The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 23, 2021, 03:43 PM   #26
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR1 View Post
None. Mine stays with me, not in my truck.

Bill

I can understand that if I just had one pistol that I carried that served all of those purposes but I have an every day carry that goes on me in my pocket and then I have the one in my truck for long trips that becomes the primary weapon for when I’m in the truck.

In other words, the one that I have in my pocket would just stay in my pocket and the one that I carry in my truck would be the one that I’d go to if a self-defense situation came up while I was in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2021, 04:05 PM   #27
Ricklin

Not in the car

Property crime is through the roof in the metro area I most often visit.

Smash and grab is the standard method. The crooks know where to look.

Their total time to do the deed is under one minute. The standard uniform includes a hoodie as most lots have cameras.

That metro area is greater Portland, Or. where the "homeless" have city council seats, sure seems that way.

Don't leave a gun in your car. A safe or lockbox MIGHT help.
Old July 23, 2021, 04:45 PM   #28
wachtelhund1

I'm in a real rural area. In one vehicle I leave a marlin pump rifle in 25-20. It is in a gun case. In the second vehicle I lease a Sig P230 in a pistol case.
Old July 23, 2021, 08:44 PM   #29
Crankylove

None. I don’t leave guns in vehicles.
Old July 23, 2021, 08:50 PM   #30
JustJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake
Guns left in vehicles result in a high rate of theft. Ask the Memphis Tenn. P.D.
Quote:
Wouldn’t somebody have to know it’s in there first?
Noop, not at all.

Smash the window. Commence to searching.

Hell, just last week the boosters pranced into a fully staffed retail clothing store - with security cams running - and literally just walked out 20-mins later with everything they could carry.

Why should your locked vehicle be any more of a deterrent?
Old July 23, 2021, 09:30 PM   #31
TunnelRat

I’d add that having stickers all over your car for your various favorite firearms manufacturers is not a great idea if you do leave your firearm in your car. Criminals may not always be the brightest, but still.

Old July 23, 2021, 10:02 PM   #32
Kurbsky

I agree that leaving your gun in your truck overnight is not a good idea, unless it's a $200 Bersa or something like that - not a big loss. I believe keeping your gun in a truck gives you more flexibility with the type of gun. I won't necessarily choose to cc something heavy like a 1911 .45 ACP or S&W 686 .357 mag but in a truck it may fit very well. I also don't understand why some peple would drive with their gun unloaded under the back seat in a box. Unless you live in a state with very strict gun laws, I think it should be loaded (I wouldn't keep a round in the chamber though) and be close, like in a glove compartment. It is always better to play coward and drive away from some road rage maniac but if you are squeezed in a dead end and somebody is alreasy shoting at you - you need your protection tool rather soon. I would also question the protective abilities of a civilian vehicle. Maybe some protection against 9mm or smaller. I doubt it would work well against .357 mag.
Old July 23, 2021, 11:14 PM   #33
kenny53

I don't keep guns in my vehicles, guns go in when I slide into the seat. When I get out they go with me.
Old July 24, 2021, 10:21 AM   #34
Laz

Quote:
I agree that leaving your gun in your truck overnight is not a good idea, unless it's a $200 Bersa or something like that - not a big loss.
I understand what you are saying and agree from a value standpoint, but any gun stolen from a vehicle is almost certainly going to be used later in some criminal way. I don’t want to contribute to that, while realizing there is no shortage of stolen guns on the street. But, as a matter of principle…I don’t want to add to the problem.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old July 24, 2021, 12:52 PM   #35
Bill DeShivs

Let me make a point-
If you leave a gun hidden in a locked vehicle, you are not "contributing" to gun theft and illegal use. Only the thief is doing that.

It's almost as if people excuse thievery because it's commonplace.

No one has the right to break into your property and steal things. You are not responsible for their actions.
Old July 24, 2021, 01:28 PM   #36
shafter

Lots of gun owners have their trucks covered with hunting or firearm stickers, or keep things in plain view that indicate a good possibility that there might be a gun in the vehicle. It only takes seconds to smash a window and check the center console, glovebox, and under the seats.

