to unsnap a strap, versus the possibility of your gun going its own separate way (and out of reach) if you are something other than upright.

Suppose you trip, fall, or have to "dive for cover", and discover that you are now in one place and your pistol is somewhere else, possibly yards away? What is the "inconvenience" of a strap worth, then??
Old May 31, 2021, 07:09 PM   #22
Shadow9mm

check out don hume holsters. they have several with no metal fastners. great leather.
Old May 31, 2021, 09:57 PM   #23
Midnightraider

For your woods or bear gun this wood be nice.....
https://ringlercustomleather.com/

They do custom work also
Old May 31, 2021, 11:54 PM   #24
Jim Watson

Carry the rifle African style, sling over the left shoulder, rifle upside down, muzzle down and forward. A fast draw rig. See posts 2 and 14 by a user.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-sling.810533/