The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 5, 2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Battle66Delta

Savage Stevens 200 setup for a novice

I've never owned a Savage rifle before, or a bolt-action long gun in general. My rifle experience has been limited to my time in the service and one type of rifle, the M16A2. Now I've picked up a Savage Stevens Model 200 in .270 for next to nothing and I would appreciate some advice on the setup, specifically the optics. I've never used anything except the issued A2 sights before and while I'm ok on a range, my knowledge of actual firearms is limited. This rifle has no iron sights or glass, just the pre-drilled holes. Ideally, I would want a rear peep sight as a backup with a properly paired front sight, however, I would like to set it up so that the peep sight is not in front of the action, but as far to the rear as possible. I would also like to be able to put a scope on it with enough clearance to not hinder the iron sights. The receiver is round on the Model 200, and it seems from what I've read on the interwebs that I'm a bit limited on options because of it. I definitely want to avoid drilling/tapping if possible and I'm not a huge fan of the buckhorn, express or v-notch style sights and prefer aperture sights like the ghost ring and peep sights. From what I understand, I need to find a rear peep sight which is made for the rounded receiver, a front sight, and ramp with the right height and barrel diameter and the proper rail system to accommodate a decent scope. Any and all advice on different parts, sights, scopes or different ways of doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old February 6, 2018, 01:35 AM   #2
Buzzcook

You have several options. If you use a scope with a low end magnification ie 1x, 1.5x, or 2x there really isn't a need for irons, unless you want them.

Weaver has a side mount base for the Stevens and several companies make "see through" scope mounts.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/P...t/Stevens.aspx
Old February 6, 2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Battle66Delta

Weaver mounts

Thank you Sir. Those Weaver mounts might do the trick. And it appears that Talley even carries a peep sight similar to the Williams, but it looks like it isn't designed for round receivers. Still, the more options the better and I appreciate you taking the time. I definitely want the iron sights, simply because I have 3 crib-midgets and a better half who need to learn to shoot with iron before they touch glass. That was my dad's rules and it took me a long way in the Infantry. I'm insisting on the same. It would be very convenient if I were able to switch between the two on the range. Again, thank you.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Doyle

Iron sights on bolt-action centerfire rifles have largely been phased out by all manufacturers. Get yourself a good quality scope and decent base/rings.
Old February 6, 2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Battle66Delta

Thank you

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.
Old February 6, 2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Doyle

Let me offer you one more thought. You mention wanting to teach 3 youngsters to shoot. Well, you'd have to try real hard to find a worse firearm to train them with than a .270. WAY too much kick and muzzle blast to teach good form without flinching and the cost of factory ammo would be prohibitive to get any kind of serious practice.

For the cost of only a few range sessions worth of ammo for that .270, you could pick up a used .22LR with iron sights and the kids could learn to shoot cheaply and without the kick which would likely cause bad form.
Old February 6, 2018, 07:07 PM   #7
blackwidowp61

I'm with Doyle. A .22 bolt-action rifle is the perfect tool to teach beginners how to shoot. Barely any recoil, less weight, ammo is WAY CHEAPER (which means more shooting practice), you can shoot them at any indoor or outdoor range as the noise is a lot less than a center-fire. You can also use a subsonic ammo like Aguila Super Colibri. It sounds like a pellet gun. You can also vary the targets that you shoot at to make shooting more fun/challenging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old February 6, 2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Battle66Delta

I should have specified

Thanks for the info, guys. I should have specified that my oldest is 13 and already bigger than me, and my wife is fully capable of handling the .270, as she has fired one before. I appreciate the advice and definitely agree that a .22 for my youngest two would be better. They just are not mature enough mentally to teach yet. However, my oldest is, and he already has experience on a .22 LR. My wife is damn good with her .40 cal handgun and a shotgun as well. I just need advice on how to set up this .270 as a target rifle for them to help them hone their fundamentals and learn some long range skills. I'm not going to do away with my plans for the iron sights, regardless of how challenging it may be to find the right ones and set it up properly. I believe that if you don't learn how to shoot with iron first, you lose a valuable skill set. And glass breaks, s*** happens....my mind is made up on setting that .270 up with both iron and glass. I simply need advice on how to do both the best way and where to get specific parts that will work. Thank you for taking the time to try to advise me to go different directions though, and thanks for any advice you can give me regarding what I'm trying to do.
Old February 6, 2018, 11:26 PM   #9
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle66Delta
I'm not going to do away with my plans for the iron sights, regardless of how challenging it may be to find the right ones and set it up properly. I believe that if you don't learn how to shoot with iron first, you lose a valuable skill set.
Perhaps finding a local knowledgable gunsmith might be your best option? I know I am hard-headed and try not to depend on anyone else but have found sometimes it best to turn to a pro....maybe you can find one that will let you pick his brains....