Alot of firearms end up in the hands of criminals because they are taken from the good guys.
Old July 24, 2021, 02:02 PM   #37
dgludwig

Quote:
If you leave a gun hidden in a locked vehicle, you are not "contributing" to gun theft and illegal use. Only the thief is doing that.
AMEN!
Old July 24, 2021, 04:45 PM   #38
Bill DeShivs

And, I don't have a truck.
Old July 24, 2021, 10:17 PM   #39
shurshot

No truck?
Old July 24, 2021, 11:42 PM   #40
TheGlimmerMan

None because I don’t believe in off body carry.
Old July 25, 2021, 04:34 AM   #41
Bill DeShivs

Cars. No trucks.
Old July 25, 2021, 10:43 AM   #42
jmr40

I avoid leaving guns unattended in vehicles but it simply can't be avoided at times. If I do, it is usually a G19.

Winston Churchill
Old July 25, 2021, 11:06 AM   #43
Shadow9mm

no truck here, just a car. And nothing. I live in the city, so leaving guns in the vehicle, even out of sight is a no-go for me. Only have what I am carrying, usually a P365, 10+1 in the gun, and a spare 15.
Old July 25, 2021, 11:51 AM   #44
JustJake

Quote:
Noop.

Memphis, Tenn. P.D., the Mayor, and certain city council folks there say the gun owner who leaves his gun in the car, which is then broken into and taken by the thief, shares the guilt for the crime 50/50 with the thief.
Old July 25, 2021, 12:59 PM   #45
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Noop.

Memphis, Tenn. P.D., the Mayor, and certain city council folks there say the gun owner who leaves his gun in the car, which is then broken into and taken by the thief, shares the guilt for the crime 50/50 with the thief.

Soo uh, does the Memphis PD, the mayor and those certain city council folks feel the same way if someone’s ride is actually broken into to snatch up a purse, radar detector, flashlight or just whatever else of other value might be in there, whether it’s left in plain sight or not?

I’ve never heard of anybody who leaves a gun in a car actually leaving it in plain sight but as long as they didn’t, they still considered as half the blame? That’s a little messed up because like I said, somebody would have to know it’s in there if that was the sole purpose of breaking in.

Old July 25, 2021, 01:17 PM   #46
Mike38

It comes in with me every night after work, but during the day out on service calls, I keep a KelTec P32 with an extra magazine in the van.
Old July 25, 2021, 02:23 PM   #47
Bill DeShivs

Memphis is run by Democrats. The "police chief" was chosen because of her liberal views (and her race.) The city council is full of imbeciles. The mayor is a liberal from somewhere up north.

That's why everyone has moved out of Memphis. I live in Collierville-a suburb, and am looking for a home out of Shelby County.
Old July 25, 2021, 02:45 PM   #48
FAS1

No "truck gun" for me. I am fortunate that I do not have to go to work at a place that is a GFZ. However, I do understand those that do and want to have their gun to and from someplace or any stops in-between.

I hope that most just realize that a locked car is just not very secure. It's not about a gun's value, but putting a gun into a criminals hands. Always the thief is to blame, but I take responsibility to make it hard for them so they move on to a softer target. I hate thieves!

Old July 25, 2021, 04:18 PM   #49
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Memphis is run by Democrats. The "police chief" was chosen because of her liberal views (and her race.) The city council is full of imbeciles. The mayor is a liberal from somewhere up north.

That's why everyone has moved out of Memphis. I live in Collierville-a suburb, and am looking for a home out of Shelby County.

That, actually makes a lot of sense. Only a group of beetleheaded Liberal Democrats would come up with something like that.

Old July 26, 2021, 08:35 AM   #50
Moonglum

I understand that I am not responsible for the criminal actions of a criminal. If somebody breaks into my car that is 100% on them.

Having said that, I know that car burglaries are common. I've heard too many cops on too many forums talking about how many times they've been to a car burglary and the thief found a gun in the glove box or in the center console or under the seat not to know that I should take precautions against it. I believe that it's incumbent on me to take reasonable precautions to mitigate a known risk.

If you know the likelihood of a gun being stolen from your vehicle is so high that you PLAN for it by buying a cheap gun to leave in your vehicle and you do it anyway then IMO you bear some of the responsibility.

There really isn't any place that I go to on a regular basis where I'm required to disarm before I go into the building. If I do go someplace where I have to disarm there's a steel lock box cabled to the frame in my car and that's where I lock my gun.

The other thing that I've noticed almost every time this discussion comes up is somehow people who leave their gun secured in their car because they're required to do so to enter an NPE are somehow conflated with people who have a "truck gun" that lives in the door panel of their vehicle and isn't secured by anything more than locking the car doors.

I'm sorry but in my opinion routinely leaving a firearm of any type unsecured in your car is a stupid thing to do.

That doesn't mean that I think you should be held criminally liable if a thief breaks into your car and steals it. It just means that I'll tell you you're an idiot when you come in b**** to me about it.