The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 13, 2021, 07:45 PM   #51
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
Just because people are stupid doesn't mean deer are smart.
You're not wrong
Old June 13, 2021, 07:57 PM   #52
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Man…id love to have the crystal ball that tells me where/when im going to be attacked and need my pistol. If i had one of those..i would avoid that place.

Since i dont have that ability… i carry everywhere i can.
This comment really doesn't have anything to do with this discussion. No one is talking about not carrying wherever legal.
Old June 14, 2021, 07:45 AM   #53
Mannlicher

Avoiding problems is a big factor in having to deal with fewer problems. That said, it's not always possible to avoid things. Crime and evil don't just live on the other side of the tracks. I look at my various self defense options as insurance, and as with my house insurance or car insurance, I hope not to use it, but I have it just in case.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 15, 2021, 06:03 PM   #54
FireForged

Quote:
Avoiding problems is a big factor in having to deal with fewer problems. That said, it's not always possible to avoid things. Crime and evil don't just live on the other side of the tracks.
Sure.. but lets not pretend that the bad part of town isnt the bad part of town for very good reasons. Common sense is a fairly important factor in these things if a person intends to mitigate the compounding of unnecessary risk.
Old June 17, 2021, 11:55 PM   #55
KyJim

We've always told our kids, "Nothing good happens after midnight." We know they have always heeded our advice.

But I wanted to address two points made in previous comments: (1) the admonition to lock doors and (2) FireForged's post #20 in which he says, "Firstly, there is no such thing as luck."

I address these points by referring to horrible luck a family in my area suffered that involved an unlocked door and the murder of a child. My information is obtained from the Kentucky Supreme Court Opinion found here: https://appellatepublic.kycourts.net...1f228/download

The defendant was known as "an exemplary, dependable, and trustworthy employee" with no history of mental illness. He began exhibiting bizarre behavior the first week in December 2015 which culminated in instances of sobbing, babbling about inane subjects, and leaving his fiancé, with whom he had gone shopping with earlier in the day for an engagement ring. He was thought to be headed from his residence in Indianapolis to relatives living in Florida.

Instead, he wound up in Versailles, Kentucky, a small town he had never been to before. Versailles is about 10 to 12 miles off I-64.

The defendant told investigators that "he saw a street sign that said either “Grey’s Street” or “Grey’s Road.” He said the sign made him think of the television show “Grey’s Anatomy,” which, in turn, made him believe he needed to perform surgery. The house he chose to enter was the home of the Tipton family. He said he selected the home because of the Christmas lights on the outside." Opinion, p. 5. Unfortunately, a key had broken of in the backdoor lock a few days before and the front door was left unlocked so one of the family members could enter the house without waking the other family members after she got off work.

Instead, the defendant entered about 4:00 a.m. and stabbed and killed a six-year old child with a butcher knife. The child's father was able to struggle with the defendant and take away the knife. A jury found the defendant not guilty of murdering the child and burglary by reason of insanity, but guilty of two felony assault charges and a misdemeanor. The opinion upheld the guilty verdicts against the argument that they were inconsistent with the not guilty by insanity verdicts. I won't go into that any further.

The point is that there is such a thing as luck because a madman chose a house for no reason other than it was on Grey Street/Road and had Christmas lights on it. In addition, the house happened to be unlocked due to the seemingly random event of a key breaking off in a door lock. The result was a tragedy.
Old June 18, 2021, 09:21 AM   #56
Onward Allusion

just a thought

Sometimes one can't avoid - "stupid". Chicago as an example of a "stupid" place - carjackings and even bicycle-jacking - in the middle of the day in downtown Chicago . . .
Old June 18, 2021, 10:08 AM   #57
ghbucky

Quote:
Sometimes one can't avoid - "stupid"
Just so. I live in a quiet, very low crime part of Northern KY. I carry whenever I leave the house because you simply never know what madness you can get caught up in.

EXCEPT: Pre-pandemic I regularly traveled to LA for work. Clearly, I could not carry a gun there. My daily work commute was a 6 block walk through the heart of downtown that was sprinkled with a large number of homeless and frequently incoherent people.

I simply avoided them and never had an issue.

By the terms of the OP I was being 'stupid' by being there.