Jerry
Old February 7, 2018, 12:33 AM   #10
Battle66Delta

Good ideas

Yes Sir, I was thinking the same thing. It did cross my mind that a gunsmith might try to sell me something I don't actually want or need (which has happened in the past, hard lessons learned) so I am stoked to see all of the wisdom being shared here and I guess I'm hoping for someone who did exactly what I am trying to do to see the post and say "This is what I did with mine"....may or may not happen but either way, it's all good info and greatly appreciated. Even if it's not a solution, it follows along Edison's whole train of thought...."I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." So again, thanks to anybody who contributes.
Old February 7, 2018, 12:40 AM   #11
taylorce1

I think your idea isn't sound by using the Stevens 200 rifle. If you want to teach the use of aperture sights, then why not go with what you already know and get an AR15? Plus the 5.56/.223 round will be far cheaper and less punishing to teach your family to shoot.

More than just a few rounds of .270 will become quite punishing on the shoulder from a bench or prone position. Not to mention .270 ammo is often more than double the cost of .223, and that can become quite punishing on the wallet as well. If you want to teach your family get something they can shoot in volume without breaking the bank and with the features you already want.
Old February 7, 2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Battle66Delta

Lack of options

To put it simply, the Stevens is what I have. My AeroPrecision AR15 in 5.56 wasn't California compliant and due to relocating to Cali, it had to go, along with my Shield and XDS. I can't do much about liberals. However, I was more or less given this Model 200 for next to nothing and it definitely is California compliant. And it's in good shape. So that's what I have to work with. I definitely understand that there's many better rifles and calibers that would be cheaper to shoot, more comfortable, better for smaller people etc. But I'm working with what I've got as I'm certain other shooters have done in the past. Changing rifles is not an option for me at this time financially and since the person who gave me this rifle is a buddy I served with, I'll be keeping it. I also understand that most people simply throw a scope on these rifles. I won't be doing that until every shooter in my home is comfortable with iron sights first. I want to use glass though since I'm fairly proficient with iron sights already. So any advice on where to get the proper sights and rails to accomplish the desired task would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the input. You guys are awesome.
Old February 7, 2018, 05:27 AM   #13
std7mag

Having a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI the thought of putting open sights on it makes me shudder.

I'm assuming your antelope, maybe some deer, possibly elk hunting. Long shots in Nevada are a decent possibility too i'm guessing. (400+ yards).

EGW solid base. You can get them for $40 all day long. Also available with 20 MOA if you want.
Warne permanent rings, or Vortex Viper rings. In the $40-60 range. Get low profile as the EGW base is kinda high.

For optics a decent 4-12X42 Vortex Crossfire II will set you back about $170.
Leupold and Sightron also make good scopes in that price range.

See www.accurateshooter.com for an article about tuning the action screws.
Oh and get a Fat Wrench if you don't have one already.

If you need any help, give a shout.

