The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 13, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
EdInk

Ruger New Vaquero in .357

I was looking at a new ruger vaquero montando in .357 and was wondering if it is okay to shoot with full power modern ammo. I know some of the old colt saa aren't rated for modern ammo. What about this gun? I want it to shoot for fun and will probably feed it most .38special lead swc for punching paper. I don't shoot blackpowder or want to either. I just want to know if the new vaquero can handle modern ammo.
Old November 13, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
williamfeldmann

The new vaqueros are just fine for most of the ammo you want to shoot. It's the .45s that you can get into trouble with. The .357 will fire regular .357 just fine. Although you are not going to be using it as a tackdriver. The gun is designed for mounted shooting. If you are not familiar with the sport, you are firing powder blanks only at ballons while at a full gallop around a arena. Outside of about 10 yards I have a hard time getting consistent groups with my .45 montado. If you are planning on hunting or shooting it for competition, the 4 and 3/4 barrel will probably serve you better and be cheaper. Just keep that in mind.