The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 13, 2023, 06:04 PM   #1
Mustang67ford

M70 ranger youth and new featherweight stock

I have a winchester M70 ranger youth in .243 from aroud 1991, it is push feed with solid bottom. I am looking to change the stock and am looking at a M70 SA featherweight stock. However, it has a decelerator recoil pad so that makes me think it is a stock from a newer control feed M70. Can the older m70 ranger youth swap into a newer style M70 stock just as long as it is post 64? My bottom bolt distance is 7 1/8" and this stock I am looking at has the same spacing. I have been reading a lot of posts on this, but couldn't find this specific answer with any certainty.

As for the bottom hardware and magazine, do I have to look for the newer M70 hardware and magazine? Or will any bottom hardware and magazine work as long as it is post 64?
Old May 14, 2023, 10:18 AM   #2
taylorce1

More than likely you'll need a one piece bottom metal with that stock. You can use a two piece bottom metal, but since you're having to get bottom metal you might as well buy one piece. I believe your magazine box will work with the bottom metal, I have done blind magazine stocks using without changing the magazine box with a couple of M70 Winchester rifles.

You might ask your question in the gunsmithing forum. Stocky's Stocks is having a sale on one piece BM at the moment. You can also buy a spacer to let two piece BM work with the newer stock inlet.

Last edited by taylorce1; May 15, 2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old May 14, 2023, 02:59 PM   #3
Paul B.

Interesting. I have an M70 Youth Ranger in .308 Win. that I won in a raffle. Mine came with a standard two piece floor plate. I picked up an M70 Featherweight stock to replace the Ramline stock I replaced the hardwood piece of timber Winchester used on the rifle. I don't know if the FWT stock using a two piece floor plate is different but I had no problem with the conversion.

I am also doing the same thing with a long action FWT stock on a post 64, pre 68 M70 in .243. Dunno if it's pyschological or what but that .243 seems to be much lighter with the stock change. I do have to do some bedding work to complete the fit on both rifles. Probably do some glass bedding as well.
Paul B.
Old May 14, 2023, 06:16 PM   #4
jmr40

The spacing between action screws is the same. The opening for the mag box is SLIGHTLY different on newer model 70's but you can make it work with 2 piece bottom metal. The biggest difference is the depth of the cut into the stock near the trigger guard. One piece bottom metal is thicker at that point but I've made it work by placing 2 flat washers between the bottom metal and wood when using 2 piece bottom metal. You will end up with a slight gap between the floor plate near the trigger guard. It is purely cosmetic and still works.

But it sounds like you need to buy bottom metal either way. That is a good price for the ones at Stockys.

Winston Churchill
Old May 14, 2023, 06:43 PM   #5
Mustang67ford

If I get a new 1 piece bottomplate, does this resolve the issue about the mag box being slightly different? So if I understand, no issue with a newer stock and I should get a 1 piece bottom metal correct?
Old May 17, 2023, 03:52 PM   #6
Mustang67ford

Have the stock ordered, now need the 1-piece bottom plate. Which is better to get quality wise, one from stocky's noted above or try to find a winchester one? I was kind of wanting a gloss one and stock's are blued but a matter blue and not gloss.
Old May 23, 2023, 07:09 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
One piece bottom metal is thicker at that point but I've made it work by placing 2 flat washers between the bottom metal and wood when using 2 piece bottom metal.
I've found that using washers will eventually compress wood, I would suggest bedding the bottom metal cutout, should be fairly easy to do.