Std7mag
Old February 7, 2018, 07:34 AM   #14
Battle66Delta

Thank you Sir

That was very helpful. I checked out the mounts and rings and it looks like it will work well. After you stated that irons sights on this rifle make you "shudder", I spent some more time trying to figure out what it is about iron sights on this rifle that everybody really doesn't like. No, I'm not a hunter. I like to shoot simply for accuracy and range and for fun. But some additional research led me to several other people putting both iron and glass on a Savage .270 at the same time and regretting it. They had to get so close to the iron that they bashed themselves in the face with the scope. Is that what makes you shudder about it? Or is it a different reason? If that is the reason, is there anything wrong with putting ONLY iron sights on it? Or should I just pass on iron altogether for this rifle as others have suggested and go with glass? Either way, thank you again.
Old February 7, 2018, 08:20 AM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

Pass on irons on the rifle altogether. Use the scope. If you want one with irons save up for it. The cost of a gunsmith installation with price of parts is going to run over the price of the rifle you already have. Use the money to buy something that comes with them. Otherwise you get mediocre at best with scope, and irons. It also kills collectors value of the rifle as well.
Old February 7, 2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Mobuck

"This rifle has no iron sights or glass, just the pre-drilled holes. Ideally, I would want a rear peep sight as a backup with a properly paired front sight, however, I would like to set it up so that the peep sight is not in front of the action, but as far to the rear as possible. "

If this is a REQUIREMENT, look at a different rifle. Adding these sights will increase the cost to the point of making the package cost more than just buying a rifle with those features already in place. FWIW having a rear peep AND scope will be an expensive option.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:34 AM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle66Delta
I would like to set it up so that the peep sight is not in front of the action, but as far to the rear as possible. I would also like to be able to put a scope on it with enough clearance to not hinder the iron sights.
Well if you must go this direction, then you have to realize the wanting the scope not to interfere with the "peep" sight just isn't a really an option. You were first suggested See-Thru mounts, and I can tell you from experience this is a horrible idea. These mounts put the scope up so high that for most people it's nearly impossible to get a good cheek weld which is important to proper shooting and accuracy.

Your best option is to go with with a Weaver style base or Weaver rail for mounting optics. The rail is the best way to mount a scope on your rifle, the Savage 110 action is really long so a lot of scope tubes are too short to give proper eye relief without using a rail. This way you can mount your scope in some "quick release" rings and take the scope on and off easily.

If you set the scope up this way then you can get a NEGC Weaver mount rear peep sight. You can get a front sight from Williams, NEGC, or others to get a front sight. You'll have to take the rifle to a gunsmith to have the front sight properly installed by either drilling and tapping your barrel or soldering it onto the barrel. If you do this you can swap between the scope or the peep sight, realize though every time you take either one off you'll need to confirm zero when you swap between irons and optics. The down side is all this will cost around $400 to buy a decent scope, rail, quick release mounts, and front and rear sights at minimum, and that's before paying someone to install the sights.

I still think trying to teach your family to shoot with a .270 is a bad idea. I know in the past it has been done by giving a kid their first hunting rifle in .30-06 or similar cartridge. However, take it from a guy who has started kids shooting and hunting recoil is your enemy. There is reduced recoil ammunition you can buy from companies like Remington or Hornady at around $20 a box of 20, I recommend you start with this before working up to regular factory loads with your family.

I know you say money is tight, but buying ammo to properly teach your family to shoot isn't cheap either just because you own a free rifle. It won't take long for what you'll spend in ammunition to far eclipse the cost of a new rimfire or air rifle with the peep sights you desire. Not to mention you can get 500 rounds of rimfire trigger time for around $45, instead of maybe 40-50 rounds of trigger time with the .270 Win. .177 caliber pellets are far cheaper yet than even .22lr ammunition, around $7 for 500 rounds of trigger time. Trust me your children will stay more interested in shooting if you start them out on something they'll enjoy shooting. Rimfire and air rifles with some cheap reactive targets are a lot more fun to shoot even for a 13 year old than a .270 Win.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:55 AM   #18
Battle66Delta

That makes alot of sense and thanks for taking the time to type all of that out. I have been doing additional research on the configuration type I was considering (scout/General Purpose/Practical rifles) and in the long run, it would definitely be cheaper to get a Takedown 22 for the younger ones and run just iron, and for myself maybe a basic Savage 11 Scout or similar which comes with the sights already mounted where I want them. So.....I have a .270 paperweight with no sights which for the time being doesn't really fit what I'm looking for. Good thing it didn't cost me anything. I'll take the great advice you guys gave and put something together on the .270 which will at least be fun to shoot. Thanks so much to all of you. I really appreciate you not letting me make some very costly mistakes.
Old February 7, 2018, 11:48 AM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I had about thirty years of very active deer hunting, much of it in truly rough and rugged country--walking/stalking hunting.