But, my financial obligation to provide for my family dictated that I be there and I took care to avoid any kind of interaction on the streets.
Old June 18, 2021, 05:45 PM   #58
Ed4032

Assume that you are of average intelligence with an IQ of 100. That means that half the people that you encounter are stupider than you are. Most need to be avoided.
Old June 19, 2021, 06:55 AM   #59
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
Assume that you are of average intelligence with an IQ of 100. That means that half the people that you encounter are stupider than you are. Most need to be avoided.
If it's AVERAGE then the largest number of people are going to have it.

To simplify it HALF the population is of average intelligence. A QUARTER are BELOW and a QUARTER are above. AND not all of the people who are below are even SIGNIFICANTLY bow.
Old June 19, 2021, 07:56 AM   #60
Double Naught Spy

Withdrawn.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; June 19, 2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old June 19, 2021, 03:20 PM   #61
stinkeypete

For a random symmetrical (Gaussian) distribution, the median and the average happen to be the same number.

When the distribution becomes skewed, the average tends towards the tail of the population graph compared to the median.

When it comes to stupid, I’m okay with half the people are below average. (I did see the rule about after midnight. After midnight, functioning IQ of a hundred is pretty rare in most taverns.
Old June 19, 2021, 03:50 PM   #62
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
For a random symmetrical (Gaussian) distribution, the median and the average happen to be the same number.
Point well taken. I was considered the data from a raw standpoint, not normalized. And to add to what you said, so too can the mode fit with the mean and median (though that would be rare).

In IQ distributions (which are normalized to be Gaussian), ~68% within 1 standard deviation of the mean set at 100.
Old June 19, 2021, 06:31 PM   #63
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
If it's AVERAGE then the largest number of people are going to have it.

To simplify it HALF the population is of average intelligence. A QUARTER are BELOW and a QUARTER are above. AND not all of the people who are below are even SIGNIFICANTLY bow.
No.

Not a single person would be exactly of average intelligence. It is a continuous distribution.

If this is the extent of your grasp of elementary high school statistics, I am starting to doubt your ability in following the tenets of your own "Law of Stupids". So I am not putting much stock into it.

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 19, 2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old June 19, 2021, 06:42 PM   #64
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
Point well taken. I was considered the data from a raw standpoint, not normalized. And to add to what you said, so too can the mode fit with the mean and median (though that would be rare).

In IQ distributions (which are normalized to be Gaussian), ~68% within 1 standard deviation of the mean set at 100.
YES!

But..... that standard deviation in relation to the expected deviation from the mean, (kurtosis or "peakedness" ) is a BIG DEAL. In fact, other bell shaped distributions such as the Pearson distribution are more flexible in that they do not conform to a pre-determined "peakedness" as the normal distribution does.

If IQs were distributed as the figure on the top, the difference between the "smart" and the "not so smart" would not be very pronounced. Furthermore as you said, IQ distributions are NORMALIZED form their raw percentile scores: they are forced to approximate a particular normal distribution but they are not necessarily distributed as such in reality. This is done for mathematical and estimation convenience. Of course there are tests to check for this (i.e: Jarque-Bera or Kolmogorov-Smirnov, but they assume that the parameters of the normal <the average and standard deviation> are known with certainty).

Moreover the calculation of IQ scores (by psychologists ) has always been controversial, with recoding and "re-designing" of results that do not fit, and convenient reparametrization of data. Psychology is not my area, but it is my understanding that IQs are not useful for comparisons among individuals or races (which by the way the Chinese LOVE to do), but they are more useful when comparing the same individual with himself/herself at different points in time, specially before and after some significant event (death of a loved one, PTSD, etc).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normal peakedness.jpg (23.4 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 19, 2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old June 19, 2021, 08:25 PM   #65
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
No.

Not a single person would be exactly of average intelligence. It is a continuous distribution.

If this is the extent of your grasp of elementary high school statistics, I am starting to doubt your ability in following the tenets of your own "Law of Stupids". So I am not putting much stock into it.
It really bothers you that I called your buddy out on his stories doesn't it
Old June 19, 2021, 09:06 PM   #66
JohnKSa
Staff

I can't imagine where this will go if it stays open.

...well, actually I can. So...