The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2021, 05:27 PM   #1
Prof Young

More on Garand . . .

Mil Supr Fans:
Took the Garand out and adjusted the Schuster gas port so I can shoot heavier bullets. When I first got it to lock open after a shot I loaded up a clip and discovered that it wasn't chambering a new shell. Had to crank the Schuster over one more quarter turn to get it to chamber new round. Then all was fine.

There was one incident wherein the clip was ejected while it still had two rounds in it. I'm guessing that is not normal?

Noticed for the first time that there are three "rings" where the strap can be attached. See pic below for the forward most two rings. Note that the one nearest the muzzle is an "open" ring. Does that have something to do with the bayonet? What's the deal with the three rings?

Anyway, I'm having a great time shooting this gun. Put some paper targets up and at 100 yards and with peep sight all the way at the bottom and windage dead center, the "holes" were appearing about six inches below where I was aiming. However, that black front sight on a black target made exact spot of aim a touch tough to determine. (Would it be anathema to paint the front sight of a Garand a bright color?) I didn't adjust the sights any and just had a good time ringing the 100 yard gong on almost every shot.

Bought this gun for the history of it and the fun of it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garand.jpg (120.5 KB, 48 views)
Old June 5, 2021, 06:19 PM   #2
Steve in PA

The ring closest to the muzzle is called a stacking swivel. It’s for stacking the rifles......kind of looks like a teepee.

As for the enbloc ejecting.....could need a new spring.
Old June 5, 2021, 06:20 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Noticed for the first time that there are three "rings" where the strap can be attached. See pic below for the forward most two rings. Note that the one nearest the muzzle is an "open" ring. Does that have something to do with the bayonet? What's the deal with the three rings?
That mysterious "open ring" nearest the muzzle is a stacking swivel. Two soldiers would hook their Garands together using those open swivels, a third soldier would place his Garand against the other two forming a tripod. The rest of the squad could then lean their rifles against those three. Out in the field there were no rifle racks so ergo, stacking swivels.
Note: My M1 Garand was a Springfield, number 1603418. That was back in August-October, 1962, Fort Knox, KY. Company A-11-3.
Old June 6, 2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Ifishsum

Adjusting your sights to use a six o-clock hold will usually help with hold consistency on round black targets. On an SR-1 target the black circle is 6MOA so the X-ring is basically 3 inches above the top of the sight. With my Garand that is about 7-8 clicks up from the bottom and most are in that range.
Old June 6, 2021, 12:07 PM   #5
10-96

Quote:
There was one incident wherein the clip was ejected while it still had two rounds in it. I'm guessing that is not normal?
Early clip ejection occurring just one time may be a fluke from being dry- or if it does it again, it could be a bit of a booger to chase down the exact cause. If it happens again, a feller might start with the least expensive parts to swap out. This guy here has a pretty good esplaination of trouble shooting early clip ejection... There was one incident wherein the clip was ejected while it still had two rounds in it. I'm guessing that is not normal?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 6, 2021, 12:09 PM   #6
10-96

Dangit, government computer won't let me fix that link.

https://www.tanksrifleshop.com/m1-ga...clip-ejection/

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 3, 2021, 04:34 PM   #7
hps1

M1 Garand: Field Expedient Fix for Premature Clip Ejection

I maintained the 8 M1' s issued to our club by the DCM (now CMP) for many years. We completely shot out the barrels on three (which DCM replaced) and shot thousands of rounds through the others. Never had to replace a clip release or CR spring, but did "repair" a number of follower arms due to premature ejection of (partially loaded) clip.

Follower arms are subject to wear in the hole for pin that holds bullet guide, follower arm and op-rod catch to the receiver and throws the rifle out of time, allowing clip ejection on 7th round; severe wear can cause clip ejection on 6th round. Wear between these two parts can be detected by inserting pin in the arm; should be very little play between the two parts. (Pin can also wear and contribute to the problem, so inspect pin and replace if wear is visible.)

Wear in follower arm hole can be corrected by bending the follower arm using a vice or a simple tool you can make from a couple of pieces of square hot rolled steel (see pics), a brass punch and 2 or 3# hammer and a machinist's rule or calipers if you have them:

Place the worn follower in between vice jaws (not tight; just close enough together to use as an anvil against the cross pins) after marking near center as shown and measure distance from your jig (or vice) to top of follower @ mark.

Place your brass punch (suggest a bit larger than the one show) at your mark and tap briskly w/hammer; check measurement and repeat until you have bent the follower about 1/32" at the mark. Easy does it, as you cannot "unbend" the arm if you go too far. Assemble rifle and test fire.
If it still ejects prematurely, repeat above.

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course, as suggested above, other defects, such as worn clip release or CR spring can cause the issue, but over the years, I never encountered that problem. Suggest you have a new follower on hand in event you get carried away and bend it a bit too far, but I have yet to need the new follower arm.

Over the years, repaired a number of follower arms, replaced op rod springs, firing pins, ejectors, & extractors in that order, but considering the thousands of rounds fired through these 8 rifles, breakage was very light. The Garand is a very sturdy and dependable rifle!

Regards,
hps

Last edited by hps1; July 3, 2021 at 04:44 PM.