I found that the Leupold line of scopes is tough. Unaffected by some serious bumps over the years. Sure, others equal it, but I go with what I know from experience.

.270? I'd go with a mid-range, pricewise, 3-9x40 scope. I wouldn't bother with irons because I've never needed them.
Old February 7, 2018, 11:55 AM   #20
Don Fischer

Sounds to me like your pretty well convinced your gonna do what everyone is telling you not to do! You want iron sights and a scope? The older Sako's had just that set up' The scope mount was built into the action and the rear mount hand been designed to accept a rear peep that came with the rifle. I've had three of them and never had a need for the open sight's. You want someone to learn to shoot with open sights, 22 is the best way to go! Actually not much need to learn open sight's other than for the military these days. Scope's are made pretty darn good and the likely hood you break one is extremely thin. I have been shooting rifles well over 60yrs and have had one scope fail me and that's because it took a nasty fall, broke cross wire's. Make that two. Had a very inexpensive Tasco fall apart first time out on a 25-06! We are talking about $50 back in those days.

If your concern is the kids going military, as I recall all we ever had was peep sight's on every thing. So other than peep's your wasting your time on open sight's. Do your kids a favor and get a 22RF with open sight's. In fact get an old enough one and you can't mount a scope on it!

I've shot through open sight's a lot in my life and sometime's they a good choice but as you get older, they become extremely hard to use, your eye's get bad. The absolutely best open sight's I've ever used are peep's with the insert in them removed. Barely notice the rear and the front naturally goes to the strongest light source, right in the center.

I have also found over the years that the best scope's for me are low power scope's. I have a 1-4x on a 30-06 that shooting to 300yds with is no problem. I have a 2 3/4x fixed that ws on a 308 for many years and 300yds wasn't a problem with it either. On another rifle I have a 4 1/2-14x that I fool around with to 500yds and have never used over 8x with it! My favorite is the 2-7x scope and the 3-9x. I've never shot a 3-9x on anything over 6x! I sight in there and hunt with them on the lowest setting's.

Actually I think some rifles do come with open sight's but I think they are all in dangerous game cartridge's, you don't want that. Come to think of it, get a mod 700 Rem with the barrel bored for open sight's and I might have a set I'll give you. Seem like they sit out in front of the action though.

You may in the end get to where your wanting to go but the search and advantage of it won't be worth the while. The idea of using open sights on something like a 270 is out of my ability to comprehend. Ya just don't take a shot at 300yds with a semi buckhorn!
Old February 7, 2018, 05:26 PM   #21
DaleA

Battle66delta-I think you took the advice offered in good spirit.

Post #19 seems like you've taken it all in and made your decision and I hope you get to have some fun with the gun.

If money is really tight I remember having some good luck with low cost scopes, in particular a Bushnell that I got cheap and has served me well for a long time. Disclaimer: the rifle I've got it mounted on is a .270 Winchester but neither the rifle or the scope has seen any 'harsh conditions'...pretty much a range toy.

Despite my experience with the low cost Bushnell I go with most other folk here and would advise to save up and get something really good that can stand up to rough treatment...the old 'buy once, cry once' philosophy. And of course if you decide to go with a scope pay attention to eye relief so none of your family get a case of 'scope eye'.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Hope you stick around.

P.S. I have a coupe firearms that have a personal story with me, like your .270, that I won't get rid of even though I don't shoot them much. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence.
Old February 7, 2018, 08:04 PM   #22
std7mag

A lot of old timers, yup even older than me, use the high see through rings.
Theory is that is scope messed up you could just look at the open sights below the scope.

So either you were stretching up to see through the scope, or you got nailed in the forehead with the scope when you shot looking at the open sights.

I was always told choose one or the other.
Since there is no provision for open sights on the 200, then i'd recommend a scope.
Done right as i had said, then if your up to it the rifle should shoot under 1MOA all day long.

It's a real kick the first couple of times you hit steel at 1000 yards.

Tags
.270 , iron sights , mounts , savage , stevens 200